Old 09-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetAFRVnW8 View Post
B47, Yes the Mule is still here, actually he's been updated and yes I am still active for a few more months until I begin my terminal leave.

I am currently stationed at Cannon but I just couldn't find in NM the size of property and house at the price that I could in TX. So, I make the near 100mi round trip everyday.
Understand about the NM thing - it's not like Clovis is the place that we all want to live anyway Besides there's no state income tax in Texas.

Too bad the old Reese AFB isn't still open - could save you some mileage driving.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
2014 Traveler

B47, you are correct that Tx doesn't have sales tax but boy let me tell ya! They sure get you on property and vehicle tax!! I picked up a 1999 F250 Super Duty (non-running) 7.3ltr for $900 and did an engine swap. Got it running, went to register it and dang near had a heart attack when they wanted taxes not off of what I paid for it but off of the blue book value! It's been good but after 14yrs in Germany/Italy you arrive in the Tx Panhandle in the middle of a drought where there's not a drop of water for 2hrs, it's a hard adjustment.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetAFRVnW8 View Post
B47, you are correct that Tx doesn't have sales tax but boy let me tell ya! They sure get you on property and vehicle tax!! I picked up a 1999 F250 Super Duty (non-running) 7.3ltr for $900 and did an engine swap. Got it running, went to register it and dang near had a heart attack when they wanted taxes not off of what I paid for it but off of the blue book value! It's been good but after 14yrs in Germany/Italy you arrive in the Tx Panhandle in the middle of a drought where there's not a drop of water for 2hrs, it's a hard adjustment.
Yep - not having a state income tax may sound great to some people, but we in Texas (so I'm told anyway) pay more for electricity, home and car insurance (depending on where you live) than residents in some states that do have the tax plus our education system needs some improvement.

But if Muleshoe hasn't changed a great deal, you picked a wholesome place to raise your kids and who can put a price tag on that?
Old 09-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #14

Thanks for serving from one who retired from the AF and welcome to the forum!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to ShebaGinger
Welcome to the forum Jake and Family. Wife and I both retired from USAF in 1994. Any questions about camping or retirement ask away. You can email me also. Enjoy the camping.