Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #1

New to all this

Hello everyone, I'm new to the rv world and will pester you all with questions about how to repair my junker
mcleland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #2

mcleland,
Welcome to the forum.
What brand and make trailer do you call your junker? What year ect...
Any pictures would help us help you.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #3

I have a 92 allegro bay motor home and lost 12 volt power. I'm showing almost 14 volts but if I turn on lights or furnace power goes dead? I'm at a loss on what to do. I'm plugged into shore power and have a charger hooked to battery but same thing.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #4

Welcome! I believe most of us in the RV community have that special motorhome that got us started. Mine was a 2000 Fleetwood Tioga Arrow Class C. I started by searching the internet and manufacture websites for any thing I could to repair my MH. You'll be up and running in no time. Keep an eye on any water leaks on your coach since water damage is the hardest thing to repair. I had to rebuild the whole overhead cab because of a bad seal in the overhead cab window.

The other two items to keep a close watch on are relays and ground wires. Both can cause the problem you are experiencing.

Frank
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #5

Are you on shore power, generator, running motor, or just on 12 volt? Sounds like bad ground or cables.
litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #6

I'm on shore power. I have a charger hooked to battery as a buffer but when I turn on furnace all power drops to 3 volts? Is there a way to bypass so I can run furnace since it's -5 up here rt now?
Old 01-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
Site Team

welcome to FRF!

just so you know, Allegro Bay is not a Forest River brand.
so you should be able to get help with general RV things but not with things specific to your make/model of RV.

i would think that there's a Tiffin owner's website somewhere. they're pretty loyal owners of their Tiffin products.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #8

Sounds like a bad battery. Can you disconnect it an run on converter alone? Make sure terminals are clean. Also, verify your furnace blower moves freely. They're famous varmit homes and a stuck dc motor can do this too.
litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleland View Post
I have a 92 allegro bay motor home and lost 12 volt power. I'm showing almost 14 volts but if I turn on lights or furnace power goes dead? I'm at a loss on what to do. I'm plugged into shore power and have a charger hooked to battery but same thing.
Welcome to the Forum!! When you say "goes dead". what exactly are you saying? Goes to 0 volts? If not, what does the DC volts drop too? Knowing this would help in troubleshooting.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #10

Take the battery out and take it to an auto parts store like AutoZone. They will check its' condition for free. If it fails, they have RV/marine batteries in stock.

After that, if still nothing works, check all connections from the battery to the converter/charger. A loose connection will show 12v w/o load but if the connection isn't good enough under a load, the voltage will drop off cause "it can't flow thru a bad connection efficiently".
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleland View Post
imo, Your convertor is putting out the 14 volts that you see, but when you use your lights and/or furnace the dead battery does not have enough juice to get them going to spects. For the furnace to run, the fan must come on first before the flames kick on. I believe that your battery is most likely shorted out. when you get a new battery, check your convertor output. If it stays at 14 volts for very long then you have a convertor problem. If this is not fixed, then you will burn up your new battery in a short time by over charging it.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #12

You should consider joining the forum at Home - there are a ton of RV owners there who can help with non-FR branded stuff.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #13

Hello all, my wife and I are very knew to the camping world.
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #14

Welcome aboard
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote