Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #1

Smile New to Forest River and Have a Strange Grey Tank Issue

Hi, i just purchased a new 2014 3050S sun seeker. on my first shakedown trip I hooked up to shore power and water and after the first night everything appeared to be working correctly until i just happened to check all my sensors (probably about 12 hours into our weekend). to my shock, my grey water tank was 2/3 full. i panicked. i wasn't using any water and I was at a state park with no dump station close by. I quickly unhooked from the shore water and switched to my onboard FW tank and pump. I conserved usage of water and did not experience any further issues with the quickly filling grey tank. the third day I decided to empty the grey tank at my campsite (it was a remote area and after all it was fresh water). I hooked back up to the shore water and have not experienced any further issues. I know i can just consider myself lucky and everything is working but what if there is something wrong with a valve, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue?

Happy Camper (I think)
MMMndp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #2

The sensors are notorious for being incorrect. When you emptied your gray water, did you notice how much came out? Did it seem like it was actually 2/3 of the tank capacity?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #3

Was hoping that might be the issue but NO it was actually quite full. Also checked to see if perhaps the onboard FW tank was 'leaking' into the grey but the FW sensor didn't register any change as it was still completely full.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #4

Are you sure it was empty when you started? I had my unit at a shop and they used my bathroom and fresh water like it was an outhouse while they worked on it. (I never went back) Maybe it had water in it from the prep?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #5

Unless water was running into a drain (shower or sink), my guess is that the tank must have started partially full. Of course a very long shower or two could do it.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #6

all sensors for grey and black were empty and all battery, lpg and FW were full when i left the dealer.

since it had been only 12 hours after we hooked up there were no showers, dish washing, etc., to account for even a small amount of grey tank use. i also checked all of the faucets, sinks, showers and even the outside shower (even though i know this doesn't drain into the grey tank) but didn't notice anything wet, dripping, etc.

i know it's the weirdest thing. i was thinking perhaps a valve just wasn't seated quite right in the overall water system loop since it appears ok now but i wouldn't even know which 'valve' connection could even trigger this kind of issue. other than that it could have just been a 1x sensor issue from the beginning and once i drained it everything is now working properly.

the good news is i caught it in time. the bad news is i will need to be more diligent and check all sensors more frequently.

Happy Camper
Old 05-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #7

You have entered the Twilight Zone

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, those tanks can seem to fill up unbelievably fast sometimes! Since our gray tank likes to fill much faster than the black, when we're really conserving, we'll wash dishes in a tub and then dump that water into the toilet.

One thing every new RVer needs to do with a new camper is (when at full hook up or when leaving somewhere) is to know the full limits of all the tanks. For us, our shower floor water won't drain anymore when that gray tank is full and the black tank holds a LOT of water, it seems. (And you can look down the poop shoot to see when it's getting near the top.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #9

Unless you have a small tank to start, 2/3 of 20 gal tank would not take long especially if someone left a tap on etc. Interesting problem as you ruled out the sensor by dumping the tank and I doubt there would be bleed off from the fresh water as that would cause serious health issues if fresh was mixing. Just throwing this out but is your grey also part of the black system?

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #10

I can answer that question for OP , on a 3050 grey and black are separate.I think either the grey had water in already and sensor was reading wrong or something was leaking into grey.Even if city water was leaking pass pump it still would have to be coming out a tap.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #11

Thanks everyone. It probably was something simple like the 1x sensor reading error. I'll just keep better track next time.

Happy campet😀

Tags
forest river, tank