Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #1

New Owner from Canada

Just some info about buying in USA, if you live in Canada. I took my Hi Lo for trade-in across the border, told the Customs what I was doing and they waved me on. First the RV dealer wanted a bank draft and a letter from the bank verifying it. I called the RV Dealer and he agreed the bank draft was sufficient. We had to deal with the change in the dollar, in my case ours was lower so cost more. We got our 3008W Windjammer and barely escaped the storms in Minnesota. As it was when we got to the campground in Bemidji, the campground was demolished by the storm. We got home and the RV dealer called and said that we didn't get the declaration form at the Customs, therefore, we had to come and get the Hi Lo and take it back to the Customs for the inspection. Without that they could not register the Hi Lo to sell it. In my defense, neither Customs nor the Dealer informed me of this. It would cost the RV Dealers $1,000 to take the Hi Lo to Customs and have them inspect it. I wasn't about to travel 850 miles back and forth to do this, but, it was my responsibility. I offered to pay half. I called customs several times and they took it to the Chief and Yes, I had to bring the Hi Lo there for inspection. My last call resulted in the officer who checked me through coming on the line. He remembered me and our conversation. He would sign the form, so I had to go there, (180 miles round trip) One of the pitfalls in trading in across the line is that Customs and Licensing charge tax on the full amount of the purchase, not the trade in value. Apparently, it's not that way when Americans buy in Canada and take it back to the States. Another issue is that at Customs, you have to pay $220.00 to have the Travel Trailer inspected. In my case, I had to take it to Canadian Tire, again 180 miles round trip, but, fortunately it coincided with the customs trip. This takes about two minutes. So I faxed and mailed the customs inspection report to the RV Dealer and all is well. that's my story and I'm sicking to it.
John
2013 3008 W Windjammer
2006 Silverado 5.3
JohnBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What a hassle. Glad you got it all taken care of.

Welcome to the forum !!!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote