Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

Thumbs up New Member - Joining Hybrid Family!

Hello all,

previous owner of a pop up here and gained so much knowledge on the pup sites that I was ecstatic when I found this one existed! Making the "upgrade" from pup to Surveyor Sport Hybrid purchased used via private party here in PA. This is my first venture into a travel trailer....had to get new TV and everything...YES I'm broke!!!!

Don't even have the camper yet....hopefully next week...but wanted to do the intro...really looking forward to the site. Going to do some searches now to check for any tips and if anyone is using BAL levelers (2) on their dual axle trailer. I know it's not necess recommended, but also think people still do it. Looking to confirm.

Glad I found you guys!!!!!
96corolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #2

moving up from a pop up ourselves, you will enjoy the conveniences you get out of a TT, except you can't just push it around manually
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Site Team

welcome to the world of Hybrids!

having been on hybrid forums for nearly 8 years, i've never read about anyone using two BAL's on a tandem hybrid.
not saying that you can't, just i've never heard of anyone doing that.

you should post your question in the Expandable/Hybrid section's Discussion sub-forum here.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Surveyor Sport Hybrid. When we had our hybrid I found this forum helpful, Link: Hybrid Explorer
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #5

Thanks Folks!

I did one random google search the other day and say a few people using BAL's on both axel's, but yeah....it's probably not overly common. It's just all I've ever done with the pup so I guess I'm spoiled and dreading the process of leveling with blocks....maybe I'm just lazy!

Thanks for the hybrid link too! I'll check it out. Any tips on first time set ups...order of things, etc would be great. Thanks all!!!!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96corolla View Post
Thanks Folks!

I did one random google search the other day and say a few people using BAL's on both axel's, but yeah....it's probably not overly common. It's just all I've ever done with the pup so I guess I'm spoiled and dreading the process of leveling with blocks....maybe I'm just lazy!

Thanks for the hybrid link too! I'll check it out. Any tips on first time set ups...order of things, etc would be great. Thanks all!!!!
I went from a single axel to a dual this year (Rockwood 2306). I used a BAL with my single... And considered using two for my dual. However, many times with my previous camper, I had to use a deck board to lift my tire up high enough for the BAL to fit under my larger tire... And I knew this would be the case for my new one... So figured since I'd already be lifting it a little anyway, why bother with the BAL's at all? I think if lazy is part of it, using levelers is the way to go (I use lynx).

Now... If your heart is set on using the BAL for a dual set up, I'd say go for it. Cant guarantee it will work but I wouldn't have hesitated in doing so. Just make sure you alternate the lifts in small increments. I did call the mfg and they (of course) advised against it. After having used both set-ups, I just think backing onto levelers is WAY easier. In conjunction with the levelers, I use the "RV Companion" App on my iPhone... It tells you exactly how high you need to go, in inches... So I park it where I want it to set, turn on my leveler app and i add the number of levelers it tells me I need. Back up once... you're finished in about 2-minutes.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
In conjunction with the levelers, I use the "RV Companion" App on my iPhone... It tells you exactly how high you need to go, in inches... So I park it where I want it to set, turn on my leveler app and i add the number of levelers it tells me I need. Back up once... you're finished in about 2-minutes.
Wow! The app literally tells you how far you have to go to level? That's friggen' awesome!!!! Maybe I'll just get the app.....and you jus have standard lynx levelers? I've never used them (because of the BAL), but I know they are quite popular. You mean these right? Lynx Levelers

I think as long as I had the app to tell me how far to go I'd be fine. I'm basically a spaz and just don't want to look like a moron pulling forward and backward a million times!

I'll check out the app. BTW- See your from Central PA....I'm an eastern PA guy, but went to a University that I Love in central PA!!!! In fact headed there this weekend!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #8

Yep... Gives you exactly how far to level left to right in inches (don't need the inches front to back since your just cranking your tongue jack). Heres a pic of what you see. Yes... Those are the levelers I use... Each one is approx 1"... So anything 1/2"-3/4" or so, I just use a deck board... 1" and up I go to the lynx system. I have two packs of 10... Usually I use one set to level and one for under the stabilizer jacks.

Love it here in Happy Valley. Wife got her undergrad and MBA from here... Loved it so much we decided to make it our permanent base camp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2094328418.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	33918   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3532788997.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	33919