Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

New to Coachmen

Friday the 26 just picked up 2018 Coachman Clipper 21FQ from General RV in Huntley Ill.. Upgrade from a popup. Towing with 2014 Dodge Durango ( Not a Hemi). Since this is bigger than what I had questions on towing. Dealer said need sway bars and weight control, others say trailer not big enough and should be OK. The car did drop when hooked up but wonder if extra spring or helper shocks would be a fix. Anyone have a similar car and how did you solve the problem. Looking forward to a shake down trip when Spring comes. Camping is not new to us but the size of trailer is. Thanks Don
donsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. You should use a WDH as it will level the TT and TV out. Would not hurt to add maybe air bags or other helper items. Do not know what your TV tow rating is and the weight of the tt. You did not mention what engine option you had and just looking at basic vehicle I assume V-6 you rated at 5000 # remember that includes you and all others in vehicle including TT with it's max payload. just Hope your not over the limit. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum and Coachman, we too are new to Coachman but not to towing a trailer.
I tow our 19' without any equalizer or sway; however, my Excursion is twice the size of your Durango. My truck does not budge when I put the trailer on the hitch, if it did i would have sway and equalizer immediately. You are limiting your control of the truck and risking an accident.
There are many good articles on the subject here is one I would recommend.
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/blog/...g-your-trailer
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Your Durango's owners manual should have what you need to know, in the Towing section.
I'm betting that it will require a WDH with sway control for your trailer.
My Chevy Avalanche's manual did.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the fast replies. TT is 4000 and car rated at 6, so should be OK. The more I ask the more I think we will need the hitch setup. Live 50 W of Chicago.
donsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #6
Site Team

OH MY!

I just checked the specs on your trailer and you're making a number of newbie mistakes.

#1- you're using bogus "dry" numbers. Coachmen's website shows a fantasy weight of 4,074lbs. This doesn't include options, dealer added items, battery, water and cargo.
That trailer could easily weigh over 5,000lbs loaded for camping.
Also the loaded tongue weight could be close to 600lbs.

#2- your trailer is 25'6" long! Of course you need a WDH.
I towed a 24'6" trailer with my truck and there's NO WAY I would've towed it without a WDH with sway control. And you're towing with a short wheelbase vehicle.

#3- No wonder your Durango has rear end sag. I'm sure the tongue is over the Durango's max without a WDH.
If you had a properly installed WDH with sway control, you may not have any sag.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsadler View Post
Thanks for the fast replies. TT is 4000 and car rated at 6, so should be OK. The more I ask the more I think we will need the hitch setup. Live 50 W of Chicago.
Both of these numbers are marketing numbers like MPG. They are useless.

Look at the Max weight of the TT. Probably over 5000lbs. The hitch weight will be 12-14% of that so Over 500 lbs. Then look at the load/cargo capacity of your tow vehicle ( posted on sticker on drivers door frame). Subtract the following from the cargo capacity
100 lbs for the WDH
total weight of all cargo you will be carrying in tow vehicle
hitch weight ( 12-14%) trailer weight

If this number is positive you should be OK if not you are overweight and will definitely need a WDH. Helper springs do nothing to increase the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle. They will level the ride.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote