Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #1

New - possibly buying our first Forest River this week

We have been camping for some time, owned numerous travel trailers and one popup. We bought our first brand new trailer in 2011, having owned all pre-owned/used prior. It was a KZ spree and we have been less than satisfied. We love the new Salem Hemisphere RK, but we are a little 'gun-shy' about taking the hit on a brand new and being dissastified with workmanship like we were with the KZ. Any thoughts to help us take the plunge to this new purchase? We want this trailer to be able to take us into retirement travels, about 7 years away...
Maria and Jesse, Floyds Knobs, Indiana
snooksmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #2

Oh my gosh, that TT is gorgeous! I want one.
1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Always Learning

Advice wise- no TT is perfect and they all have flaws coming from the factory. There will be warranty claims and there will be work that has to happen. Sad but true.

I'm still glad I bought new, though. That said- I have a Sabre, not a Salem.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #4

we have just purchased our second F.R. product and i think they make a very good product. first was a 5er had 3 little isues, they seem to take time on their details. but i think it has a lot to do with the dealer. our dealer is great. can hardly wait to start camping.

kd camper
2011 Chev 3500 cc 6.0 l
2013 8329SS d. pkge
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
MI Camperz

I hate to say it, but I'm the opposite. I'd rather buy one a few years old and not suffer the depreciation and have the bugs worked out. Mine was 4 years old when I bought it. It's big and tall, 34' TT. We got it for a seasonal site and essentially don't tow. It looked brand new! My thought was: these people bought it and then found out hauling it was a big fat exhausting deal, which it would be. Lots of people buy toys and then never use them.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Are you considering buying off the lot or ordering it? While we might not have a clear image of the big picture here on the forums it does seem like those that of us that brought off the lot had less surprises. Of course stuff can go wrong with either option. With that said - I love my Salem Cruise Lite!

Good luck with your decision.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #7

Still trying to decide

We could have gotten this TT cheaper at the Louisville, Ky show in January, but we werent ready to take the plunge. Now, we really want it and since the 2013's are gone, its costing us almost $5,000 more than the one at the show! We are really torn. Should we jump now, or wait till the next show in January? Meanwhile, our 2011 KZ Spree will depreciate in value, and who's to say that the price of this one in January wont be increased further? Any advice?
snooksmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
daydreaming about camping

We walked through a Salem Hemisphere at the RV show. We had looked at one online when purchasing, but the dealer pricing was horrible so crossed it quickly off list. Anyway - we were really impressed with the Hemisphere at the show. The decor was actually a little nicer than what we would pick, very upscale. Fit and finish looked very good. Show pricing would have made it an option, but already had our Coachmen.

As for buying new - with competitive pricing and a very picky family, in some respects it is cheaper than used. By the time I would have done upgrades etc to an older unit and setting aside money for any problems that might pop-up, a newer unit looks pretty attractive.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
MI Camperz

A lot of dealers offer "show prices" again. Also, some of them have mini shows where the mfgr. sponsors events/show pricing right at their dealership. Keep shopping and call around for the special events at dealers in your area. One near me is having a show this w/e. Free hot dogs too!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Site Team

Buying an RV is similar to buying a car where you might not pay the sticker price. If it were me I would try to find out the best price from the dealer and think it over. One downside I can see is that the peak camping season is right around the corner. Generally I would expect a better price when sales are slower.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Buying an RV is similar to buying a car where you might not pay the sticker price. If it were me I would try to find out the best price from the dealer and think it over. One downside I can see is that the peak camping season is right around the corner. Generally I would expect a better price when sales are slower.
I thought this too last year, and figured end of summer was best time to buy, but found out not true at all. No local dealer was willing to move off their season long pricing even with frost in the forecast. We traveled to get ours at an ordered price which was about 10-20% less than local dealer.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooksmama View Post
We have been camping for some time, owned numerous travel trailers and one popup. We bought our first brand new trailer in 2011, having owned all pre-owned/used prior. It was a KZ spree and we have been less than satisfied. We love the new Salem Hemisphere RK, but we are a little 'gun-shy' about taking the hit on a brand new and being dissastified with workmanship like we were with the KZ. Any thoughts to help us take the plunge to this new purchase? We want this trailer to be able to take us into retirement travels, about 7 years away...
Maria and Jesse, Floyds Knobs, Indiana
You live in the very state that manufactures more RV's than any other... Take a ride to south bend and have a look around. I to have owned many different types of RV's and up until 12 years ago all were used. I do not tow my camper so quality began with metal siding. I am not a fan of the fiberglass panel sided RV's as they tend to delaminate over time. There are many beautiful RV's available. I am sorry that you have been disappointed in the past and I can tell you first hand that there are plenty of RV's that are junk. Wildwood and Salem are the best I have ever owned and both are made by Forest River. I own a Grand Villa 40 FLFB. It's big, Roomy and suits my needs to a tee. I hope you find a suitable unit for yourselves and begin to put some faith back into a camper of your choice...Good luck.
hotshott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #13

Sad fact today is that you will end up paying a fair bit for a new trailer and it will be full of a lot of junk pieces.

Plastic faucets and fixtures, made in china pex lines that are not really pex lines, shoddy electrical installation, particle board cabinets and countertops, genuine "panaphonic" entertainment systems (IE: junk), etc, etc.

A lot of this is for weight savings, but it's also manufactures trying to maximize their profit margins.

Just about everywhere you go, you will find this type of thing.

Now, that being said, if you're half ways handy, it's all easy fixes when or if it breaks.

We've got a 2011 flagstaff classic and it's already required tweaking and work. IE: plastic faucets had to be replaced, plastic lines replaced with real pex lines, warping countertops replaced with coriander like product, chassis wiring redone in areas, etc.

However, it's also got alot going for it: colors are modern and pleasing, floor plan is just what we like, tows relatively easy with my older 3/4 ton diesel, nice slide outs and an atrium slide, it's feature packed with power jacks/stabs/awnings, etc.

pics:

I'd say pick the best rig for your use and fully expect to spend a bit more on it getting it just right in some areas. By all means warranty what you can, but don't be surprised if your new righ is "some assembly required"

Kind of like buying a new house. No matter how good the builder was, there's always something that needs fixing....

For depreciation, meh. If you plan to keep it for the next ten years or so, does it matter? Get what you like.

For dealer prices, well....that depends on where you are. When we bought our flagstaff, we haggled them down nearly 10 grand. 38,000 asking and got out just under 30,000. Of course, I though 38,000 was ridiculous to start with.

Where we are now though, you'd be lucky to get a dealer to move a couple grand and the prices are still in the ridiculous category.

In your situ, my advice would be to get a price in mind and hold firm to it. Maybe come up a little bit, but hold to it. If you don't get what you want: walk.

You've got 7 years to retirement and you've already got a trailer in the driveway to serve you until you find what you want at the price you want,

Don't let that new trailer fever drag you into something you didn't want....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #14

I prefer not to take "the hit" of a new unit, although we have bought new. Typically in TT/MH it is very much like buying a car. Even though you think you will keep it forever, I have found a rare individual who does that. Do your homework, scout internet sites for potential issues with your particular model, run the numbers on kbb then, hopefully, your choice will be clear Happy Hunting~