Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 01:27 AM   #1

New owner

Purchasing my first Forest River travel trailer tomorrow thought i'd say hi from It will be my first ever travel trailer so the wife and I are excited. I believe its a 2002 Forest River Flagstaff M-827BH travel trailer but not 100% on the model. Anyone else have or had one of these?
TyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and enjoy your camper!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

Thanks so much, here is a picture of my new travel trailer!

I was wrong about the model lol It's actually a 2002 Flagstaff M-827FLS
Old 03-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #4

I have to ask. Why is that small tarp on the roof??
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #5

It was covered for winter by the previous owner.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
It was covered for winter by the previous owner.
Just that small section?? Don't understand the reasoning. I suspect a leak. Does it cover a vent? He may have been protecting a vent. Don't be too concerned about the age. I bought my 2002 two years ago.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #7

Yes it was covering the vent completely but I was about to take it off when my wife had me step back for the photo lol also not concerned about its age at all it looks to be in great shape and I will be renovating the inside this summer. Don't plan on using it until next summer so I have time to make it perfect for our family trips!
Old 03-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #8

Welcome from SW Ohio ,enjoy your TT !
Old 03-21-2018, 11:28 AM   #9

Congrats from Arkansas... Hope you enjoy the new world.

W A R N I N G ! ! it is addictive!!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #10

Lightbulb

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone, so excited to be a part of this community it seems awesome! I was thinking about getting a brake controller for our new travel trailer but i'm unsure if its even capable of hooking one up to, could anyone be so kind as to give a noobie some advice in this area? I already purchased a weight distribution system and have hauled it with that but was thinking about adding an electronic brake control if that's even possible with my travel trailer model? I'm just not that familiar with it yet to know if I can or not.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #11
Weekend Warrior

I'd bet the farm that the trailer already has brakes... you DEFINITELY need to install a brake controller in your tow vehicle.

Quote:
Thanks for all the welcomes everyone, so excited to be a part of this community it seems awesome! I was thinking about getting a brake controller for our new travel trailer but i'm unsure if its even capable of hooking one up to, could anyone be so kind as to give a noobie some advice in this area? I already purchased a weight distribution system and have hauled it with that but was thinking about adding an electronic brake control if that's even possible with my travel trailer model? I'm just not that familiar with it yet to know if I can or not.
KyleStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #12

I haven't hauled it very far as of yet only home and on flat roads but before I take it on an actual trip i was thinking about getting a Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control system. I was just unsure if my 2002 Flagstaff M-827FLS would even be capable of using it.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:54 PM   #13
Site Team

Yes, you need a brake controller. It installs in the tow vehicle, NOT the trailer.
Your trailer has electric drum brakes that won't work without a brake controller in the TV.
Of course your tow vehicle gas to have the factory tow package to have the pre-wiring for a controller.

I'd be concerned about that blue tarp.
One, using such a tarp on a RV is a bad thing.
Two, I suspect it's hiding a roof leak, on such an old trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #14

I will be digging into the travel trailer itself more and more over the next few weeks and keeping everyone posted on its progress. The previous owner did tell me the air conditioning unit did have a small leak but he repaired it just before winter and placed the tarp over it for the winter. Even if he didn't repair it correctly (which I don't know yet) I will indeed be checking on it and making the necessary repairs. I know the brake controller goes into the tow vehicle I was just unsure if the travel trailer itself would be capable of utilizing it If I spent the money on one.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #15
Weekend Warrior

What truck will you be using to tow with?

and out of curiosity, how much does one pay for a 2002 Flagstaff M-827FLS?
KyleStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Look at the backing plates behind the wheels. IF you see two wires coming out of each one, and if your connector to the tow vehicle is a 7 pin then it should have electric brakes and you will need a brake controller to make them operate.

There aer many good aftermarket controllers.

Look at etrailer.com for several. Their customer service department can also help you with installation guidance.

Id look at the afe of the tires as well as the brand. Let us know what they are and how old and we can help you with advice about them. You DO NOT want to have a blowout while on the road.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #17

Welcome from MN. Nice looking camper, enjoy the camping!
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #18

Welcome from another new member from Vancouver Island. One thing I would suggest if you haven't done it yet is to check all roof places where sealant is used--don't use silicone!
cheers
Al
fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpaddler1 View Post
Welcome from another new member from Vancouver Island. One thing I would suggest if you haven't done it yet is to check all roof places where sealant is used--don't use silicone!
cheers
Al
Yes, EVERY roof penetration and all the edges for the tinyist cracks. If any are found, Dicor Lap Sealant after a thorough cleaning with mild soap and water to reseal them. In fact, resealing the all to begin with is a VERY good idea. As well as resealing all the windows and doors around all the edges. Here you can use silicone and Lexel is a wonderful product. It drys completely clear and sticks like crazy to any surface (except your rubber roof)

Water will be ur worst enemy and it is amazing how small a crack will cause water intrusion that can very quickly ruin your camper by de-laminating the fiberglass siding. Another expensive thing to repair.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #20

wow I really appreciate everyone's advice! I decided to go with the
Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Controller. From what I've read in reviews and seen on the many videos surrounding this device I pulled the trigger and ordered it and will be receiving it on Friday. My tow vehicle is a 2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS Extended Sport Utility 4x4 4D. I also purchased a Reese 49902 Complete Round Bar Weight Distribution Kit - 750 lbs. TW for hauling my new travel trailer! Hope I did good choosing these components, thoughts, opinions, personal experiences with them are most welcome!