Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #1

New member needs advice.

Hello from Kansas. I am new to the site and could use some advice. The wife and I have been going to the lake the last couple of years with some friends and staying in their camper with them. We are thinking about buying a TT for ourselves and stop mooching off of them. Haha. We are a family of 3. Wife, 8 y.o. Daughter, and I. We really like the RW 1905, and the 2306. I guess I was just wondering if these are good starter trailers or if I should look into something else. Looked at the clipper 17bh but it was almost a little to small on the inside. Any thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Tyler
Tyler_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #2

One of the limiting factors for your trailer will be what you will pull it with. Make sure you get a trailer that is big enough for you, if you walk through a trailer and it feels small it will feel very small on that rainy day when you in there for a few hours. Some people say try and get your second trailer first. You have been using you friends trailer try and think of the features in that trailer that you like and dislike this could help you narrow your search.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum... "Thoughts and insight"...plenty of that here! Here are a couple suggestions.

First, determine the weight limits for your existing tow vehicle. You need to know how much you can safely tow before starting TT shopping. Unless you plan on replacing your tow vehicle at the same time as buying a new TT you need to know your limits. This information is in your vehicles Owners Manual and the sticker in your door. Do not believe any RV salesperson who says "Sure you can tow that.." Many a buyer has ended up needing a new tow vehicle that wasn't in their plans due to not understanding tow ratings.

Second, take your time and look around at the various options that fit your price and weight ranges. Once you narrow it down start seriously researching that particular brand / model until you are comfortable with it.

Last, keep asking questions here... There are a lot of folks here with many years of experience. This was one of our primary resources in buying our first motor home...

Enjoy shopping....
Old 08-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

Sorry about that I forgot to say that as of right now I am planning on towing it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. It has a 5,000 lb max and a 750 tongue weight. I know this is close to the limits on the RW. I have been looking into getting a truck and this could be a good reason to talk the mrs. into it. Ha.

We like the full fridge, and the full bathroom with a vanity, and the bunks are a must. Thanks for the quick responses. I look forward to hearing what else everyone thinks.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

Welcome from across the state line to the east. Take your time and make sure you find the right unit. Lots of them to see. I happened to run down to Olathe Ford RV at lunch (moajor remodel going on) and saw the Clipper you mentioned. Kind of small for a family with a little one still growing. Personal opinion only. Good luck with the search.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
Welcome from across the state line to the east. Take your time and make sure you find the right unit. Lots of them to see. I happened to run down to Olathe Ford RV at lunch (moajor remodel going on) and saw the Clipper you mentioned. Kind of small for a family with a little one still growing. Personal opinion only. Good luck with the search.

We looked at all the campers at olathe ford rv about a month ago. Great lot with a lot to choose from. The place is a mess with all the renovations going on though! Walked through the 17 BH with the family and felt a little tight then.

I would like to go with a 20-24' TT because of the room inside. I don't really want to go any bigger though because of hauling capacity as of right now. If anyone on here has or has had any good starter trailers for a family of 3 I would be appreciate the information. Even if it doesn't fit in the range i'm looking for. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_13 View Post
We looked at all the campers at olathe ford rv about a month ago. Great lot with a lot to choose from. The place is a mess with all the renovations going on though! Walked through the 17 BH with the family and felt a little tight then.

I would like to go with a 20-24' TT because of the room inside. I don't really want to go any bigger though because of hauling capacity as of right now. If anyone on here has or has had any good starter trailers for a family of 3 I would be appreciate the information. Even if it doesn't fit in the range i'm looking for. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Check out the flagstaff microlite 23LB
hawki8624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_13 View Post

Thanks.
or even some of the R-pod models would work well if you are really wanting to go even lighter. they have a lot of room for a small trailer with the slideouts.
hawki8624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:52 PM   #9

Tyler - will the trailer be left at this lake for extended periods? Or do you plan to tow it frequently and far? Your tow vehicle Jeep may be adequate (barely) if all you tow is a short distance from home to lake in the spring and lake to home in the fall.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:16 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum from a former Kansasn. If your in no hurry first thing I'd do is hit the Camperr show and get a chance to see all that is available. Give you a good Ideaof size and weights. Also if thinking about truck you now know what type it will take for the TT you are thinking of buying. Of course It's always better to buy more truck than you need just in case you get a wim to go bigger Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #11

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie with some TT knowledge. We aren't really in a hurry at all to buy one since summer is almost over once again. I looked and there is an RV show in KC in January. That is on the calendar now and a must see. As long as i can remember what the budget is and not get blinded by all the fancy big rides there! haha. Thanks again
Old 08-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #12

I am thinking we will be towing it back and forth all the time. Not sure if we will stay in one spot to long. There are a couple lakes around here and most are about an hour away. That is the biggest problem I have right now. The jeep is barely big enough but could pull it. So do i go with a smaller trailer and sacrifice space for a year and maybe trade up after that. Or do I just get a little bigger one and hope my jeep can hold out for a year and then trade up the TV. I would hate to be stranded on the side of the road heading to the lake and never get there though...

Sorry this was suppose to be a reply to wbdavey. Still figuring everything out. Love the site though! So much information in one place.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #13

Bought 6 campers in 5 years. You can never trade campers and feel like you got a good deal. Went from pulling with Jeep Commander to 1/2 ton pickup to 3/4 ton pickup. Spent a huge amount of money unnecessarily. Should have bought the pickup first and then pick the camper that I ended up with. Would have saved a whole lot of money.
kssportsman is offline   Reply With Quote