Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2008, 09:56 AM   #1

New owner of a 2701SS

Hi Everyone!

We live near Milwaukee, Wisconsin and bought our Rockwood Ultra Lite from a local dealer, Roskopf RV, about a month ago. They worked on our truck, installing a brake controller, and did a few things on the trailer, like putting an awning over the slide, and exchanging the inside light fixtures with ones having a 12 volt outlet so we could use our 12 volt fans when we do not have shore power. I still do not like the Carlisle tires on the trailer but the people at the dealer told me to take the trailer off of their lot and then make a warranty complaint so that I could get a free exchange of tires. I'll call them today and "complain" to start the process.

I have the very detailed PDI instructions from this Forum and I took them to the dealer when we took delivery. We just had a normal walk-through which took about 2+ hours. The dealer assured us that everything should be alright in the trailer and they will fix anything we find wrong. They have been in the RV business for 52 years. So far, everything is fine.

The 10 mile trip home was very easy. We have a 2005 Tundra 2wd with the 4.7L engine and the tow package. We have an equalizer hitch. I know this truck is kind of marginal but with easy driving, not in overdrive, I think we should be fine in Wisconsin this summer. (We've done 2 cross-country bicycle trips, mostly tent camping, where my wife pulled trailers with our loaded stuff. On the second trip, in 2004, we went from San Diego to St. Augustine pulling a 1500# enclosed trailer with a 2002 90hp VW Jetta TDI (turbo diesel), 5 speed, with no trouble at all. With the trip out to the San Diego and back from St. Augustine we put on 8000 miles from that trip. The earlier trip, in 2002, was from Washington (state) to Maine. On this trip we pulled a lighter utility trailer with bikes and camping stuff, again with the Jetta. If you really, really need any more details check out http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/rfriedel.)

We traded in a pop-up camper for the trailer and we spent the last couple of days moving the camping stuff into the new trailer. Seems to be a lot of room. Especially compared to an 8 foot pop-up!! The much discussed Concertone system seems to be working just fine. We have the 22 inch LCD (digital) TV in the trailer. Making beds is kind of hard. I'll use a sleeping bag on top of the fitted mattress sheet for the rear bed for ease of use. I've spent so much time in my sleeping bag that it seems like "old home," and it will be no problem. My wife is fine with that too.

I slept in the trailer last night. I turned off the heat and the outside temperature got down to 39 degrees but I was just fine. All of that tent camping in all kinds of weather got me used to almost anything.

We are going to be campground hosts in northern Wisconsin for 3 weeks in May. Hope the snow is gone by then!!!!

Ron, Sandy, and Hildy (our wonderful!! "tweener" long-haired dachschund)
Biker_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Welcome to the forum!
I'll be down inyour neck 'o the woods in July for a Jimmy Buffett concert at Alpine Valley. Not camping, however.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #3

welcome. i too purchased an 08 2701ss. we love it. only had minor issues and the one major issue of the contertone. i have replaced it 11 times. i tow it with a 05 gmc crew cab short box 2500hd duramax. it tows like a dream. we ordered it on july 4th and got it mid aug. only have two major trips on it but both were good. hope you have as much fun with yours as we are having with ours.
skidoonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #4

Welcome

Welcome to the forum. We have a Flagstaff 27BHSS, which is the twin of the Rockwood 2701. We have had a couple issues, but things are looking up. We took it out on our first trip last weekend, and we are planning on going out again next weekend. It's a nice trailer and a great upgrade from our hybrid we had for a couple years. You should enjoy it.

2008 Flagstaff 27BHSS
2006 Ford E-350 XLT 5.4L
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer Hitch
Bedford Indiana

kristler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #5

Welcome to FRF, Biker Ron.
Congrats on your new 27BHSS.

Sounds as though you have a very strong dealer to back you.
Hope you enjoy your new travel trailer.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #6

Congrats, And Welcome To The Forum!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #7

A quick followup

Hi Everyone,

We have had the trailer at home for a week now and are spending the time making lists, reading about dewinterizing (will do it in a couple of days), and adding a few modifications. I installed 3 battery powered push button LED lights, the stick-on type with a screw in the wall for backup, one at the door and the other two in the bedrooms. I'll modify the screen door closure over the weekend so we won't need to slide open the hatch and I'll add a pull bar. I'm also interested in a digital thermostat and I'm reading the posts about those.

I watched Stanley Cup hockey and the Masters on the 22 inch LCD TV over last weekend and the picture was just great. I was using the built-in antenna and amplifier to watch these local digital channels.

I've been sleeping in the trailer. We have thin Tempur-Pedic type mattress toppers which are nice. The mattress heaters also work well. You do need to pull the mattress out of the back bedroom to stretch on the topper, mattress pad and fitted sheet. I'm using an open sleeping bag on top. A down comforter would also work well and be easy to make up the bed

Now for the bad. The power converter died. Being at home we were connected to shore power. Gradually all the 12 volt stuff stopped working. I found low battery voltage, connected a battery charger, and after a bit everything was O.K. I called my local dealer and they told me to test the converter by disconnecting the battery while plugged in. No 12 volts now so they told me to bring the trailer in. They found 2 bad fuses, changed them, and the new ones blew too. They then replaced the converter and everything is fine again. We were at the dealer for maybe an hour.

I did get a chance to tow the rig at 60 mph on the freeway in a 30-40 mph wind. A little "busy" but not bad even when semis passed me. (There were peak gusts of 55 mph with power outages here yesterday. And I went for a 30 mile bike ride. LOL)

So we practiced connecting and disconnecting the trailer and backing it into our driveway again.Not bad.

It was funny being at the dealer. There was a guy there walking around the lot looking at rigs and he talked with my wife like we were old pros. Us, who had a pop-up for a year.

Ron
Biker_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2701ss