Old 08-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #11

Congrats and enjoy it !

2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #12

Nice! I'm the proud owner of a 2017 Cherokee 294BHS. We absolutely love it! I think you will too! Enjoy!

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

2017 Cherokee 294BH
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4L V8 Crew Cab
Moparman1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman1230 View Post
Nice! I'm the proud owner of a 2017 Cherokee 294BHS. We absolutely love it! I think you will too! Enjoy!

Nice. How do you like it? Any advice?
Old 08-08-2016, 11:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcflores View Post
Nice. How do you like it? Any advice?
We love it. We've had a couple of workmanship issues, so it spent the last half of June and most of July at the dealership getting it fixed, but we just got back from a week long trip with no issues. The thing that sold us is our model has a separate "bunkroom" with slide and SOLID doors. We can throw the kids in there and close the door!

We love the second outside door to the bathroom. If the girls need to use the bathroom, they enter through there and don't track stuff all over the trailer.

I love the outside kitchen. It has a dorm fridge, sink, counter top, cabinets and drawers, and a pull out stove. I do all of the cooking outside. Plus, it is right next to the bathroom door, so it's a quick step into the bathroom and out to the pantry if I need anything inside.

We bought this after 3 years in a pop-up. We LOVED our pop-up, but for comfort level, this blows the pop-up out of the water. There's four of us and we were very comfortable in it for the week - we could have easily gone longer.

As for advise, I would get a Progressive EMS. It is a pricey bill to swallow, but I believe it has already saved my hindquarters from a questionable power pedestial. ~$300 is much cheaper than a $550-$700 a/c. I ordered my trailer with 50 amp service and two a/c's - not worth the risk to me.

I also got a clear 45 elbow that I attach to the grey/black tank drain. It helps me see when the black tank is nice and clean (water will be clear).

There's been some debate as to the TV mount's ability to hold a TV during travel. I have had zero issues with the TV mounted and traveling. I have a 32" Insignia TV mounted and it's real light. My girls love watching it on the outside mounts. We'll have a "movie" night so they can sit outside and watch the TV.

The day I brought it home I crawled under it with a creeper and a can of expanding foam insulation. I inspected every square inch of the underside and I found SEVERAL holes which the factory either forgot to fill or did a poor job filling it. I filled them with the foam. I don't want any critters deciding to make this their home too!

I also purchased a TPMS for the tires. Too many horror stories of people unaware of a blown tire and dragging the carcass for several miles doing several thousand dollars worth of damage to the trailer. Again, cheap insurance.

I plan on keeping this as long as I can, upgrading once the kids are out of the house!

2017 Cherokee 294BH
Old 08-08-2016, 11:53 PM   #15

Quote:
We love it. We've had a couple of workmanship issues, so it spent the last half of June and most of July at the dealership getting it fixed, but we just got back from a week long trip with no issues. The thing that sold us is our model has a separate "bunkroom" with slide and SOLID doors. We can throw the kids in there and close the door!

We love the second outside door to the bathroom. If the girls need to use the bathroom, they enter through there and don't track stuff all over the trailer.

I love the outside kitchen. It has a dorm fridge, sink, counter top, cabinets and drawers, and a pull out stove. I do all of the cooking outside. Plus, it is right next to the bathroom door, so it's a quick step into the bathroom and out to the pantry if I need anything inside.

We bought this after 3 years in a pop-up. We LOVED our pop-up, but for comfort level, this blows the pop-up out of the water. There's four of us and we were very comfortable in it for the week - we could have easily gone longer.

As for advise, I would get a Progressive EMS. It is a pricey bill to swallow, but I believe it has already saved my hindquarters from a questionable power pedestial. ~$300 is much cheaper than a $550-$700 a/c. I ordered my trailer with 50 amp service and two a/c's - not worth the risk to me.

I also got a clear 45 elbow that I attach to the grey/black tank drain. It helps me see when the black tank is nice and clean (water will be clear).

There's been some debate as to the TV mount's ability to hold a TV during travel. I have had zero issues with the TV mounted and traveling. I have a 32" Insignia TV mounted and it's real light. My girls love watching it on the outside mounts. We'll have a "movie" night so they can sit outside and watch the TV.

The day I brought it home I crawled under it with a creeper and a can of expanding foam insulation. I inspected every square inch of the underside and I found SEVERAL holes which the factory either forgot to fill or did a poor job filling it. I filled them with the foam. I don't want any critters deciding to make this their home too!

I also purchased a TPMS for the tires. Too many horror stories of people unaware of a blown tire and dragging the carcass for several miles doing several thousand dollars worth of damage to the trailer. Again, cheap insurance.

I plan on keeping this as long as I can, upgrading once the kids are out of the house!

Thanks for the tips.
Regarding the underbelly insulation...that's a great idea. My storage is in a remote area. Lots of snakes and mice and stuff. So basically I should look and just make sure no openings at all and spray foam it? I think I'll be ok without surge protector. Never needed one on old trailer.
I love the rear door to bathroom also. Bummed my unit doesn't have an outdoor kitchen. But it does have quick connect propane valve. So I'll be setting up my own outdoor kitchen. Wife hates the bacon cooked inside. lol.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:09 AM   #16

I took my new 451rks over Colockum Pass, WA and camped at the summit last week. It was a great "shake down" first trip for the new RV.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcflores View Post
Thanks for the tips.
Regarding the underbelly insulation...that's a great idea. My storage is in a remote area. Lots of snakes and mice and stuff. So basically I should look and just make sure no openings at all and spray foam it? I think I'll be ok without surge protector. Never needed one on old trailer.
I love the rear door to bathroom also. Bummed my unit doesn't have an outdoor kitchen. But it does have quick connect propane valve. So I'll be setting up my own outdoor kitchen. Wife hates the bacon cooked inside. lol.
Yep, I was under there with a flashlight and foam can and ANY opening which looked even slightly questionable got a shot. I even checked where they did spray some foam, and several of those areas were barely hanging on. So I pulled it off and sprayed the good stuff in it's place. I checked electrical runs, propane line entrances, plumbing runs, hydraulic lines leaving the pump for the slides (slides are hydraulic), EVERYWHERE. I do this check twice a year (pulling it out of winter storage, and before it goes into storage for the winter).

Yeah, my wife absolutely doesn't want any food smells in her trailer (wait, what?!?! Lol).

One more thing. Since our fridges are automatic but there is no temperature adjustment knob, and you find the fridge could stand to be a bit cooler, move the temperature probe that's on the fins inside the fridge to the left a few fins (you just pull it off and press it back on the new fin). It will make the fridge colder.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to tell you what I know!

Have fun!

2017 Cherokee 294BH
Old 08-09-2016, 12:17 AM   #18

Congrats from Texas! I picked up my first RV last week.
2,430 Miles Traveled
16 Nights Camped
TexasChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #19

Here is a picture of my new RV. I tow it with a Ram, 6 speed manual, 4x4, diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-dry-camp_2460.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	116713  
Old 08-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Yep, I was under there with a flashlight and foam can and ANY opening which looked even slightly questionable got a shot. I even checked where they did spray some foam, and several of those areas were barely hanging on. So I pulled it off and sprayed the good stuff in it's place. I checked electrical runs, propane line entrances, plumbing runs, hydraulic lines leaving the pump for the slides (slides are hydraulic), EVERYWHERE. I do this check twice a year (pulling it out of winter storage, and before it goes into storage for the winter).

Yeah, my wife absolutely doesn't want any food smells in her trailer (wait, what?!?! Lol).

One more thing. Since our fridges are automatic but there is no temperature adjustment knob, and you find the fridge could stand to be a bit cooler, move the temperature probe that's on the fins inside the fridge to the left a few fins (you just pull it off and press it back on the new fin). It will make the fridge colder.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to tell you what I know!

Have fun!

So I looked under trailer today and looks like no rhyme or reason for where and how much spray was used. A ton of stuff if exposed. Hoses and wires but there is only one area in the rear of the trailer near some plumbing where it looks like it opens to inside. I don't want any critters crawling up thru there. I looked online. Do u just use the "great stuff" type spray foam from Home Depot. Any advice on spraying the stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2017 forest river Cherokee limited 274dbh

Tow vehicle 2011 Toyota Tundra crewmax 5.7l v8. 4x4