Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

New to Rving

I've been reading many great posts about the rv experience. I plan to buy a forest river grey wolf 29 BH. It suits my family needs but I am discouraged by all the facts you all have been sharing. I plan to use my wife's suv which is a dodge durango. I plan to buy the brake console, class 4 hitch, distribution weight bars... I hope I am not leaving anything out. If anyone has any addditional ideas, I'd appreciate your comments.Feel like this sometimes.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

Hello, I know my DW and I picked up our trailer after hauling a pop-up for years we forgot of all the extras that were needed...sewage hose, levelers, plug adapters, wheel chocks, sewer tote if camping in a CG where full hook-up is not avail. [dunno whowould carry around the 36 gallon one that the parts guy was trying to sell us, that would weigh 300 some pounds...] most everything else is up to your preference, I also have found alot of good ideas that were very cost effective on these forums, don't get discouraged.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Denver, CO

I think that may be to much TT for your TV. With all the stuff you'll carry, it will be hard to stay within the rating. AND there are additional payload, axle and such capacities. You may be advised to stay under 7k GVWR and look closely at the other ratings before making the purchase. IMO that is.

Dodge Durango offers best-in-class available V8 power+ and the best combination of standard V6 horsepower and torque in its class+. So it's no surprise that Durango provides best-in-class V6 & V8 towing+, allowing you to tow up to 7,400 pounds+ with available 5.7L HEMI® V8 or 6,200 pounds+ with the standard 3.6L Pentastar® V6. That's over 1,000 pounds more than the Ford Explorer. And the near perfect 50/50 weight distribution makes for neutral self-steering properties, stellar agility, and superior traction even with heavy loads.

Grey wolf 29bh

Dry Hitch Weight 753 lbs
Dry Ship Weight 5,969 lbs
GVWR 7,753 lbs
Old 05-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #4

Thank you for the info, I had not condidered the hitch weight because I thought it was included into the dry weight of the TT. I think I better downsize for safety issues. Thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #5

It's a big decision ~ yet it should be fun Do you have any RV shows coming up in your area anytime soon? It can be overwhelming, I'd suggest looking at floorplans (choose only those to study that you can comfortably tow so you don't fall in love with the wrong one) then go shopping. It can help to use the websites that give you values of RV's, especially used ones, so when you go you won't get caught up in the moment and overdo it. Also, if you investigate financing before you go, checking with your local credit unions / banks, you will know if they are offering you a decent rate or not and you'll already be prepared when its time to talk dollars and cents. We have found that in dealing with a large dealership, their financing dept has some ability to crunch the # (twist the banks arm).

Last but not least, enjoy yourselves. DH and I have purchased several and do tend to get caught up in the moment so we kind of plan for it ~ we also almost always buy used only to discover we prefer a different model but accept what's available. Patience is golden. IMHO.

Happy Hunting!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

Way too much trailer!! that sucker is 34' long and will have a tongue weight around 1000lbs. unless your wife's SUV is a 3/4 ton, it won't work either.
without info on the SUV, can't say for sure but if it's only a 1/2, still way too much trailer for it and definitely too much for a Durango.

suggest next time you post the specs on both vehicles. it sounds like the SUV may not have the factory tow package. if not, you have to duplicate it to have a safe tow vehicle.

the "dry" hitch is a fantasy number, just like the trailer's "dry" weight.
never use these for real numbers. it's better to find the yellow sticker weight of the trailer. it will have the trailer's actual weight when it left the factory.
then you can add the weights of the battery, water and propane to get a more realistic number.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Engineer of Crazy Train

I was thinking the same is Dan. Great SUV, Great Trailer, but not so great together. Being new at this, I wouldn't recommend being at or over your vehicle's limits. at 34', and 7700 pounds, and nearly 1000 pounds on the ball, I don't think your TV can handle it. Don't forget the family and yourself, if you have a family of 5, and average 100 pounds each, that is 500 pounds of family taken off your carrying capacity.

I see you are looking into a 4 bunk model. Tell us about your family, and maybe we can help you out. And tell us what year and model Durango you have.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #8

You all speak the truth. I guess I'm just going to get the forest river grey wolf 28bh. It is smaller and lighter and my vehicle should be able to tow it. I have 2013 durango v6 that will be equipped with class iv hitch, braking module, and weight distribution bars.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Denver, CO

You are still not there, with the v6 you lost more than a thousand pounds on trailer wt. in reality you should be shooting for about a 5K GVWR. In order to be sure that you are not gonna kill the Durango towing your new TT. With a 1/2 ton you will be up over your payload capacity pretty fast, even then when you load up.

Durango

6,200 pounds+ with the standard 3.6L Pentastar® V6.

Grey Wolf 28BH

Dry Hitch Weight 681 lbs
Dry Ship Weight 5,339 lbs
GVWR 7,681 lbs
Cargo Carrying Capacity 2,302 lbs
Exterior Length 31 ft
Exterior Height
Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

yep, still too much trailer for that Durango.
you did it backwards. you should have picked the trailer you wanted, THEN bought the tow vehicle to pull it.

buying a v-6 SUV, even with the Penastar engine, has locked you in to needing to get a shorter and lighter trailer.
that 6200lbs. towing capacity is with only a 150lb. driver in the car.
with a family, WDH and cargo in the Durango, that number drops by their weight amounts.
and hardly anyone recommends pulling at 100% capacity, especially with a family onboard.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote