Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #1

New Solera24S NorCal

We purchased our first motorhome last night and will take delivery tomorrow

My wife and I also celebrated our first grandchild last week and will be celebrating our 30th anniversary in November. I am an avid hunter (primarily waterfowl) and have been a volunteer hunter education instructor for nearly 15 years but a new RVer and new to this site.

I do need to check into RV insurance and haven't had a chance to search the forums but if someone could direct me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Richard
Antiochrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Richard and congratulations. Sounds like a great time for you and your wife right now with a new grandchild and new MH.

Insurance is a common enough topic. Since you have a Solara, I'd venture your insurance might be quite different than mine. I simply go through my current agent.

You will find threads in the Dollar & Cents subforum and elsewhere.

You could also do a search for RV insurance.

Good luck!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Congratulations on your new Solera. We have had our 2012 Solera "S" since May - love it - great RV.
There are a number of things to check VERY THOUROUGHLY when the dealer does the Pre Delivery Inspection with you. See the Solera section under 'Motorhomes' and the Magnadyne section under 'General Tech and Repair / Appliances and Electronics' in this forum. Don't take delivery until you are satisfied! Some areas of concern on the Solera "S" that we encountered - Slideout mechanism; tires (valve extender issues); shower door latch; Magnadyne M4 LCD in-dash entertainment center and its interface with the TV. It seems hard to get dealer attention after delivery - best to get issues resolved before!
On insurance, we use Allstate for our cars - called them - they covered over the phone and e-mailed "proof of insurance" - no hassle. Not sure about how competitive they are on pricing.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #4

Great to see another Solera on the forum, I too went through my car insurance on my Solera. Some things you might look at is if you want to insure it for the full year or in part depending on how much use your looking at with it. That's an uption your agent should point out to you. Other wise check the seach menu on the forum for insurance it has been decussed before and there are options out there. good luck!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcome and congratulations.

As mentioned, this is my first motorhome and will be picking it up early tomorrow morning. Didn't know squat about the Magnadyne and last night the salesman who sold it to me wasn't even sure if the Solera had a gps or DVD player. He did tell me that a service rep would take me through the entire rig when I pick it up and it would take about 1-1 1/2 hours. I guess my wife and I will be taking lots of notes and if there are more issues I should concentrate on please feel free to comment or post up as I really am unfamiliar with all this stuff.
I know I will probably need to buy some "start up stuff" and was wondering if anyone has already came up with a "must have" list since the dealer is about 2 hours away and would like to get what I really need.
I do know how to use search functions but like I said, I am picking it up in the morning and also new to this forum so...
Old 09-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Richard,
You can generally buy anything you need from Amazon or other internet stores or a well equipped Walmart so don't feel that you need to buy too much from the dealer right off the bat.

If I were you, I would spend the rest of the evening tonight becoming acquainted with PDI checklists. Search the site. And, plan to take more than 1.5 hours for a proper inspection.

The walk through is done for two reasons:

1) To show you how to operate all of the various appliances, devices and systems.

2) To inspect the entire vehicle from soup to nuts. Seriously. Be prepared to go over that unit with a fine tooth comb and do this in your own good time. A checklist will help to keep you on track.

The bottom line is that you have more power now than ever. You want to review everything for both education and to make sure that it is up to snuff. Don't sign the acceptance paperwork until you do and have them fix anything right now before you take ownership. Sure, you can take it back, but its two hours and its nice to get things done before you leave.

Best of luck. I know I sound a little intense about the PDI but its that important.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #7

Richard

I hope you have better luck with the Magnadyne than I have. I've found it some what lacking as a GPS, it's hard to see at times and my keeps shutting off at just the right time. Other wise our Solera is great we love it. I know I keep finding new things that I want to get for my rig, I could send a full day at camping world looking and wishing. You most definitively need to make and/or buy leveling blocks, one thing I had to do was increase the size of the sewer hose outlet in the floor of the utility cabinet and put in a larger access hatch, the hatch which is installed is a little small for the sewer hoses they sell at the stores.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #8

Triguy, thanks for the reply...
Last night with the salesman we did notice a "rough construction" cut at the top of the slide wall panel/wall paper where the wall comes to the vinyl ceiling. It's noticeable (tried unsuccessfully to upload a photo) but I am afraid if they try a fix it will come out worse...
Also, where the curtain slides in front of the bed/bath the slot in the curtain and the pin on the wall don't match up.
These are cosmetic issues and worried that they might make them worse. I wouldn't accept them in a new house but not so sure how finicky I should be with a motorhome?
Old 09-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #9

I don't really worry about the little things and can handle most of them myself, but if you see something that you think needs to be fixed before you take it have them fix it that's what the PID is about.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #10

Thanks for the reply hkreck.

I did find a generic checklist, does anyone know if there is one specifically for the Solera?
Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
2012 Solera

Richard - To get started - a few "essentials" -
-potable water hose. 15 footer will usually work.
-sewer hose and connector. Don't over-buy! A ten foot "slinky" type will just fit in the labeled compartment in the utility bin - with just one fitting. You will have to trim the tabs off the fitting to get it to fit through the exit hole in the Solera's utility cabinet (several posts in the Solera section) (unless you enlarge the hole, as Henry suggested above). A ten footer with only one end will work essentially everywhere. Just stick the hose end without the fitting down the sewer hole when you drain the tanks.
-An ordinary garden hose to use to flush your black tank. NOT to be used for potable water!
-Tank treatment chemical and RV toilet paper
-Leveling blocks. The "leggo" style (check Amazon) are cheap and work well.
-Tire pressure guage. You might want a small 12 volt (high pressure capable) tire inflator also. Useful to top off the tires.
-Miscellaneous tools. Your tool kit will grow...
-Spair hose clamps, duct tape, glues (super, GOOP, etc).
-Coffee maker. A Melita drip funnel - and a small pot to boil water in - works to get started.
-Frying pan.
-food, clothing, bedding (sleeping bags?), potable water to use to drink until you get a chance to sanitize your fresh water system.

I likely missed some - as stated above, Amazon is a good source.

An "overnighter" close to home will be very useful.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #12

you might have to go with the generic one as I don't know of one for the Solera itself. Good Luck with it.