Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

New to site in NC

Hello. I am new to forest river's forums but not new to camping. I currently have a crossroads zinger TT pulled by a 2009 F250 4wd crew cab w/ 8 ft bed and 6.4L PSD. I have begun shopping for a new 5er and some of the brands I'm considering fall into the forest river umbrella. I will be on here asking questions and researching these trailers. I appreciate any and all help.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #2

Watch your pin weights. Altho an F250 is identical to an F350 with exception of the helper spring, the heavier trailers might make for unsafe travels. A lot of F250 or GM and Dodge 2500 owners beef up their rear suspension with air bags as a start. There's a lot of info on safe fifth wheel towing on different forums. Do your homework before a purchase.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Doing the legwork now. We are already looking at adding leaf springs and maybe airbags. I know I will be over my gvwr but fully intend to stay within my rawr. Trying to get some real world numbers on the sabres in another post now. Thank you for heads up though.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum neighbor. Where are you in NC? Lots of great places to go camping with your new fiver!
What Sabre dealer are you looking at? My previous fiver was a Sabre 31RKTS which I towed with my RAM 2500 with no problem. I added air bags to level the headlights. I am now towing a Palomino Columbus 320RS, also with no problems.
I bought my Sabre from Horizon RV in LaGrange, NC, and he is also a Columbus dealer. Jesse is the owner and gave me the best price as well as being great to work with.
Good luck.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hello. I think I have seen you on other forums before? Rv.net maybe? I used to live in cary near 64 and 55 intersection, so not far from Jordan lake (some good camping there). We are now in mebane not far from the tanger outlets. We are looking at the sabres at country roads rv near greensboro. Not a far trip for us and they seem pretty reasonable to deal with. Know anything about them? We bought our current tt from camping world in colfax, not that impressed with there service dept.

As for camping, in NC we spend a lot of tome at sycamore lodge and some time at Jordan lake. Tried a little county park campground near greensboro memorial day weekend and weren't very impressed. We have a few new places on the list to try out though.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #6

We tried to buy a fiver from country roads, twice with no luck. He wasn't willing to negotiate and I felt as though I was dealing with a shady used car dealer. Best of luck.
What model Sabre are you considering?
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
We tried to buy a fiver from country roads, twice with no luck. He wasn't willing to negotiate and I felt as though I was dealing with a shady used car dealer. Best of luck.
What model Sabre are you considering?
X2...kinda felt the same way when we were shopping for our Sabre.

Had a great experience with Norman Camper's in Atlanta,GA ...had to give them a plug here

Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We have been looking at the 33RETS and 34 REQS but they may be too heavy for my truck. The 31RETS might be an ok compromise but I really wanted more counter space.

Interesting to know about country roads, they never felt that way when we were there taking to them. We haven't sat down and talked numbers though.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #9

You have to be careful with GVWR too. God forbid you're involved in an accident. If claims investigators find you've exceeded the limits your fair game for litigation and insurance company headaches.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
Site Team

Hi there! Doing the homework or legwork first is very wise. Have you narrow down the list yet?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #11

Hi anaro - from another in NC. We're new in here too, but so far this has been a very interesting resource and everyone seems happy to help each other out. My aunt has a Sabre from Country Roads - nice camper.
Roo-Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Terier- we will go to the Greensboro shows in jan and feb. we will keep our options open.

Roo-woo - How does your aug like dealing with country roads? Has their service dept been good? Any issues in dealing with them? Thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #13

Weeell - my family lives in the opposite end of the state from me, so I only get to see them a few times a year. We did get two trips w/ her last year (of our 3 - newbies). And I should have added my parents also have a 5th wheel from there, but Sandpiper. As far as I know, everyone seems happy.

The Sandpiper went back in August for adding a vent in the bedroom and work on the tv. Parents had to haul it up here, stay with me, go back and get it the next day then on to Kimball Point. Everything seems okay!
Roo-Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #14

Welcome to the Forum, We are just north of Martinsville VA.

We tried Counrty Roads as did our Son & His Wife when we both purchased our campers (in different years). They were not very interested in dealing it was their price or no business. So we both bought from Econo RV Rt220 Bassett VA just north of Martinsville VA glad we did as they beat Country Roads price (considerbly).
We had to order ours as Econo is a small dealer but great to deal with & very friendly. They have had Sabre s but don't currently but can probably order what you want. We have a Puma Unleashed toyhauler.
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote