Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #1

New to FR and new to RVing in Alberta

We just picked up our 2013 (that's what they call it) Forester 3011DS on Friday and immediately headed out to camp. We threw a bunch of stuff in the coach in about 2 hours and had a blast all weekend.

We love the layout of the 3011 as we will be retiring in about a year and plan on doing some serious camping around North America - starting out slowly now to build our kit and knowledge.

While we love the 3011, a couple of things popped up that perturbed me -- a MAJOR squeak with every bounce while driving -- I have no idea how to track that down.

Also the Magnadyne (I believe it's an M4-LCD (but it could be an M3) - it seems to lack the Sirius satellite, and has significant issues with my iPhone. While it does control play, I'm unable to play music, DVDs or anything else through the system. More kinks to work out.

On the other hand SWMBO and I had a lovely outing - windy, but the vehicle handled quite well - and managed to get everything dumped without a disaster.

I'll be checking back with the dealer I guess to try and get the few silly things sorted out - other than that, I'm very happy!!
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome and congrats on your new Forrester! Little problems are par for the course with any new RV and I'm sure others with the unit can help.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
We just picked up our 2013 (that's what they call it) Forester 3011DS on Friday and immediately headed out to camp. We threw a bunch of stuff in the coach in about 2 hours and had a blast all weekend.

We love the layout of the 3011 as we will be retiring in about a year and plan on doing some serious camping around North America - starting out slowly now to build our kit and knowledge.

While we love the 3011, a couple of things popped up that perturbed me -- a MAJOR squeak with every bounce while driving -- I have no idea how to track that down.

Also the Magnadyne (I believe it's an M4-LCD (but it could be an M3) - it seems to lack the Sirius satellite, and has significant issues with my iPhone. While it does control play, I'm unable to play music, DVDs or anything else through the system. More kinks to work out.

On the other hand SWMBO and I had a lovely outing - windy, but the vehicle handled quite well - and managed to get everything dumped without a disaster.

I'll be checking back with the dealer I guess to try and get the few silly things sorted out - other than that, I'm very happy!!
You a retired Tax Man?

Let us know what places you tried in Alberta, we want to travel that way later in the fall.

Glen & Janice
Old 08-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
We just picked up our 2013 (that's what they call it) Forester 3011DS on Friday and immediately headed out to camp. We threw a bunch of stuff in the coach in about 2 hours and had a blast all weekend.!!
Dinosaur Provincial Park is an easy destination, although I suggest looking at maps and not necessarily following google/Mapquest directions. Another nifty destination is Writing On Stone, another provincial Park that is also a Unesco World Heritage site. Both of these parks have some electric sites, and both of them have nice interpretive centers as well as tours into otherwise inaccessible areas. The Alberta reservations system often looks booked, but because people can cancel reservations with 2 days notice and only a $5 penalty, you see lots of sites opening up again, be quick and snag one!

If you are coming from Calgary to Writing on Stone, you turn at Milk River. The second exit has a nice visitor interpretive center and a free dump station, which is less busy than the one at Writing On Stone when every body is trying to leave at the end of a weekend.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #5

Hi fellow Albertan, from a former Albertan here and to the forums.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote