Old 09-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
New owner of Forest River 27HFS TH

Hello Everyone,

This has been a stressful past 3 weeks. First of all my wife and I have decided to buy a new toy hauler. I shoot sporting clays and she loves the outdoors and a book. She came up with the idea about the travel trailer instead of a Mustang Convertible for her and I about fell over. We used to camp years ago with a popup when the kids were little, then sold the camper as they became older and in sports. We actually didn't have time to go with only one week of the year that was free.

I guess the stress comes from trying to learn and read so much from forums and to talk to people to see if you are getting a good deal or not and what to look for.

First off I just recently purchased an 09 Silverado 1500 used with very low miles, so we were not in the market for a travel trailer at that time. Now that we have been looking at travel trailers I have found out a 2500 would have been a much better way to go, but that's life.

Sooooo after a lot of research and head scratching we decided on the 27 HFS, because it is compatible with the truck. The truck has a transmission cooling system and tow package, plus I added a set of air bags for the rear axle.

We looked around locally at a show that had Forest River trailers, got some prices, got online got some prices and then contacted RVWholesalers and got some prices.

We spec'd out a trailer with the options we wanted and received a price and will be financing with them so the interest rate went from 8.5 to 5.75 with our credit rating. OK now I am smiling.

The wife and I went and spent a whole day going to their lot (a four hour drive one way) and look around. They had one on the lot, but it had more options than we wanted, plus I wanted to actually see the weight of the trailer with the options. (Do not believe the brochures) She lifted up the cover on the sink and low and behold there is the invoice and price for the trailer that is already sold and is waiting to be delivered to NH.

Hmmmm almost $2500 more in options than we had on our specs for ours, PLUS $1675 in credit cash to spend on anything you wanted ie: leveling pads, hitch, brake system,etc. But the total for that trailer was $50 less in price than the one we spec'd that had less features.

The next day I was on the phone with our salesman and told him we were very interested BUT YOU HAVE TO WORK ON THE PRICE. Well he said I can not move too much, there is not a lot of mark up, etc, etc, etc. So I told him the story of the invoice ( A VERY LONG SILENCE ON THE PHONE ).

He gave us the $2500 in options and the $1675 cash for the extras and an interest rate of 5.25 for $50 less than the trailer we spec'd. So we ordered the travel trailer.

Now they are calling me on an extended warranty for $1999 and lowering the interest rate to 4.75 if I take it. I emailed them today and said I would take the extended warranty for $1250 and the lower interest rate. Still waiting on his reply back. I have decided on the warranty, because of all the things that I have seen on this forum that seems to go wrong with this model. I know nobody posts if things are ok.

Please it has been 25 years since we camped !!! Has it changed ?? Any advice on what we need to take or helpful tips would help us out very much.

leadhead358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Forest river offers a second year warranty for 150.00
Check to see if yours qualifies.

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by leadhead358

Please it has been 25 years since we camped !!! Has it changed ?? Any advice on what we need to take or helpful tips would help us out very much.
First of all, great story. Nice job negotiating that cost

The biggest changes we've noticed, at least within our State Parks that we like to camp at, are the crowds and the difficulty in getting a spot without making reservations well ahead of time. This is mostly a problem with electric sites or on the weekends. There just seems to be more RVers than ever and we all want our air conditioning, I guess.

The other big change is ban on bringing in firewood from more than 25 miles away. A shame for us because we live in a forest and I've got more than I know what to do with. In our area, it's because of the emerald ash borer. Check out your region's DNR.

As for what to take, I suggest you camp a couple nights in your driveway first. Stock up, then go to a nearby park. These dry runs will help you to figure out what works best for you. Its really dependent on how you camp (dry, electric only or full hookups) and where (State parks, national park or forest, private, etc). Try not to buy too much until you do this (unless you have a bottomless wallet).

Congrats on your trailer and have fun.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote