Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

New to Forest River Forums

Hello Everyone, I also ran across this forum while researching a Windjammer 3008w TT. A lot on information on here that is so useful. This is my first RV purchase so I've been trying to do my home work before making the final decision. I still have a lot of questions I'm sure to ask shortly.
Rsbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsbcool
Hello Everyone, I also ran across this forum while researching a Windjammer 3008w TT. A lot on information on here that is so useful. This is my first RV purchase so I've been trying to do my home work before making the final decision. I still have a lot of questions I'm sure to ask shortly.
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Tons of knowledgeable folk here !
Ask away and good luck !

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #3

Feel free to private message me if you want. We have had our 3008W for about 17 months and love it. A few issues, nothing is perfect, but I would buy it all over again knowing what I know now. This is our first TT as well.

By the way--welcome to the forum! Use this tool--lot's of great advice and people!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to have you here. Ask away - we're happy to help. Although we do not have a Windjammer subforum, the Rockwood forum should have some information for you.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #5

We purchased a 3008W in July. Make sure the dealer walks you through everything, we got home and the furnace wasn't working, plus the mechanism to raise the roof vent was striped. We really like the Windjammer and plan on using it for two months in Texas this winter.
John
The Canoeing Capital of Canada
2013 Windjammer 3008W
2006 Silverado 5.3 with tow package
JohnBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #6

Thanks all for the welcome. I was told that the factory just started offering the diamond package for the windjammer. Not that I want to spend the extra money ordering one that thought someone else might be interested. Did the 12 volt battery come with the trailer or do you have to buy it separately? Is the 10,000 lbs equalizer 4 point hitch a good match pilling this trailer? I'm in Texas and am concerned the the 15,000 btu AC is not enough. Is this able to keep up in the heat of summer? The TT i'm looking at does not have the awning option over the slide outs is it necessary? if I need to ask in separate category i will move it. Thanks
Old 10-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #7

Battery should come with the trailer and I use the 10,000 lb Equalizer set up and have no issues at all with it. Trailer pulls great. Not sure if you can get a second AC unit and in my opinion the one unit has to really work to keep the trailer cool but we had a very hot summer. We place a pedestal fan right underneath the chill grill and it helps a lot. Also use a small fan in the bedroom slide when really warm. I would get the slide toppers. Wish I had them. Not much insulation in the slide roof areas.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The battery will be supplied by the dealer. Either they baked in the price of a cheapy or will give you an option. Typically, dealers will supply a small Group 24 marine battery, which is fine if you camp with power all the time. It does not have much capacity. If you intend to dry camp - camp without electric - than you will want to upgrade to a much larger battery or a battery bank.

The Equal-i-zer is a very well-reviewed WDH on this forum. I use it. My advice here is to learn how to adjust if yourself because the dealer will adjust if for an empty trailer and you will need to readjust as needed.

Can't help with the A/C in TX except to wish you good luck!

I like slide-out awnings because we camp under lots of trees usually. Very nice not to have to clean if off every time we leave. Its much cheaper (usually) as a factory add-on.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #9

All very good advise thanks to all.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Don't Camp Enough

Hi! We also have a 3008W and have enjoy it greatly. We camp every summer in St. Augustine. Usually in July or August. Our '06 8314 struggled with the 13.5K A/C (as you can imagine.)
When we traded it in on the 3008W we opted for the 15K A/C, as you mentioned, and also opted for the thermal windows (about $900, as I recall). What a BIG difference!! With outside temps mid to high 90's we were very comfortable and pleased to have this option.
We expect our winter trips to have the same effect.
Have fun!

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsbcool View Post
Good plan!
BTW to the forums!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #12

Looks like we have a deal on the 3008w. I having window tint place on all the window to help out the AC unit during the hot summer. The dealer suggested this peppermint solution that is applied on the undercarriage and frame to keep mice from entering. Don't remember the brand name does anyone have an opinion about this. This came up since its first trip is to the ranch.