Old 06-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

New owner

We will be picking up our 2013 3051 Forester on Saturday... Anything we should know or ask on the walk thru?

Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzForest View Post
We will be picking up our 2013 3051 Forester on Saturday... Anything we should know or ask on the walk thru?
Make sure it's not just a "walk-thru." Have them show you each and every system, explain how it works, and then WATCH it work!. Make sure they have water in the fresh water tank, and check to make sure the pump works. Then have them connect to city water and see that it works, too. Do a walkaround and check for leaks. Make sure awning works properly - watch it extend and retract, and that it seats properly when retracted - listen for strange noises on anything with a motor! If you have not owned an RV before, have them take you through the winterizing procedure, and I would suggest you actually have them watch you do this if they're willing. They should deliver with full propane tank - check this - and then fire up the water heater, and the stove and make sure they're working, and make sure the igniters on the range work well. Have them turn on the fridge early on, and then check and make sure it's cooling (it takes a while to cool them down, but the typical PDI should take 2-3 hours, and it should be chilling by then. Check fit and finish, too. Storage doors and notorious for not closing/latching properly and often need adjustment. Check for leaks in bath (toilet, shower, lavatory), and make sure all the inside doors and cabinet doors close and latch securely. There will be numerous fit and finish deficiencies that should have already been taken care of. Also make sure you have owners manuals for all the onboard systems, as well as for the chassis.

Your warranty will cover any problems, but it's best to make sure it works before you drive it off the lot.

Remember, unless and until you drive it off the dealer's lot, it's not yours. Be prepared to leave it until they have repaired all deficiencies, and have them give you an estimate as to how long that will take. Once it's YOURS, and you take it back in for adjustments, you move to the bottom of their priority list... until it's YOURS, you are at the top of their priority list - they want to be able to cash your check! Don't deal with the F&I person until you're satisfied that everything is right!

I'm sure there will be lots of other much more helpful responses. Remember that you'll get answers to any and all questions from someone on the forums.Good luck with your new purchase. If you're new to the RV pastime, you're gonna love it!

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2013 Forester. Good advice above. Do a search for PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) checklist, look it over, and take it with you during the walk thru.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the great info...
Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

This should help...

Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

Only issues Trace 3100RET

We just bought a Tracer 3100RET and went on a 10 day trip almost directly from the dealer.

No toilet paper holder in the bathroom???

They sold me a 25' water hose well the the unit is close to 30 feet long and the water hookup is in the front and every campground has water hookups at the back next to Electric. So I had to purchase another hose.

Question has anyone tried the flexi hose?

get something to chock the wheels. That trailer was a rockin and we were only walking around.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netriggen View Post
We just bought a Tracer 3100RET and went on a 10 day trip almost directly from the dealer.

No toilet paper holder in the bathroom???

They sold me a 25' water hose well the the unit is close to 30 feet long and the water hookup is in the front and every campground has water hookups at the back next to Electric. So I had to purchase another hose.

Question has anyone tried the flexi hose?

get something to chock the wheels. That trailer was a rockin and we were only walking around.
The collapsible hoses aren't drinking water safe, at least not from labeling. While I grew up drinking often from the hose in our yard, I still look specifically buy and use a white drinking water hose.

I do want to get one or two of the XHose Pro hoses (specifically the "Pro" version) because it has metal ends. I want to use them for my black water tank flush hoses instead of carrying 7-million feet of green hose around.

For wheel chocks- I went with RotoChocks. You buy them direct from the company. Small operation, good folks.

No TP holder? Are you sure there isn't one in a cabinet or anything? Some manufacturers don't mount them anymore because people were too picky about location.