Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #1

New pop-up in Colorado Springs

My wife and I bought a new pop-up last month. I am getting too old to sleep on the dang ground, and we got tired off being the only family in our group that was sleeping in a tent.

This is out first camper....and it's brand new. I have looked at used ones for over 3 years and found that most of them needed so much work either because people abused them or did perform any maintenance.

I went small and light so we went with the 1640esp. This way when I go hunting I can still tow it with my little 03 wrangler. My wife's biggest issue is the lack of bathroom for night. So I think I will just put a porta-potty in it at night for her.

I have been "lurking" on here for about a month. But If any of you have any advice or anything else to say, I would love to hear it.

Happy Camping!
booyaah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #2

Welcome from Wisconsin and enjoy sleeping off the ground in your new popup!
Do a search for the Reflectix and PUG/solar blanket mods for your popup.
Always loved camping in your beautiful area of Colorado.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #3

Thanks. We moved here almost 10 years ago from the Buffalo NY area. i never get tired of running away to the mountains. I will try the reflectix. I think my wife is going a little crazy seeing all the extra stuff I am trying to do with the brand new camper. All my "mod" stuff for projects is all over the garage. When I get it all done I will post some pics in the pop-up section.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #4

Welcome from SW Ohio , you'll love the change from tenting. Enjoy your TT !
Old 03-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #5

Welcome from Otego, NY! We went from tenting, to a pop-up and now a 5-th wheel. I call it the evolution of camping. The joy of not sleeping on the ground is great! Don't be surprised the day you start looking at something larger! God Bless.
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Congrats on the pop-up

Welcome from the top side land of Lincoln

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #7

If you ever need any mechanical, electrical, plumbing, (solar), generator advice or help, hit me up. I like helping out new folks to our RV community and my fee is usually a couple of beers and a pizza for bigger jobs.

We started with a hardshell pop-up camper about 10 years ago and are now up to a 30 foot 5th wheeler.

On our first camping trip it took us 2 days to get to Silverthorne from Colorado Springs. We stopped at a great camp site in South Fork and met a nice bunch of people around the campfire that told us the following: "You will upgrade your camper by 2 feet every couple of years". In 10 years we went from towing our popup with our diesel Jeep Liberty to various campers and two 1/2 ton trucks before we settled down with our 5th wheel and a 1 ton diesel Ford.

I'm warning you now, when you do upgrade your RV you should buy the biggest truck you can barely afford because you may find yourself in the future eventually needing it!

Welcome aboard and if you are into back country camping (no camp grounds and no 'hookups' give us a holler. The wife and I are looking for adventurous people to join us in spots away from crowded campgrounds. You can borrow our generator for power to top off your batteries till you get one of your own.

We have a couple of spots that are within 2 hours of Colorado Springs that are nice for getting away and enjoying nature.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 AM   #8

Thanks. I will definitely keep you in mind. I hope you work for home brewed beer that is around 10 percent!

There is already a trip planned to the flat top for late August, and a "shakedown" trip for early April ( we will stay close to home).
Old 03-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #9

Congratulations on your new popup.

When we had ours ( just DH and I), we had a port-a-potty, purchased from Walmart ($50) and we used it only at night to keep from having to exit and traipse to the bath house. It would last right at 7 days without emptying, but the emptying was easy.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote