Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #1

New to FR Forum from Olathe, KS

I've been lurking for quite some time as I've researched what type of toy hauler I want. I've finally settled on the Hyper Lite 27 HFS-EP. I'm a bit concerned that it will push the limits of my TV. Actually, from my calculations it will be a distinct challenge to not breach my limits.

I thought briefly about the 19HFS-EP & 24HFS-EP. I just don't like the open floor plan of either one. I prefer a garage. Whatever I go with will be brand new fully loaded w/Onan and I plan on keeping it awhile. So I don't want to settle.

My TV: 2011 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 5.7 3.55

I'd be hauling one or both bikes: 2011 ZX10-R & 2012 CVO Street Glide

Excellent amount of information and wealth of knowledge on this forum. Glad to be here learning from you RV veterans.

Only experience I have with towing is from a previous job 15 years ago with Lucent Technologies. I was part of the mobile calibration team. We hauled 26,000 lb 5th wheels w/reverse pin hitch.

Be safe, have fun, and happy towing.

V-Dub
2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide CVO - V&H HO's & PC-V
V-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #2

Welcome! Good to hede from another Kansan.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
daydreaming about camping

If I am reading the info correct, you probably have a 1200 lb payload and a 8500 trailer tow rating.

The trailer you are looking at has a GVRW of 9700 lbs and "dry" tongue weight of 900 lbs. It is a little tongue heavy as it is a toy hauler.

If you were loaded to say 8500 lbs you tongue weight would be around 1200 lbs, which means you could not haul any other people or gear in the truck.

While I see plenty of people tow like that, just saying, you are going to be over your weight limits.

just curious, what dealers are you looking at?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
If I am reading the info correct, you probably have a 1200 lb payload and a 8500 trailer tow rating.

The trailer you are looking at has a GVRW of 9700 lbs and "dry" tongue weight of 900 lbs. It is a little tongue heavy as it is a toy hauler.

If you were loaded to say 8500 lbs you tongue weight would be around 1200 lbs, which means you could not haul any other people or gear in the truck.

While I see plenty of people tow like that, just saying, you are going to be over your weight limits.

just curious, what dealers are you looking at?
Thanks for the info...truly appreciated.

Correct, when I put in my VIN information in Ram's online tool it gave me 1262 payload and 8300 tow. That is what drove my concern with this particular TH. Per my calculations, I'll be at ~7900 lbs without my ZX10. In that, I'm estimating about 600 lbs for "stuff"; 860 lbs for the CVO; and ~180 lbs for liquids.

I'm assuming light on liquids because I figure I'd have the opportunity to gas up as I get close to my destination thus minimizing any distance overweight. Also...I'm taking a newbie stab at the "stuff" weight estimation and grossly estimating I'll be setting up at a site with services so I don't need to fill my FW tank.

Granted...this is FAR from an optimum set up. However, the decision I have to make is either wait till I get a better TV or go with a smaller TH. One thing I've learned from experience is to buy what I want the 1st time. In this case, I bought my TV with that in mind but towing was very distant on my list of priorities. Like I said in my initial post, I could probably stomach the 19 or 24 variants but I know me and I'd be looking to trade due to inadequateness for my want/need.

It boils down to me taking a loss either to get the correct TV or buying the TH twice but I'm really not willing to settle. I do not have a specific dealer in mind. Cursory searches led me to a 27HFS-EP north of Denver. That dealer had a unit equipped exactly like I am wanting. I'm not at all opposed to ordering either though.

I just want to make sure I ask all the questions now so that I make the most informed decision whichever way I decide to go. It makes it a bit more palatable later one when I base the decision on evidence.

On another note, this is my 1st Chrysler product and I really am impressed. I've owned Fords and GMs up to this point. Getting another TV in the near future was not on my radar. I was already focusing on a C7 later this year...so something will definitely have to give. I may just have to wait a year or two for the TH.

V-Dub
Old 03-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the forums! You are so ahead of the game by inquiring first. While it might had been the answer you were seeking you still have some options including holding off for now. Can't be fun or easy but having a good match between RV and RV will be worth it.

and take care!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Dub View Post
Thanks for the info...truly appreciated.

Correct, when I put in my VIN information in Ram's online tool it gave me 1262 payload and 8300 tow. That is what drove my concern with this particular TH. Per my calculations, I'll be at ~7900 lbs without my ZX10. In that, I'm estimating about 600 lbs for "stuff"; 860 lbs for the CVO; and ~180 lbs for liquids.

I'm assuming light on liquids because I figure I'd have the opportunity to gas up as I get close to my destination thus minimizing any distance overweight. Also...I'm taking a newbie stab at the "stuff" weight estimation and grossly estimating I'll be setting up at a site with services so I don't need to fill my FW tank.

Granted...this is FAR from an optimum set up. However, the decision I have to make is either wait till I get a better TV or go with a smaller TH. One thing I've learned from experience is to buy what I want the 1st time. In this case, I bought my TV with that in mind but towing was very distant on my list of priorities. Like I said in my initial post, I could probably stomach the 19 or 24 variants but I know me and I'd be looking to trade due to inadequateness for my want/need.

It boils down to me taking a loss either to get the correct TV or buying the TH twice but I'm really not willing to settle. I do not have a specific dealer in mind. Cursory searches led me to a 27HFS-EP north of Denver. That dealer had a unit equipped exactly like I am wanting. I'm not at all opposed to ordering either though.

I just want to make sure I ask all the questions now so that I make the most informed decision whichever way I decide to go. It makes it a bit more palatable later one when I base the decision on evidence.

On another note, this is my 1st Chrysler product and I really am impressed. I've owned Fords and GMs up to this point. Getting another TV in the near future was not on my radar. I was already focusing on a C7 later this year...so something will definitely have to give. I may just have to wait a year or two for the TH.

V-Dub
From what you say my guess is you are going to be hauling more toys around year after year. That is basically how I ended up in a diesel truck. Started with a boat, then got a Jeep, then got a larger boat, then got a larger Jeep...it was diesel truck time.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #8

When figuring my weights, I'm finding that I need a little guidance from you guys with experience. Here are my questions:

1) Do you generally tow with a full FW tank?
2) The Gray & Black capacities shouldn't be a concern in calculating towing numbers since I'll be able to dump before leaving my destination, correct?
3) Am I underestimating 600lbs of "stuff" (linens, clothes, electronics, food, cookware, consumables, cables, tools, etc)?
4) I've been wanting a fully loaded unit equipped with an Onan 4.0. Do you find yourself using your generator much? I'm trying to determine if it's a need or nicety. It's only 178lbs but they're ~$2.8k from what I'm finding.
5) Understanding that I'll want to invest in some sort of equalizing/weight distribution hitch, does that added weight count against payload or towing capacity?

Appreciate the help. It is tough making decisions when virtually new to something. Just want to get as much info as possible before I commit.

V-Dub
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
Working the Life

[

A: this will depend if you are going dry camping or going to a facility with hookups. I have used the FW tank to balance my unit to obtain the most beneficial weight on my hitch. You will need to experiment with this and make use of a highway weigh scale.
2) The Gray & Black capacities shouldn't be a concern in calculating towing numbers since I'll be able to dump before leaving my destination, correct?
A: again depends if you are dry camping or going to a facility with hookups.
3) Am I underestimating 600lbs of "stuff" (linens, clothes, electronics, food, cookware, consumables, cables, tools, etc
A: everything you put in your unit counts.
4) I've been wanting a fully loaded unit equipped with an Onan 4.0. Do you find yourself using your generator much? I'm trying to determine if it's a need or nicety. It's only 178lbs but they're ~$2.8k from what I'm finding.
A: This again depends if you dry camp or not. I have used a Honda 2000eu for years and have found it sufficient.
5) Understanding that I'll want to invest in some sort of equalizing/weight distribution hitch, does that added weight count against payload or towing capacity?
A: Again everything counts. If the highway transport chaps pull you over they will use mobile scales to verify your axle weights. You won't want to be over weight on any axle.
Hope this helps you figure out what to do.

KD

KD Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Dub View Post
When figuring my weights, I'm finding that I need a little guidance from you guys with experience. Here are my questions:

Most people choose not to for a variety of reasons, but of course weight is primary. If you are going to dry camp somewhere, you will have to fill the FW tank.

more or less, yes. However if you find yourself somewhere without a dump station (or the dump station is closed for some reason) you are going to haul that weight until you can dump it.

3) Am I underestimating 600lbs of "stuff" (linens, clothes, electronics, food, cookware, consumables, cables, tools, etc)?

That seems awful light, especially in a toy hauler. Most people actually plan to add around 1000-1200 lbs when loaded fully. Just think of the groceries you will take with you, it adds up shockingly quick. on a toy hauler you are probably going to have some tools along as well etc.

you don't need a gen until you NEED a gen. For most people, once they buy a nice trailer they look at full hook-up only. But with a toy hauler, the places you might go may be dry camping (which means more weight for you.) The better question is do you think you will need a gen with enough juice to run your whole house or just enough for lighst and heat? then you can go with a small inverter style gen at less than 50 lbs or so.

absolutely that weight counts. Ever wonder how a camper with a dry tongue weight of 800 lbs is way over 1K when it goes across the scales? Not all that weight is propane, batteries and gear. The WDH bars and whatever anti-sway will add in. Most WDH/anti-sway kits are going to add around 150 lbs total to your dry weight.

Appreciate the help. It is tough making decisions when virtually new to something. Just want to get as much info as possible before I commit.

V-Dub

Answers are in red.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #11

V-Dub - I'm new to the forum from Olathe as well! We have a bumper pull toy hauler, and I will echo the comments above. Once you get started, there's hardly room for the toys with all the chairs and tables and everything else you pack in there. The same rules apply as your house, your stuff will expand to fill all available space LOL.

As far as the generator goes - we ended up dry camping a LOT more than we thought we would. Remember that if you are going on a long trip, you can easily overnight for free in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Your wife (and kids if you have them) will be MUCH happier if you have a generator!

I just bought a Class A motorhome last week. I have a Diesel TV (2011 Ford F-250) for sale in the classifieds, you might check it out! I live by Heritage Park and the airport, 159th & Pflumm.
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies.

Networx, I'm about 2-3 min from you. 151st/Pflumm. Symphony Hills.

V-Dub