Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #21

Great to see that they have brought the Shasta brand back but I cannot believe that they did not reproduce the signature "wings" on the sides of the trailer. It just isn't a Shasta without the wings.
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #22
Brigitte

Just got our 21FBS LE today. What a pain to get the Reese Dual cam WD hooked up. Due to the huge A frame, angle just wasn't working out. Looks like they have it set up right but on the last chain link. Are your TT's A frames as thick as mine?
First tow ever, so not sure how it's supposed to feel like. The anti sway is not installed yet. Feels ok to tow, straight line but should i feel the truck pulling back and forth with trailer like tug of war? Or like someome giving gas and letting and giving gas and letting go. Not too pronounced bu feeling it. Is that normal?
Also, should i press the tow/haul button on dodge ram?
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #23

r u feeling a forward and backward tug of war? if so, could be electric brake controller calibration issue.
tow/haul button engaged is a good idea to keep your transmission temp down. watch your trans temp with engaged and without and compare. what happens sometimes (depending on your load) is the trans will "search" for the right gear while in normal overdrive causing the trans to over heat.tow/haul will limit the "searching" and help keep the temp down, especially in stop and go traffic and up and down mountains/hills. hope this helps....

Rich, Steph, Ava, & Micah
2010 Sierra 1500 SLE Z60
2011 Shasta Revere 30 CKBH
RichieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #24
Brigitte

rich, I was scared my truck wouldn't be able to tow the Shasta Revere 21 FBS but I see you pull much bigger than this. I'm a newbie in all this. Never even had a pop up, just tents lol
Timbrens
Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #25

We has put an order in for a Shasta 26bhs with he triple bunks back in Feb. A local dealer had brought on a whole line of demos for a show and was giving a factory rebate of $2000 if we ordered. Was not overly excited about the brand as I could find no information about them online other than an article about FR buying the name.

The interesting part was that the brochure at the time did not have the weight of the trailer listed. When I asked the dealer about weight he said it was 5100lbs dry. I thought that was imposible considering the type of construction and the size of the slide.

I looked at the trailer for weight stickers and if did not have any. I asked the dealer about it and he said it "must have slipped throughout the cracks". Most of the other trailers also did not have a weight sticker.

In any case, the trailer was not to be delivered until April. We did some more research and still could not find any info online, not even on FR web site.

We went on a RV buying trip in April and decided to stop into a dealer that sold Shasta to get kore info. This dealer did not even have pamphlets on the Shasta line they were selling. They could not give me an exact weight of the trailer.

As a result of this uncertainty, we decide to buy a Surveyor SP 295. turns out the Shasta we ordered came in at close to 6700lbs dry which is way to much for my 2001 Ford F 150.

Whew.
domithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #26
Brigitte

domithor, congrats on your new trailer!

I understand your concern! our dealer didn't have a pamphlet for our's either but I took a chance because I thought our Dodge Ram surely could pull any 21 foot trailer. When I realized the weight of it, I stressed out a bit until people calmed me down by doing the math with my tow vehicle and the travel trailer. All ok.
A little concerned about the brand as it's new again but I have faith as it looks really well built and strong. Time will tell.
We decided to purchase this specific one because of the price as well, we got a pretty good deal as well. We are newbie, first time ever getting a travel trailer.
Timbrens
Old 09-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #27

shastarving.com

Rich, Steph, Ava, & Micah
2010 Sierra 1500 SLE Z60
2011 Shasta Revere 30 CKBH
RichieD is offline   Reply With Quote