Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #1

New Member With SOB

Good Day folks, new member here, my DW and I have been campers for many years with tents to tent trailers and our most recent a 31' SOB(Some Other Brand) Outback 260 FL. We purchased the unit new in 2010 and its been a great TT. we used it well and maintained it well and just spent 26 days straight in it with no issues. We only slightly moded it this year by removing the jack knife bench (useless thing IMHOP) and placed with a 2 person recliner, best idea we had.
Anyway we had a Golden Retriever that was with us and we sadly lost him to illness in December 2013 so we found other things to do while camping/ getting away to fill the time, and things are different. well one of the things we did this trip was see a few RV Dealers. (mistake I think )we stumbled on a Sabre Silhouette 312 RKDS and thought Hmmm not bad! So the sales Rep was straight up with us gave us a good price for a trade value ($1500 more than in the spring). So if I can also ask a question, yes I searched and found all sorts of rear kitchen discussions but no posts on the 312 RKDS. So any insights from people that have seen them, or if there are a few owners on here please send me your likes or dislikes on the unit.
Hope I haven't bored you to sleep by now, but we may actually be thinking on pulling the trigger on this unit. So hopefully I will be a new Saber Silhouette owner. I will be pulling it with a 2011 Chevy 6 Liter and 3.73 gears which should be good.

So I'm open to insights on this rear kitchen model.

Thanks Pat.
DW: Elizabeth
Jake the Golden
jakeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #2

Sorry I can't answer your questions about the rear kitchen model, but I want to say I'm so sorry you lost your Golden Retriever camping buddy. I know you can never replace him, but there are plenty of animal rescue and shelter groups out there with dogs that would just LOVE to join you in your new camper and become part of your family. Just something to think about....maybe not right now, but shortly......
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #3

Our first fiver was a rear kitchen - it was really nice to have the open floor plan but the second one and our current Crusader both have rear living - much nicer with the huge windows offered with rear living units....all a matter of personal preference of course

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #4

We like the rear kitchen because you don't have to worry about traffic while you are trying to cook, etc... ours has the stove/cooktop next to the pantry and the sink where your cooktop is. This gives us a nice big counter to work and serve from.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #5

We took a Look at rear kitchens before we got our 8289. The big downside for us was loosinf the rear picture window. Too many places we camp at are back in with the campsite overlooking a lake or river. I would hate to loose that inside view

We like to eat outside to boot. So much easier staging food from the kitchen when it is right by the door.

Also, maybe it was just us, but rear kitchen units just seem much darker than ones with a kitchen amidships. - my .02, YMMV
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #6

rear kitchen

Quite the contrary ours is very bright with a total of 6 windows one of which is a large picture window. I can see the appeal of the rear window for the views though. So far only one of our trips would have made a rear window preferable. Who knows what the future will bring. Safe travels to you.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies it is appreciated. We do like the large rear window models but we spend so much time outside its not a must have and the 312rkds has a fairly large side window. Still haven't pulled the trigger and we found a 2014 model and the internet pictures has snow on the ground so I called and he is working out a price. The 2015 has the nicer interior though.

So I'm hoping owners of this model will chime in. Perhaps I should post a request in another part of this forum with a different title.

Yes Jake (the Golden) was missed on on this past trip...

Pat
jakeSS is offline   Reply With Quote