Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #1

New to FR from Central Texas

First thanks to the FR forum members, this site has been very helpful with a lot of my questions. We are not new to RV's, we had a 99 Mallard 24J for several years and it served us well, it was broken in when we got it in 2004. So what I am dealing with is all the first time out things.
We are hoping to do a lot more camping in our Salem 30KQBSS. We went out 5 minutes from our house for our shakedown trip and definitely have a list to go back to the dealer with, but I think that is pretty normal. The FR Roadside assist technician was super helpful.....what a great service, we called at 8:00 on Friday night and they walked us through an issue with the water heater.

We are hoping to check out several of the State Parks this year. We went to Inks Lake with our old trailer the weekend after Christmas, that is a great park and we want to go back in warmer weather.

What are the best State Parks in Texas? We are heading out to another one on Valentines weekend, just have not decided where yet.
srkmrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
Site Team

from north central Texas... not far from Lake Texoma.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #3

Our favorite is Cleburne State Park. Cedar Lake is spring fed, clear, and no wake, so it's great for kayakers and swimmers. Great mountain bike trails too.
We've only taken our pop up there, so can't really tell about pad sizes, but it's one we repeat visit. Another one is Daingerfield, very woody and peaceful.

I'm sure you know about low levels on the lakes due to the drought, so no guarantees on that.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #4

I'm new to FR forums as well and I live in West-Central Texas (San Angelo). As for State Parks, I have only been to San Angelo SP and Junction SP. We have two small children (5 and 8) and went to Junction during the summer and loved swimming in the river there. Not much to do in San Angelo with no water in the lake at the SP during the drought. We enjoy going to Canyon of the Eagles outside of Burnet on Lake Buchanan but it wasn't much of a lake last time we were there, either. The drought is taking a serious toll on many of our SP's in Texas right now.
TrailAir Rota-Flex Pin Box
Dan'l Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:56 PM   #5

Welcome from the Texas Gulf coast. Stayed zt Inks Lake last year and are planning return this simmer. DW really liked the new birdwatching area.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:22 PM   #6

Welcome from another parrot head. Kerrville Schreiner park has some pretty cool areas on the Guadalupe river.

Desdemona...love it. Caught the lounging at the lagoon tour at the woodlands...best concert I've ever been to. Had to support Jimmy by buying a few $12 land sharks so he doesn't go broke.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:39 PM   #7

We are very near the gulf coast and love Quintana Park for weekend get a-ways. Nice pull thru spots, close beach access, clean bathrooms. Brazos Bend is also nice if you don't mind up and close with the gators!
Madollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post
Welcome from another parrot head. Kerrville Schreiner park has some pretty cool areas on the Guadalupe river.

Desdemona...love it. Caught the lounging at the lagoon tour at the woodlands...best concert I've ever been to. Had to support Jimmy by buying a few $12 land sharks so he doesn't go broke.

Salt
Our old camper did a few parking lot parties... We always make the Frisco show, have done Austin and the Woodlands... Did the Drive In last year...Parrotheads are awesome bunch of peeps. Desdemona is our 67 pound sweet rescue pit mix..she goes by Des and was absolutely named after the song.
srkmrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #9

Welcome from Arlington,Tx.
We are new to this RVing.
We have been to Eisenhower SP.an Lake Whithey SP.
Both are real nice. Got another trip planed for Eisenhower in March over spring break.
SP are filling up fast. Wanted to go to Tyler but was already full.
Have fun.

MKClark
2819VS Windjammer
2014 Silverado
MKClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #10

Welcome form another rv'er from The Great State of Texas. Happy camping from DFW.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote