Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #1

New to RVing

We have decided that we no longer want to sleep on the ground so are tossing the tent and going with a small TT. My husband is newly retired and I will follow in a year or 2. Since I am a School Nurse, we will have summers to travel. Plan to visit National parks out west, perhaps up to Nova Scotia. Would love to say I have visited all 50 states!
Have looked at lots of late model used ones from private owners and concerned about hidden problems. We read some forum threads and were able to go back a second and third time looking for problems (and found them). Now looking at dealer left-overs - mostly 2013s. Yesterday looked at Apex189FBS, Surveyor Cadet SC186, Clipper 17FQ and KZ 19SB. Our heads are spinning! We are pulling with a Tacoma 6cy 4x4.
Any insight from more experienced owners will be greatly appreciated.
bvforaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #2

Look at Flagstaff Mirco Lite .Look at the layout you don't want to rip the table down to make the bed or craw over anything.The size of the shower,hot water tank is elec and gas,counter and cabinet space that's some things I look at.If you look at a certain model check out differ dealers because I seen my model cheaper but it didn't have the features I got.Also I don't like the trailer with tip outs I had one and all we use it for was storage if you don't have kids they are useless Good Luck and happy camping.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #3

We started with a Flagstaff 25 KS. Great floor plan for two.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #4

Lol. I understand the confusion. We didn't look that long in time, but we looked at enough trailers to know what we didn't want. Most used ones are junk(in my opinion). If you ever bought a used Jeep it's the same way. We had a restriction of sleeping count. We needed at Least 6...preferably 8. We found a three year old 5th wheel that was like new. The owner was very OCD. Ha ha. We knew it was for us when we walked in. Nearly every thing we wanted. Of course...two times our original budget...that's how it went when looking used. Good luck and welcome from Arkansas.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Always Learning

For me, the very first thing we focused on was floor plan and we established a list of "must haves" from that. We also developed a list of "oh heck no" things that we wouldn't consider if the camper had them. From there, we found a few manufacturers with similar floor plans and moved onto quality concerns with some. Finally budget, of course.

I'm a geek and kept a spreadsheet of the campers of those that we looked at online and in person. It had columns for our "must haves" and notes for each one that we walked thru.

In the end, we're very happy with what we ended up with.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvforaker View Post
We have decided that we no longer want to sleep on the ground so are tossing the tent and going with a small TT. My husband is newly retired and I will follow in a year or 2. Since I am a School Nurse, we will have summers to travel. Plan to visit National parks out west, perhaps up to Nova Scotia. Would love to say I have visited all 50 states!
Have looked at lots of late model used ones from private owners and concerned about hidden problems. We read some forum threads and were able to go back a second and third time looking for problems (and found them). Now looking at dealer left-overs - mostly 2013s. Yesterday looked at Apex189FBS, Surveyor Cadet SC186, Clipper 17FQ and KZ 19SB. Our heads are spinning! We are pulling with a Tacoma 6cy 4x4.
Any insight from more experienced owners will be greatly appreciated.

i would think ahead before you buy. are you campers or travelers.

if you are travelers or a combination of both you might look at a small motorhome instead.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #7

We had an Apex189FBS. It was a nice small TT and pulled easily with of Toyota Highlander. The worst part is the bed layout. It is almost impossible to make the bed and how it is arranged someone has to crawl over the other to get out of bed.

The shower was way too small for me and just generally the unit was cramped.

We have a friend who bought an Apex214RB. They pull it easily with their Toyota Tacoma 2 wheel drive. I think it has a tow package. That is a pretty nice unit and light enough to easily pull with your tv. You might want to check one out..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote