Old 02-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #11

TV Mods

Am in planning stage (major ordeal for us) of adding a TV antenna mast or other means for tv reception when camped in state parks or other non-cable locales. Satellite is not an option.

Will appreciate any and all suggestions/recommendations.

Charley
2011 Tacoma Dbl Cab
2011 A128

Old 02-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #12

It's been a month since we brought home our new A122 and we have successfully completed our maiden trip. Our two-day camp in Stephen Foster state park was more of a test run for us. Compared to the motorcycle camper we have used the last couple of years, the A122 feels like a class A RV. The setup was as easy as it is advertised. The weather was near perfect so we didn't need the furnace or heat pump, but we tested them to learn how they operate. No problem with noise on either of those units. The hot water heater worked well also and it kicked on a couple of times during the night, but we didn't find it too noisy. I think if it is too noisy for you, then just turn it off prior to bed. It only takes a few minutes to get the water hot anyway.

We took a short nap in the afternoon and the overhead fan did a good job of bringing in fresh air through an open window. We found that leveling the camper was easy, the refrigerator worked as advertised, the outside grill set up was a breeze, the stove boiled a couple of eggs without issue, and the microwave actually heated up a bowl of beans.

I did manage to screw up the bed support. This gas strut is attached to the bottom of the bed with three screws. The bed is just 1/4 inch Luan plywood, not the strongest material in the world. I guess I lifted the bed further than it was supposed to be lifted and pulled the screws out. I fixed the problem using machine bolts screws, and washers.

Prior to our trip, I looked underneath the unit and was not pleased with the shoddy wiring job, so I spent a few dollars to get that tidied up.

Now I'm looking for a way to hang two bikes off the rear tire. All in all we are happy with our new Class A.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleworks View Post
I did manage to screw up the bed support. This gas strut is attached to the bottom of the bed with three screws. The bed is just 1/4 inch Luan plywood, not the strongest material in the world. I guess I lifted the bed further than it was supposed to be lifted and pulled the screws out. I fixed the problem using machine bolts screws, and washers.
Great to hear everything went good for you and your enjoying your new "Class A".

Just an idea. I've found that if I strip out a wood screw I can fill the hole with some toothpicks and a little silicone caulk and I never have a problem after that. I've used this fix on many things for years and it hasn't failed me yet.

Can't help you with the bike rack though. I know others on here will be able to.

Good luck and happy camping!

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:31 AM   #14

My under bed strut was DOA on delivery. It had ripped out the screws on the upper end. I removed it and tried compressing it or extending it and couldn't budge the darn thing an inch. Seemed like kind of a half assed install in the first place. Might just live without it.

Let us know about the bike rack. I have a bike rig that hangs over the spare on my tow vehicle, works well there. Not sure the spare mount on the trailer is strong enough, but it feels sturdy enough. If you want, I'll check the maker name and post it.

Moonunitnv
Old 02-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #15
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleworks View Post
Now I'm looking for a way to hang two bikes off the rear tire. All in all we are happy with our new Class A.
don't do it unless your bikes are not worth much!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50

Great to hear everything went good for you and your enjoying your new "Class A".

Just an idea. I've found that if I strip out a wood screw I can fill the hole with some toothpicks and a little silicone caulk and I never have a problem after that. I've used this fix on many things for years and it hasn't failed me yet.

Can't help you with the bike rack though. I know others on here will be able to.

Good luck and happy camping!
I wanted something a little stronger so instead of screwing the mount back the way it was, I ran bolts completely through the bed and bracket.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonunitnv
My under bed strut was DOA on delivery. It had ripped out the screws on the upper end. I removed it and tried compressing it or extending it and couldn't budge the darn thing an inch. Seemed like kind of a half assed install in the first place. Might just live without it.

Let us know about the bike rack. I have a bike rig that hangs over the spare on my tow vehicle, works well there. Not sure the spare mount on the trailer is strong enough, but it feels sturdy enough. If you want, I'll check the maker name and post it.

Moonunitnv
At first I thought the strut was bad because I too couldn't budge it. Well it is rated at 100 lbs and is very hard to move. When out of it's mount it is fully extended so I put mine in a 3 ft long pipe clamp and could easily compress the strut. I would just consider your strut to be good, drill three holes through the stripped out holes and reattach the strut bracket with #10 1 1/2 inch machine screws with washers on the top surface of the bed.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan

don't do it unless your bikes are not worth much!
Bikes are old and not worth much. However, I don't see them bouncing around much more than they have been behind my TV. My main concerns are the strength of the tire mount and whether two bikes will affect the towability of the trailer.

The Thule tire mount literature says it's not designed for use behind a trailer because it is not made to handle the additional stresses. I don't plan on taking it over rough terrain, maybe a few crummy campground roads now and then.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #19

Apology

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki4cri View Post
Am in planning stage (major ordeal for us) of adding a TV antenna mast or other means for tv reception when camped in state parks or other non-cable locales. Satellite is not an option.

Will appreciate any and all suggestions/recommendations.

Charley
2011 Tacoma Dbl Cab
2011 A128
Should not have used Title: TV MOD, Was thinking television but am now aware that here TV equivocates to tow vehicle. Regardless, did find ample informaqtion in threads on the AlinerChalet group on Yahoo,

Charley
Lakeland, FL
2011 Tacoma Dbl Cab, 2011 Rockwell A128
Old 05-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #20

I tried Toleworks fix for the underbed strut, longer screws with locking bolts. Seems to be working fine, so far.

I was still having leak problems along the rear wall, bad enough to soak a quarter of the mattress. dried it out inside. No mold, thanks to the normally dry climate here. Got inside today with the top up and had the wife "rain" on it with a hose. No leaks. Then I had her fold it down on me, latch it up and prepare to "rain" on me again. Before she started the rain, I immediately noticed that water was leaking on to the bed platform again. It was coming in over the top of the aluminum extrusion siding along the rear of the roof panel. I popped it up again and had her inside while I sprayed a little water along the rear, bottom, edge of the panel. Immediately water started dripping in heavily. I then checked that rear edge off the roof panel. I could see that the panel/extruded aluminum edging caulking job was messed up. Can't tell if it was just badly done caulking or if, while the caulk was still wet, the roof panel some how got torqued a little and stretched the caulking, but the caulking bead is a mess. Hoping Monday to get it to authorized FR repair and get it fixed.

Dang, we were hoping to be on the road Monday with the trailer for a short shake down cruise.

On another note, has anybody weighed their A model yet? I'm guessing mine, completely dry except for propane, is substantially over 300 lbs. tongue weight.

Tags
a122