Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 03:53 AM   #1

New, Military, Toddler

I figured I would use three words to describe us. We're brand new at this. Albeit, we have camped quite a lot tent side. Hubby is an active duty marine. We're buying an RV tomorrow in hopes of having something fun to do on the weekends. We have a toddler. The tent thing wasn't working. So hopefully this RV thing does.

We're buying a Cherokee made by Forest River Grey Wolf series M-28BH tomorrow used from a couple locally. We're nervous because this is a new thing. However I have scavenged the interwebs and made a detailed list of everything we may need. Unfortunately I'm just not learning that we need a few things BEFORE we pick the camper up. Hopefully I can find someone tomorrow to have a brake control installed. This is something I wish I knew before hand. I was so busy researching Etsy and Pinterest for cute played and sheets that it didn't occur to me to read further into what we need to tow it!

Any other advice out there that may come in handy? I look forward to this experience. We're really very excited and have so much to learn.
Tink0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:02 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. There are alot of Vets on here. There is also a wealth of knowledge. First of I would make sure that your tow vehicle can pull your camper safely and that you guys are withing your tow vehicle combined cargo capacity which can be found inside the driver side door. But im pretty sure your hubby have done that. Get that brake controller installed and geta weight distribution hitch if needed. You can still buy all the stuff to make your camper homey and comfy I know my wife has. Enjoy and happy camping!
17' Coachmen Apex 300 BHS
15' Ram CC Laramie 4x4, 3.92
aries75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:06 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forums. Reading is your friend.

As a new RV owner, I usually recommend these articles that explain the electric systems in easy terms and also the SWDE Suburban water heater (if equipped)

You can just peruse them at your leisure. It may seem like sensory overload to begin with, but it's a lot easier than you may think.

First off, I would suggest just printing this following link off and putting it in your RV. It explains how your 30 amp RV is ALWAYS 120 volts. Many campers/electricians see that big 30 amp plug and incorrectly think it's 240 volts. If you ever connect to a 240 volt outlet (or have one wired that way at your home), you'll burn up your RV. It's always 120 volts.

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

Now that you understand you never connect to anything but a 120 volt outlet, these will make more sense.

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Electric

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

Also not knowing if the previous owner has the trailer winterized or not, you may need to be aware of the plumbing winterization valves. This is usually one of the main springtime problems we hear in the forums and why we keep it as a sticky at the top of the plumbing forums:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #4

Welcome from SW Ohio , enjoy your TT !
Old 03-10-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
(Dry Huunday)

Welcome from ole retired (but still having to work ) Jarhead!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #6

Welcome from Mebane, NC and thank you for your service.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries75 View Post
Welcome to the forum. There are alot of Vets on here. There is also a wealth of knowledge. First of I would make sure that your tow vehicle can pull your camper safely and that you guys are withing your tow vehicle combined cargo capacity which can be found inside the driver side door. But im pretty sure your hubby have done that. Get that brake controller installed and geta weight distribution hitch if needed. You can still buy all the stuff to make your camper homey and comfy I know my wife has. Enjoy and happy camping!

We have a 2009 GMC 2500 diesel. And by "we" I mean my husband. I have a Toyota 4Runner. We only plan to tow with his truck.

I found out this morning that he does indeed have the brake controller installed. I just didn't know it. 😂 That's what last minute researching at 2AM will do to you.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #8

Wow! This is great advice. I'll read it to my husband later. Thank you!
There is for sure a lot to learn. I just hope the one we're buying today is in good shape. We're buying used and plan on getting it inspected next week back where we live.
I downloaded a google check list for travel trailers. Hopefully we don't find anything terrible.

We're buying from another military couple. So I would like to think that they are honest.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Welcome from ole retired (but still having to work ) Jarhead!

Thank you!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #10

Frist off, Thank you for your service!
Welcome to the forum,
Congratulations on your Cherokee. So glad that you have joined. We're family on here. The most knowledgeable and experienced members a forum could have are always here to help. Have fun building lots of memories with family and friends while traveling around this great nation. Stay safe and Happy RVing from Farmer NC
Old 03-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #11

Welcome aboard...!!!

we got our first trailer last year and this forum has been amazing with all the knowledge and everyone's willingness to offer up some great advice..

another great resource has been Youtube, tons of videos to help you figure things out, everything from how to back in your trailer to hooking up your stinky slinky and best practices on how to keep your tanks clean.

thank you both for your service!
good luck and enjoy!
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Shawn.O is offline   Reply With Quote