Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
2014 Traveler

New Member Proper Intro

Sorry all, I realized I used the "Welcome Mat" to ask a question rather than to properly introduce myself. The Name is Jake, I've served in the AirForce for the past 19.5yrs, 15 of which has been overseas. Been married 17yrs, currently have 6kids and am now the proud owner of a 2013 FR Cherokee 39Q. Our goal is to live simple after all these years in the military, we've moved 10 times 4 different countries, and currently live on a 60acre farm. We want to be mobile while I go to school and to use the trailer as a chance to focus on the family. Hope to learn a ton from this group as I've never been a fan of "re"inventing the wheel. Thank you and hope I can contribute to this group as well.

Jake
RetAFRVnW8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #2

Welcome Jake to the forum and thank you for your service to our country.
A lot of good folks and a ton of ex-mil with good info and ideas on this forum. You will enjoy reading it.
Another good forum is iRV2.com. You will run into some of the same folks there.
Welcome home and Happy camping.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

to the Forums Jake and thank you for all of your years serving our country. You've come to the right place for information, ideas and just a fun place to be. Got questions just ask, there's plenty of very knowledgeable people here. Enjoy your RV with your family. Be safe and

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetAFRVnW8 View Post
Sorry all, I realized I used the "Welcome Mat" to ask a question rather than to properly introduce myself. The Name is Jake, I've served in the AirForce for the past 19.5yrs, 15 of which has been overseas. Been married 17yrs, currently have 6kids and am now the proud owner of a 2013 FR Cherokee 39Q. Our goal is to live simple after all these years in the military, we've moved 10 times 4 different countries, and currently live on a 60acre farm. We want to be mobile while I go to school and to use the trailer as a chance to focus on the family. Hope to learn a ton from this group as I've never been a fan of "re"inventing the wheel. Thank you and hope I can contribute to this group as well.

Jake
Welcome also - I see you are living in the great city of Muleshoe, Texas. I been in Muleshoe a few times as it is in the FAA office in Lubbock district.

Is the large Mule in town still there? They played a large part in the towns history.

Are you still in the AF and if so, are you stationed at either Dyess or Cannon?

As said before, there are many good and knowledgeable people here that are always ready to help.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #5

Welcome to the FRF.
As the others I thank you for your service.
My younger brother retired out of the USAF.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Welcome to the forum RetAFRVnW8. Our oldest son retired with 20 yrs in the Air Force in 2003. Thank you very much for your service. The same thank you to your wife and family. Too many forget the great sacrifices the spouses and children make when one of their parents are gone so much on TDY, etc. God Bless and have fun now that you are so close to retirement.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #7

hidee ho

Hi and welcome from northern Arizona!
We too want to thank you for your service and God Bless.
We hope you have a great time camping with your family in your new trailer.
You will find all sorts of good info on this website; the mods forum is especially full of stuff to do.
Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	062013coloradovac 216a2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	40432  

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
NELA

I said it on the other thread, but I'll say it here as well.

Welcome to our not-so-little corner of the interwebs.

Thank you for your service, and as OC said, thanks go to your family and children. Yes, much is sacrificed by the spouses and children of military personnel.

In June of this year we became first time owners of a TT. (see my signature)

We have learned *so* much here and made many friends.....one who is less than a mile from us.

God bless you and yours as you enter retirement which you have *earned*!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
2014 Traveler

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome and as my service which began at the age of 17 has been great to us and our pleasure!! Not a fan of what D.C. is doing with us as of late but that's another forum all together. My wife and kids have endured a lot to include my 5yr old being born in Germany while I was in Afghanistan but, we have enjoyed a life that we could have never dreamed! With all the kind words, I told my wife, "I think we're really going to enjoy this community!"
Old 09-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
2014 Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Welcome also - I see you are living in the great city of Muleshoe, Texas. I been in Muleshoe a few times as it is in the FAA office in Lubbock district.

Is the large Mule in town still there? They played a large part in the towns history.

Are you still in the AF and if so, are you stationed at either Dyess or Cannon?

As said before, there are many good and knowledgeable people here that are always ready to help.
B47, Yes the Mule is still here, actually he's been updated and yes I am still active for a few more months until I begin my terminal leave.

I am currently stationed at Cannon but I just couldn't find in NM the size of property and house at the price that I could in TX. So, I make the near 100mi round trip everyday.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
B47, Yes the Mule is still here, actually he's been updated and yes I am still active for a few more months until I begin my terminal leave.

I am currently stationed at Cannon but I just couldn't find in NM the size of property and house at the price that I could in TX. So, I make the near 100mi round trip everyday.
Understand about the NM thing - it's not like Clovis is the place that we all want to live anyway Besides there's no state income tax in Texas.

Too bad the old Reese AFB isn't still open - could save you some mileage driving.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
2014 Traveler

B47, you are correct that Tx doesn't have sales tax but boy let me tell ya! They sure get you on property and vehicle tax!! I picked up a 1999 F250 Super Duty (non-running) 7.3ltr for $900 and did an engine swap. Got it running, went to register it and dang near had a heart attack when they wanted taxes not off of what I paid for it but off of the blue book value! It's been good but after 14yrs in Germany/Italy you arrive in the Tx Panhandle in the middle of a drought where there's not a drop of water for 2hrs, it's a hard adjustment.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
B47

Quote:
B47, you are correct that Tx doesn't have sales tax but boy let me tell ya! They sure get you on property and vehicle tax!! I picked up a 1999 F250 Super Duty (non-running) 7.3ltr for $900 and did an engine swap. Got it running, went to register it and dang near had a heart attack when they wanted taxes not off of what I paid for it but off of the blue book value! It's been good but after 14yrs in Germany/Italy you arrive in the Tx Panhandle in the middle of a drought where there's not a drop of water for 2hrs, it's a hard adjustment.
Yep - not having a state income tax may sound great to some people, but we in Texas (so I'm told anyway) pay more for electricity, home and car insurance (depending on where you live) than residents in some states that do have the tax plus our education system needs some improvement.

But if Muleshoe hasn't changed a great deal, you picked a wholesome place to raise your kids and who can put a price tag on that?
Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 AM   #14

Thanks for serving from one who retired from the AF and welcome to the forum!
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to ShebaGinger
Welcome to the forum Jake and Family. Wife and I both retired from USAF in 1994. Any questions about camping or retirement ask away. You can email me also. Enjoy the camping.
ShebaGinger is offline   Reply With Quote