Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
new member needing help

My husband and I bought our Columbus 5th wheel February 2013. We retired to Arizona the first week in September 2013 and he passed away the second week we were there.
I have been living in the 5th wheel in Yakima WA since October 2013 and seem to be having nothing but trouble with the trailer.
In December I had to have the main card for the furnace replaced. I currently need to have the main card for the water heater replaced and the air conditioner over the living room replaced. It has been over 100 degrees here for a while and will be for at least the next week.
I have purchased a portable air conditioner, but all of this is get rather expensive.
I'm wondering if anyone could point me in the correct direction for someone to do warranty work on the trailer park where I am located.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

jmhorn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Welcome and sorry for your loss and your troubles I wish I could give you advice but not sure where to start. Give it a little while and the more experienced rvers will surely reply here to help. Hope all gets better for you soon. Have you contacted a dealer yet

cajunrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
I am no where near you, but find the closest Columbus dealer is southhill rv. Their website is I'd check with them on your issues and see if they can help or suggest a mobile rv service that can if they can't.
Joel and Teresa
2016 Sabre 34TBOK
2006 GMC 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
I suspect you are having trouble with the power source you are plugged into.
Do you know if there is a surge guard or progressive rv surge protector between the trailer and the power source?
If you are on privet property you could call an electrician.

If you are in a CG the you need to have the people there look the power supply over.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Can we all stay on-topic & be helpful?

Yes, it does sound electrical & it could be faulty campground wiring, storm-related, etc. If you do not already have something like this, I recommend investing in a Progressive Industries Portable Electrical Management System immediately. You can buy it on Amazon & install it yourself without taking your 5th wheel to the dealer. It will give you an idea of what is happing electrically at your campsite & keep your other (working) appliances safe. Your 5th wheel probably comes with 50 amp service, so you will likely need the 50 amp version. However, check with the campground manager or another experienced camper to know the amperage you are plugged into.

ASAP you need to find-out exactly when your warranties expire - not only on your entire camper, but also on the individual devices/appliances that are not working. In some cases, you might have a 2 year warranty on a few things. You may also have extended coverage on the camper or a 3rd party warranty, so you will need to sort through the paperwork.

If you are not covered by warranty, then it is very important that you find another trustworthy full-time camper, etc. who is willing to look-over your trailer & assess the actual damage. Otherwise the dealer may push you into replacing multiple expensive appliances vs. repairing them. If there are other full-timers at your campground, many actually love having projects to keep them busy & they also love being helpful. (My dad is retired & he is more busy now helping others-which he enjoys...)

In the meantime, don't stay in your camper if it is really, really hot. Be safe. Go to friends' campers, the store, library, etc. to stay cool & return to camper when it has cooled-off. Let us know how it goes...
2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Site Team
This thread went off course and several posts were deleted. Let's try to stay on topic and help a new member as things are hard enough already.

Thank you!

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote