Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #1

New Roo Wannabee

Hi All,
Looks like we'll be joining the ranks of Roo owners soon.
My wife recently retired and I'm all but retired so we've decided to give RV'ing a go.
Some of my fondest memories are of a month long cross country National Park trip my parents took my brother and myself on in 1969. I was in in Yellowstone dodging moose and looking up at the moon for the Apollo landing and Neil Armstrong's moonwalk. We made the trip in a Skamper Pop-up. I loved it.
The pop-up eventually became a semi-permanently installed on a site at Ocean View Campground in Ocean View, NJ. It was eventually replaced by a hard sided Terry that was replaced by a shingle roofed park model with central air and a huge enclosed sun room. My parents both passed away over the last five years and I inherited the trailer.
The time has come to sell the park model and cut the cord from the seasonal relationship with OVR, (Ocean View Resort).
We want to do the National Parks and Canada and who knows, maybe Mexico and Alaska too.
Started out with Airstream in our eyes, but too pricey, so thought maybe we could buy used, but too many headaches. I want to travel and camp, not restore endlessly....
On our return from a recent trip to OVR we were going to stop at Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, NJ just to tease and annoy ourselves. I inadvertently got off the Parkway an exit too early and was wending my way toward Colonial when we passed an outdoor RV show. What the heck, let's check it out.
I at first wasn't going to go in because of the $12.00 parking fee and u-turned out, but my wife's cooler head prevailed and I re-u-turned back, paid my $12.00 and entered. All serendipitous.
It was almost too much to take in. I didn't want to even LOOK at rigs that I knew I could never afford, so I just walked by a lot.
Then the Roos with the pop-out sides appeared. I got a nostalgic tug and decided to take a look. I was more impressed than I thought I would be. And my wife LOVED them. Especially the pop-out soft sides of the hybrids. We actually went back to take a second look.
Didn't but one, but the hook was set. Wife is officially chomping at the bit. Airstream and Arctic Fox are out. A Roo is in.
Now, all the questions...new or used? What to be wary of in the used market? What improvements have been made over the years that could tip the scales towards purchasing a certain model year or newer unit? Leaks? Known issues?
For a TV I have an 04 Sierra 1500 V8 5.3 4WD Short Bed Crew Cab with 3.42 ratio rear and towing package. Using the online calculator I can do up to a 6000# loaded trailer. So we're staying with a Roo 17, 183 or 19. We'll have a cap on the truck, Hobie Tandem Mirage tri-kayak on the roof, and two bikes in the bed of the truck. I know, it all adds up fast...
We'd like to be up and running so we can take the trailer down to Fort Lauderdale to visit my daughter and son-in law and granddaughter for Thanksgiving.
Whew. Glad I got all that off my chest.
Anyhow, Hi to everyone!
Jeff and Carole and Ace the mini-poodle from Sparta, NJ.
skeenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Team

since you livei in NJ, go to RVDirect's website and see what used they have. they have two NY dealerships.
also get a quote on a new Roo. they and RVW are the top Roo sellers in the country.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #3

Thanks. I just requested a quote from RVDirect. Who's RVW?
Jeff
skeenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #4

RV Wholesalers

The Original RV Wholesalers - RV Sales, RV Parts, RV Dealer, RV Super Store Dealer, 5th Wheel, Forest River
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #5

I just upgraded from a pop-up (purchased new 11 years ago) to a Roo 21SS. Only one trip to date but love it so far. Love the "pop-up feeling" with the bunkends, but with the convenience of a hard sided trailer AND indoor plumbing.

Molly, my camping cockapoo, crossed the Rainbow Bridge in May 2020. She was almost 18. Still miss her.
My new companion is Maggie, a maltipoo. She was a year old in April.
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #6

We went from a pop up to an Antigua 195ck. Loved that camper. Never had an issue. The problem that I encountered with it was having two 2 year olds at the time we started to out grow it quickly and it was a lot of set up and take down for a quick weekend away. We tend to do a lot of KOA type camping and they tend to be a lot noisier than state campgrounds and the canvas sides gave little noise protection. I did love the openness of the bunks with the "window" opened.

We trades for a TT which gave us the ease I wanted.
On a side note we took that TT to OVR last summer and had a great time we loved the lake and our site was over looking the lake. To me that CG was more like a trailer park than a campground but I really ended up enjoying it!

Hope you have many great adventures with your new roo.
Safe travels !
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo