Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

New to RVing and the forum.

My wife and I are taking the plunge into RVing and just purchased a 2004 Georgetown 306S with the Triton V10 with only 17,00 miles on it. This is all new to us and we are very excited to go our first trip in a couple of weeks. We live in northern California are in our mid fifties and will retire in a year or so. It will just be my wife and I and our two little dogs. Being new to the motorhome life, we have many questions and concerns. Is there any advice out there to avoid any "rookie mistakes" when setting up in a camp site? Is is best to run the generator while driving to run the air conditioners instead of the dash AC? Do most people add a fifty amp outlet at home to get the motorhome ready for a trip? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions pertaining to the 306S that we should consider with this particular unit. This looks like a great forum and look forward to all your expertise and advice.

Thanks, Ed
ejbc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #2

Welcome Ed,

Congratulations on the new to you RV. There will be a lot of learning for you in the months to come. Don't make the mistake that a lot of first time RVrs make by loading up lots of heavy stone or glass dinnerware and cast iron pots. Keep weight to a minimum.

Using the generator on the road to power the AC is only necessary if you get into temperatures that are above the ability for your cab AC to keep the rig cool. You might find it better to run the roof AC if you are pulling a lot of steep passes so you aren't taxing the engine with the AC pump running.

Usually there is no need for 50amp power at home. For normal storage you can get by just fine with 20 amp. If you plan on running the AC while loading the RV for a trip then you will want 30amp. 50 amp is really only necessary if trying to run 2 AC units at once.

Most of all, be sure to pack your sense of humor and take things in stride. Remember you are driving a house down the road so you do tend to end up with problems and things that need to be fixed from time to time.

You might also want to read up on the 12 volt systems of an RV

And the water systems

Enjoy the rig and have fun.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #3

Welcome, when I had a MH I always ran the generator while traveling. The reason was I could keep the refrigerator on, the roof AC would keep the unit cooler than the dash AC would, and it was a good way to excersise the generator. I plug into 20 amp at home its just enought to run items needed while units at rest. When setting up at camp site just remember that everone there has been there at one time.

enjoy
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum. We also have a Gergetown and was out your way last year towing a Saturn. We have done both, useing the A/C with the generator and using the dash A/C. Normally the generator and A/C does a good job. Most of the time I just open the windows. But when the temp is around 100, both go on and the windows go shut. If you have doors in your model, close off the rear of the coach so you don't have to cool down the whole coach. Again, congrats of the purchase...

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #5

Ed,

to the forum and congrats on your camper. Being new to camping, you are sure to have questions that need answering. This is the place to ask them because there is a wealth of knowledge available here.
Have fun with on you new adventures.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #6

Welcome to FRF!! Glad to have ya!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #7

ejbc20,

Sounds like we may be twin brothers of different mothers. Unlike you I have not pulled the trigger yet, but, very close. I'm just trying to negotiate the possible purchase of a Lexington 238GTS. 2006 model. Anyway, your post caught my eye; figured I could learn something from you even though we are both "virgins" at this.

Good luck and please let me know if you come up with anything us newbies should take to heart.

P.S. NWJeeper seems to be an active MH guy who might be worth throwing into your "favorites".

Safe roads....

Chaos
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #8

Welcome

Chaos,

Yes this will be a fun learning experience, NWJeeper sent me a link to some great information on the different systems in RV's. Having a good understanding of the systems will help us know how to troubleshoot if problems arise. Let us know when you make your purchase and good luck.

ejbc20
ejbc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I have a 50 amp circuit at home for the motorhome. It didn't cost too much more than running a 30 amp circuit. I already had a sub-panel in my shed next to the driveway. The run was less than 15 feet, breaker cost is basically the same for 2 pole 50 or 30, wire around $3-$3.50 more. Just the receptacle box was about $20 buck more. I did all the work myself which kept the cost down. I gave me a good rate. This way I run whatever I need to run. I've had my daughter and son-in-law live in it for about a month while waiting for the settlement on their house. Also out of town family stayed in it for a week when my nephew was killed a year and a half ago. I use it every weekend to watch Nascar or the NFL, it's may driveway escape!!
We run the generator with the AC on in the coach if anyone's traveling with us so it doesn't get too hot. If it's just DW and me I just use the dash AC.

to the forum. If there's anything you need to know there's plenty of knowledgeable people here with years of experience.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote