Old 02-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #51

Like I said that one should do fine with tires, brake controller and a wdh. I was just suggesting was all and I'm the type that likes bigger trucks in case I upgrade my other stuff. In all fairness I pull a monster trailer with my jeep on it too so I can justify a 2500. My post was more just about price point too. The diesel market here in Utah is good for buyers, minus new tires and xm radio install my 2012 diesel with 6k miles was only a few thousand more than the truck you posted. But that is location specific and that truck should be fine.

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastz28 View Post
So i am looking at this truck here, driving it for a few days to see if i like it.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 for sale in New Baden - 3GCUKREC3EG438159 - Kehrer Chevrolet

its a 5.3l v8 and it has a tow package thing, the dealer said essentially what it does is when you're going up or downhill it tells the engine what to in regards to the RPMs. The dealer is installing an electric brake as well as a weight distribution hitch. i dont know what the gears are on this truck though.
The dealer is installing a W/D Hitch,what about (Sway Control)? Youroo!!

Old 02-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #53
Trailering noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The dealer is installing a W/D Hitch,what about (Sway Control)? Youroo!!
The TT dealer is.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:19 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the new trailer...camping is a blast and is our favorite hobby.

I also had to trade in my beloved 2005 Tacoma for a bigger truck when we decided to upgrade from a little 18-foot trailer to a 33 footer. And now the Tundra is too big for my garage so she sits out in driveway.
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #55
Trailering noob.

Welp, brought home the Silverado today! Going to take some getting used to, these full size trucks are comically big.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:52 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastz28 View Post
Welp, brought home the Silverado today! Going to take some getting used to, these full size trucks are comically big.
Congrats on the new truck! Pictures or it didn't happen though
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #57
Trailering noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Congrats on the new truck! Pictures or it didn't happen though

pics from the dealership
Old 02-13-2015, 11:56 PM   #58

Your New Truck

1Fast: Contrats on your New Combo of TV&TT. Truck looks really nice and you must be excited. Put some miles on it before towing your TT any long distance, to let the engine break in some.
If the Truck doesn't have extension Mirrors, you may need to purchase the type that slide over the mirrors, so you can see along the sides of the trailer-when towing.
Also, when you hook the TT to your TV, practice some towing it around a large empty parking lot. Apply the brakes on the truck while going slow to see if you can feel the trailer brakes working as well.
I don't know how much experience you have towing with a Truck, but as said, plenty of practice, doesn't hurt for when You and Your traveling group go have some FUN.
There are a lot of Experienced RVers on this and other Forums, that can give you some great advice.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:58 PM   #59
Trailering noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7RV owner View Post
1Fast: Contrats on your New Combo of TV&TT. Truck looks really nice and you must be excited. Put some miles on it before towing your TT any long distance, to let the engine break in some.
If the Truck doesn't have extension Mirrors, you may need to purchase the type that slide over the mirrors, so you can see along the sides of the trailer-when towing.
Also, when you hook the TT to your TV, practice some towing it around a large empty parking lot. Apply the brakes on the truck while going slow to see if you can feel the trailer brakes working as well.
I don't know how much experience you have towing with a Truck, but as said, plenty of practice, doesn't hurt for when You and Your traveling group go have some FUN.
There are a lot of Experienced RVers on this and other Forums, that can give you some great advice.
Thanks for the heads up, yea i've only ever towed a small U-haul so i'm going to definitely find a big parking lot and practice, maybe set up some cones or something to practice backing up. The truck has 17k on the clock so it should be ready to go. VERY excited about the whole thing though!
Old 02-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #60
Site Team

Congrats on the truck. So glad you were sensible enough to understand the need for upgrade. Make sure the hitch the dealership installs is a wdh with integrated sway control not friction sway control. So what you want would be along the lines of an equal-i-zer or reese dual cam. For your brake controller, if the truck doesn't have an integrated brake controller, you want a proportional brake controller not a time delay/ time based controller. One of the best/most popular is prodigy P2 or P3.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote