Old 02-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #11

Ah BC Boy you are in comox that indicate you are exservice maybe?

Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by murry View Post
Hi, I am from Peachland, B.C. Canada. I am not a stranger to R Vs but I am to useing them. Have pulled alot put set up take down and camp no.
Just purchased a 2009 Survayor 28ft Bunkhouse. Hope to do a lot of fishing sights and some trips with the grandchildren.
I enjoy finding RV sites with stocked lakes. When I am on vacation I want to be sure I catch a fish...then let it go for the next guy/gal.

Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by murry View Post
Ah BC Boy you are in comox that indicate you are exservice maybe?
Was wondering that too.

Anyways, welcome murray.
I gather from your original post that you used to deliver RVs...?

If so, maybe you'll be giving us advice...on travelling with them, backing up, mountain driving, etc, etc...
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
First, it is Canadian, not Canadien.
And no, Canuck is not a rude term. We are proud of who we are, just as our American friends are. We just chuckle when people try to put us down for this or that.
And don't forget that our Vancouver NHL team is called the "Canucks". I am sure that BCers are very proud of their team and the name.
i was taught Canadien and i realize canuck is a hockey team but in the early 50's when i was a Canadian thats just the way it was in school we started the day with God save the Queen,there was no looney or twoney and we had meteor and laurentian cars and fargo trucks i am not trying to put any body down i was just posing the question . so i am still curious when did it change
proudly a former Canadian and now a proud American vet
brianj
take us
tncruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #15

Delivered for 4 yrs. Best advise I have from expreience. Check your hookup every time you stop and take a break. It is not common but does happen people will pull a Locking pin on you, you will lose the trailer. Other than that slow down, be rested when you drive. Manitoba & Sask. frost heaves will bend a fram. slow down.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #16

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
i was taught Canadien and i realize canuck is a hockey team but in the early 50's when i was a Canadian thats just the way it was in school we started the day with God save the Queen,there was no looney or twoney and we had meteor and laurentian cars and fargo trucks i am not trying to put any body down i was just posing the question . so i am still curious when did it change
brianj
Canuk came along shortly after the Vancouver Canuk hocky team formed. I could be wrong I 65 year old Canadian. It seems to be a toung in cheek saying some dont mind otheres feel it is a slang and do not care for it. lot of U.S. citizins do not care for Yankee, some do. Mind set.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
brianj
Hi Brian. It was a fair question - I don't think you were trying to put anybody down.
I'm less than two years shy of my fiftieth birthday and In all my years, the term "Canuck" has never been derogatory to me or anyone I knew (Leafs fans notwithstanding ).

I recall our Olympic downhill ski team being referred to with much pride as "The Crazy Canucks". For that matter, there's an old WWII vintage warbird at the Hamilton Museum with "Canucks Unlimited" emblazoned on the side.
And the aforementioned "Johnny Canuck" who was a 1940's cartoon hero -certainly not the type we strove to embrace in the 60's-70's!

I strongly suspect that those of us, here in Canada, who still find the term offensive are the same ones who are looking for something -anything- to be offended about. Especially, sadly, if it's something being said by an American.
Those types are still with us, I fear, but they're not as prevalent as they used to be.
I doubt any of them would ever be caught dead in an RV but you'll find plenty of them teaching university, or maybe working for the CBC. And that's as political as I want to (or should) get.

Personally -yeah, I'm a Canuck. A canucklehead even, if you please.
Make fun of my country and I'll laugh and make fun right back -while I hand them a beer (a good Canadian beer).

I understand where you're coming from -yup, it used to be an insult to some.
Probably still is.
But not to the easy-going RV crowd here -at least I hope not!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #18

As for being derogatory, nothing wrong with Canuck. Perhaps you are thinking of the Canadian term "Hoser", coined by Bob and Doug McKenzie? Use like "Don't be such a hoser, eh!"

Go Canucks!!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOC View Post
As for being derogatory, nothing wrong with Canuck. Perhaps you are thinking of the Canadian term "Hoser", coined by Bob and Doug McKenzie? Use like "Don't be such a hoser, eh!"

Go Canucks!!
That is one of the great things about being Canadian, we like to joke around and don't take things personal. Lots of countries look down their noses at us, and we just laugh and give them the one-finger salute!
We are secure in who we are.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
That is one of the great things about being Canadian, we like to joke around and don't take things personal. Lots of countries look down their noses at us, and we just laugh and give them the one-finger salute!
We are secure in who we are.
Right about now as a fourth generation American, Canada is looking more and more admirable. Safe clean, balanced budget, energy sufficient, controlled immigration, people respect one another......considering our neighbors to the south, you guys rock!!!

Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote