Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #1

New to RVing from Florida

Stopping in to say "Hello from sunny Florida"
I purchased a new 2011 Chevy Crew Cab 1500LT last Christmas with intentions of trailering my boat all around Florida, but during the Labor Day weekend I got the RV bug. Barely any research, I jumped out in the stream of things and went on Craigslist searching for my new escape. I found a really nice, barely used travel trailer at a local dealer and 2 days later its out in front of the house on the street with a proud new owner but I didn't research a place to store it when I'm not using it. The drive way is too steep to place it in the back yard, so Monday I have a plan, but all weekend I can "play in it" and figure out how everything works. The travel trailer is a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 33' manufactured in 2008. Now I am spending most of my time researching camping locations and quick get aways until next spring when I entend to start doing plenty of traveling with it. By that time I should have the hitching situation figured out and all the goodies that this RV has for me.
So now I expand my mind with all this new information and hope to meet everyone and make new friends in the coming years of RVing. Thanks for listening to me.
Doug
2009 Harley Road King 103cu (police edition)
FlaHarleyrider65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello and to the forums from sunny SoCal. Really sunny today with 92 temp.

Your plans sound good. Playing in the trailer can be helpful in getting to know how everything works. Checking out campgrounds can give you an idea of what to expect along with which sites are your top choice. Talk to other campers and see their feedback too.

Camping locally can be nice too. After all you are familiar with the area so if you need something you will know where to go. Also staying close to home means less traveling time which work well for weekend schedules.

I also jumped into RVing pretty fast too. At first the guys at the storage place would hitch it but that was a temporary solution. Hitching up on my own took a bit of practice until I felt comfortable.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #3

Flaharleyrider65, Ijust joined the forum yesturday after we purchased a 37 foot All American toy hauler to haul our two baggers arround in while checking out the country. I live in central Fla. between Daytona and Orlando off I-4. Hope to see you around the forums and maybe meet up one day for a trip to St. Augustine or something. TTYL, John
dfd630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to ShebaGinger
Hey any questions let me know. For the hitch you should make sure to get a good anti sway and load balancing set up like the Equilizer. Also make sure you have the electronic brake controller installed if your Chevy doesnt have the integrated brake controller. We live in Orlando. Since we live in a "deed restricted" neighborhood we have to park our trailer either in the HOA parking lot or a commercial one. Fortunately the HOA has lots of slots and at $400 a year it is much cheaper than commercial operations.
ShebaGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to ShebaGinger
We have been hitting the Fla state parks for about 2yrs and will be going to more over the next year. Next trip is to Manatee Springs in Dec. State parks have great facilities. Just dont have full hook ups. They have water and electric (30 & 50AMP SVC) and a dump station. If you are going to be there for a long time like a week you might want to consider a blue boy unit so you can drain the gray and black water tankks without moving the unit.
ShebaGinger is offline   Reply With Quote