Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #1

New to site!

Sorry for being so long winded. I come from South Easter PA. I am 37 years old and a tournament fishermen. I am really getting tired of spending alot of money on hotels that why we are looking at small class C RV's, plus to travel the country when not fishing. Tent camping is getting harder to do for my wife and I. Great site you have here. I am glad I was introduced to it.

I would like to know if anyone here knows of a site or perhaps some personal experience with towing a boat with a 22' class C motorhome? We haven't bought it yet, but seriouslt considering a 2250 Sunseeker, just the two of us and our yellow lab no kids. I am concerned with launching. My boat is a 19' tracker targa that weighs (motor, trailer,fuel incl.) in at about 5000# total.

And my other questions if someone could ansewer is my wife and I have heard that you can wirte off some taxes on an RV as a second home. Does this only include the Class A motorcoaches or could a small 23' class C qualify?

I really look forward to this site and going friends through the sitr.

Thanks for any infomation that you could provide.
Tracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #2

Tracker1,

I bought my Sunseeker 2300 for the same reasons. Towing my 20' Lund Alaskan is no problem, but the launching part still has me scared. I don't want to be "that guy" on the boat ramp. My wife follows in her CRV to use as the launch vehicle. I recently installed a front hitch on the RV so I'm ready to give it a try in the future. A class "B" motorhome is also an option for easier launching, I think Roland Martin has used one in some of his shows. Good luck in your search!

Phil
PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #3

Tracker1,

Welcome to the site! If your Class C / TT / 5'er has sleeping quarters, cooking facilities, and bathroom facilities, you can write off the INTEREST on the loan as a second home, just as you can write off the interest on the mortgage on your primary residence. At least, that's the law as it stands today. We've done it with our boats over the years. I once knew an accountant who put a gas bbq grill and a porta-potty on his pontoon boat and claimed it was his "vacation home." Apparently, got away unchallenged, too. The only thing is, you can only have one "second home" at a time.

Hope you enjoy the forum, and good luck with your search fo a class C.

Mike
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the input on towing and taxes, much appricated.

Yeah Roland has a class B but I am not at his level yet to be able to spend 120k on a class B. Maybe some day. The hitch on the front sounds like the way to go.

Thasks again
Tracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote