Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
New Tent Trailer Camper

Talking New Tent Camper in New England

Well, after years of asking, I finally broke down to my wife's requests for a popup and invested in a used 2006 Rockwood High Wall 256. She has many fond memories as a child camping in a popup with her family, and spending summers at a variety of season sites in New England. I resisted for years, as my Boy Scout training 25+years ago thought me that camping in anything other than a tent just wasn't camping. That was until I went camping in the trust tent with the fam (wife, 3 young kids plus chocolate lab) last Sept and almost froze!

Now bring us to today, and trailer is in the driveway being prepped by my expert popup camper (aka wife) and weekends are booked up out until end of August when the kids head back to school. Now just up to me to figure out how to de-winterized, fill propane tanks, op check battery and equipment. Also need some replacement poles for the awning; any suggestions where to get these?

Also for Rockwood service is it best to go to a Rockwood authorized dealer, or are just about all RV dealers able to complete service on any brand?

Any recommendations how I now bring along our 5 bikes? I've seen many warning about adding a hitch to the trailer rear bumper, so is it possible to lay them flat onto of the trailer and tie them down?

Thanks the help for this newbie!
TXRI-Tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train

Welcome to the forum.

Hope you enjoy the new to you camper.

Most dealers can work on it. Most of the dealers I have seen carry at least one FR product. Ask campers in your area where they go for their service and who to avoid.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Always Learning

When I had my pop-up, I was able to hang 2 adult bikes and 1 child bike on the back of my SUV using a Thule Raceway 3. Depending on their sizes, I would have then had the roof of my SUV to put the remaining 2 (again- on a name brand (aka expensive) rack).

I had a Coleman popup whose roof was iffy to start, so I wouldn't put them up on top of there. Not sure how yours is. There might even been roof rack systems for it.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2006 Rockwood High Wall 256.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote