Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #1

Smile New Member Hello to the group

Hello to all,

My name is Clint and I am new to the world of RV's. I am letting you all know my dreams have come true. The only thing I wanted in life is a wonderful wife to build a great family with and I can say as I welcome my second son, (born on the 4th of July), my Dreams have and continue to come true. In keeping with the theme of Family. I have always wanted to own a class "A"motor home to take the family around in explore the USA while creating lasting memories for all, together. We took the plunge with the 351DS and have been prep. mode it to take out as soon. I found the groups app and am was excited to join.

I have rented before never owned and I excited for what this lifestyle holds. We plan to drive up from So Cal to Montana and explore for a spell. My wife loves me as is supportive of my craziness for RV, thus I am looking for any advice from you all what can help us greenhorns, and this RVdada as we embank.

Thank you all for for reading and I hope you all enjoy your day!

PS: Especially Tips in toddler proofing the rig, such as covering the stair well and perhaps bunk-netting for the bunks as to prevent a roll out from a tossing toddler.
RVdada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #2

Hello and welcome to the forum from Wv.
themounties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #3

Welcome! We bought a 351 this year after a few years of rentals as well! So far, it's been fantastic fun for us.
I don't have any suggestions on the toddler proofing(we only have cats!) but would highly recommend a few things
Buy a rhino flex sewer pipe if you haven't already.
Screen door bar from camco will make your life easier closing the door
Replace the mattress, it's awful. We ordered one from amazon for about $300 incl shipping
Make sure to buy a 50 to 30 and 50 to 20 amp plug converters

Lots of other suggestions, but those are my top ones! Also, there is a great place to store a broom and mop behind the sliding bedroom door.

Post in the georgetown forum, there are several families with small kids and I'm sure they have some good answers or suggestions for you. There are no dumb questions, and theses forums are great!

Happy travels!
Garren
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:55 PM   #4

Thank you very much for the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RVdada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:48 AM   #5
Site Team

Welcome and enjoy. Looking forward to reading of your experiences. Good or bad, let us know.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 351DS. Congrats on the birth of your second son too!
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 351DS. Congrats on the birth of your second son too!
X2! Hope you have many fun, pleasurable, memorable, safe trouble free trips with your new RV!!! We have 2 sons and started with a class C many years ago and because they have such great memories of our trips with them, they want to take their children to the places we took them.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #8

Welocme from Madison, AL. Congratulations on the new baby and the RV. I guess my suggestion would be to buy a surge guard, you can get one that you hard wire or a plug in one they are between (and I can be off on the numbers) $300 - $400 but when you conceder everything that you have in that new RV the cost of a surge guard is just a spit in the bucket. Have fun making happy memories.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #9

Welcome and congrats from west central Missouri. There is an abundance of great knowledge and awesome Forest River Forum (FRF) friends here, so don't hesitate to ask questions and share your experiences.

2017 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins 4X4 38k mls
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD FatboyLo & 2000 Honda Shadow 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (10) 2017 (10) 2018 (10)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
Welocme from Madison, AL. Congratulations on the new baby and the RV. I guess my suggestion would be to buy a surge guard, you can get one that you hard wire or a plug in one they are between (and I can be off on the numbers) $300 - $400 but when you conceder everything that you have in that new RV the cost of a surge guard is just a spit in the bucket. Have fun making happy memories.
x2 on the surge guard!
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #11
Site Team

Hello from another member in SoCal! I also jumped in with both feet and haven't looked back. There's a learning curve but I took things one at a time. Lots of good memories are ahead.

Happy camping!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote