Old 09-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
2014 Traveler

New Mmbr need advice. Towing 39' TT 1000mi

Hi all! After near 20yrs in the Military, me, my wife and as of 3 days ago our 6 kids (yes we're done) are looking to sell the house and live in a destination trailer while I go to school in Oregon. Our hopes are to then move to Idaho where we'd like to find some land and remain.

My question isn't so much about towing such a long trailer but as to some lessons learned when towing over long distances and some things to look out for. If anyone has any experience with the Cherokee Destination trailers and could let me know what to look for when I go to pick mine up that would be awesome too. I plan to go pick mine up from Minnesota and tow it down to the Texas panhandle this week until I am completely done with my service time in the Military.

Thank you and look foward to sharing in y'alls experience!!

Jake

Old 09-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #2

Keep a hard eye on the tire pressure.
Try not to drive all day " take a break stay awake".
Make sure your safety chains are still hooked whenever you stop.
Check inside to see if stuff is still in place.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
NELA

Check those wheel hubs at every stop (at least every two hours). I learned this from Old Coot;

If they're too hot to hold your hand on for several seconds you have a problem.

We followed his advice on our first long trip. I took this on as my own personal duty at each stop. It certainly gives peace of mind when you know the bearings aren't over heating.

It being our first long trip, DH also carried his torque wrench and checked lug nuts and the bolts on the hitch several times as well.

Towing an RV is one time that being OCD pays off.

Check your mirrors often on the side with the steps. Though it's never happened to us, I've heard that the steps can bounce out on rough roads. Some use bungee cords to secure them.

We've set up a "sign" that the doors are locked on the TT. If the grab handle is in, the door is locked....grab bar out? door is unlocked.

OK, now that I've given you enough to worry 'bout....enjoy the trip.

And above all.....

thank you for your service.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
2014 Traveler

@Ford Idaho, Thank you for the advice!! I have already started a checklist on things to look out for. BTW, where you at in Idaho if I may ask?
Old 09-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetAFRVnW8 View Post
@Ford Idaho, Thank you for the advice!! I have already started a checklist on things to look out for. BTW, where you at in Idaho if I may ask?
I am just west of Boise.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
2014 Traveler

@Weezer, That's some great advice on the doors! I once saw a trailer going down the road with the door whipping back and forth and would hate to do the same. As for the hubs, how sensitve are the electric brakes on these things? I've towed with air and Hydraulic brakes but it's been a very long time since I've towed with electric. We're in NO hurry getting back so, OCD is just fine with me!!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
NELA

Oh dear, now you've gotten too techie for me. LOL Someone else will answer that for ya I'm sure.

My checking the heat re the hubs is regarding bearings heating up.

DH is buying an extra grease gun for the RV for that purpose.

Sometimes I think I read too much here and it's not only educated me, but has heightened my OCD tendencies.

I recommend you read the tips and tricks thread. LOTS of info there, such as the so many uses for pool noodles. Example; I cut short lengths, split one side and put them over the handles of our dresser in the BR. If the drawers come out they don't rub against the drawers on the underside of the bed pedestal. Some use a piece of pool noodle stood up in the microwave to hold the rotating glass plate in place on rough roads.

LOL, I could go on and on....check out that thread!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetAFRVnW8 View Post
@Weezer, That's some great advice on the doors! I once saw a trailer going down the road with the door whipping back and forth and would hate to do the same. As for the hubs, how sensitve are the electric brakes on these things? I've towed with air and Hydraulic brakes but it's been a very long time since I've towed with electric. We're in NO hurry getting back so, OCD is just fine with me!!
We were new TT owners this spring after having several motorhomes.
I personally found for the brake controller that I parked on a hill with the trailer being on the downhill side. Then adjusted the the controller to JUST hold it with no help from the truck to get it set properly. Of course this depends on the type of controller you have.
On the first tow, have the windows down to HEAR if the trailer is locking up because you have the controller set to high. I know this somehow. LOL
For the list?
I personally do everything there is to do when getting ready to leave. Then I take a GOOD walk around the entire trailer and truck. Check the doors again. Look to make sure I picked up the chalks. Stand back a about 20 feet and make sure I put the antenna down. Then I go to the hitch.
Check the chains, double check that it is plugged in. ball is locked on.
As said before, being OCD, is a good thing about this stuff.
EVERY stop, I do a complete walk around. Check the hitch, check the hubs and doors.
Hope that helps and thank you for your service to our country!

markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing