Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #1

New Owners - Screen Porch Q

Hi,

We just took delivery of our first RV. We drove home a 2013 Solera 24 MS on Monday. So far that is the only drive, but it was certainly a joy to drive.

As we begin to plan for a new journey into the RV life (I have a limited experience with my family as a wee lad, but the wife has none) we are interested in adding a screen porch to the awning of the Solera (love the name and the winemaking implications).

However, we were warned off by the service rep at the dealer that suggested it takes up to 2 hours to add the screen to the awning and that for a lot less $$ we could just get a screen pop-up. While that idea is "OK", we would really prefer to step out the door and into the screen porch. As would our puppy, I am sure.

Any experiences you would like to share as well as vendors would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Larry

Old 01-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacy View Post
Hi,

We just took delivery of our first RV. We drove home a 2013 Solera 24 MS on Monday. So far that is the only drive, but it was certainly a joy to drive.

As we begin to plan for a new journey into the RV life (I have a limited experience with my family as a wee lad, but the wife has none) we are interested in adding a screen porch to the awning of the Solera (love the name and the winemaking implications).

However, we were warned off by the service rep at the dealer that suggested it takes up to 2 hours to add the screen to the awning and that for a lot less $$ we could just get a screen pop-up. While that idea is "OK", we would really prefer to step out the door and into the screen porch. As would our puppy, I am sure.

Any experiences you would like to share as well as vendors would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Larry
Congrats on your new 2013 Solera! Sure you will have many wonderful memories camping in it.

I can't answer your question directly but have heard that the screen walls ends up being a lot of work but could be worth it. Many RV owners will use a screen pop-up for ease of setting it up and time factor.

You may wish to do a search here on the forums on this topic. Also might try searching the Internet for video clips on setting it up.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #3

W.e just traded our Solera S for the MS. I cannot wait for it to get here.Do you like the space in yours.We were talking about the screen porch,but have not had the time to research. Ours will not be here until March, so the wait begins.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #4

They can be a great addition of space. Not good for weekend use but for a week or so are great. Search the internet there is a tips sit on how to set up (I think it is a patty o room) After the initial set up takes about 20 minutes to set up. Good luck

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #5

We're thinking of getting the MS, and it sounds fantastic to have an outside screen room. Where would you store this tho? Does the 24MS have enough space for storage for a screen porch or popup porch? Thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Just my opinion

We briefly thought about this but storage & setup time changed our minds.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
2013 - days engaged in camping so for... (28)
normh915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Just my opinion

Oh, congrats on your purchase & welcome to the world of camping.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
2013 - days engaged in camping so for... (28)
normh915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

We want one, too. I like the idea that it's right outside the door. Don't have one- just can't justify the money.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #9

Congrats on your new camper.

For the screen room, when we bought the popup, we got an "add a room" with it. In 6 years, I used that about 4 times. It took too long to set up for a weekend. It was also pretty heavy and took up a lot of valuable packing space. However, it was really nice to have that extra room when camping. Get stuff out of the camper, avoid the bugs, etc. We ended up getting a screen room to put over the picnic table in camp. Works great, but isn't attached to the camper in any way.

When we bought the Roo, we did not opt for a screen room and actually don't even know if they exist for hybrid campers.