Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #1

New to the camping world

Hey everybody. So this ought to be interesting. We are buying our very first TT this weekend. We are purchasing a 2014 X-Lite 195BH. Will be towing it with a 2005 Ford Explorer V8 with the towing pkg, any hints or suggestions, I've got a 3 inch drop hoping that will be enough. So we think we got everything, but know we will probably not have everything. The only thing that is of concern is setting up the trailer at the camp site. Is it possible to leave it hooked up to the car or better to unhitch it. From what I understand this unit only has the two stabilizer jacks in the rear, will be installing the front two when we get home. Any hints on making sure it doesn't wobble to much. Will probably have more questions after the first trip. Thanks
jawga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Grandpa's big Blue truck

Should be a nice setup we had a 08 Expadition and pulled a 26' Dutchman and it pulled the tt wall you should have room for a larger tt with the tv you have. I would recommend a wdh . With the 4 stabilizer jacks it should be fine . Make sure the tt is level side to side before you unhook you may have to block the tires on one side to get your tt level and it is easier to do if you are still hooked up . The only thing that I see in the floor plan that I would recommend is the bed be able to be convertible to a couch don't see allot of seating for rainy days. Happy camping
Love camping with grandkids
russellsawatsky 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice. We had looked at a 24' trailer but I just didnt fell comfortable towing something that long with only an explorer. If i had an expedition or crew cab f150 I would feel better about it. We had looked at some models with the jacknife bed instead of the queen bed but wondered was this to much hassle or not. We have three small kids and thought it was nice giving them each there own bed to kond of keep them seperated while inside, which hopedully wont be too much since this is mainly a place to sleep and eat. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #4

Welcome and congrats on your new trailer. I looked at the floor plan and that's a very nice set up. As was mentioned, I would strongly suggest you get a WDH with built in sway control and if possible, have the dealership set it up for you. You will feel much more comfortable towing the trailer with your Explorer if you have a good WDH.

Leaving the trailer hooked to the Explorer will not help with the lack of front stabilizer jacks. For your first trip, you might just live with it then install the other two once you get home.

Our kids grew up camping and now our grandkids are in the mix. Our kids tell us their greatest memories growing up were while camping. Your kiddos won't be any different.

We spend very little time in our trailer but it is a nice place to sleep, shower and get out of the weather if necessary. As a result, we carry a 10' * 10' canopy we put over the picnic table and we spend a bunch of time at the picnic table playing games, eating and doing crafts.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice. DW had fun when she was a kid going out with her family in th TT and hopefully ours will too. Is one WDH better than the other or are they all about the same when it comes to name brand and design?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

We always fill our fresh water tank, even when we have water hook ups, seems to add stability.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawga View Post
Hey everybody. So this ought to be interesting. We are buying our very first TT this weekend. We are purchasing a 2014 X-Lite 195BH. Will be towing it with a 2005 Ford Explorer V8 with the towing pkg, any hints or suggestions,
Congratulations on your new trailer!

Your Explorer should be plenty with this camper. I note the camper has about a 3,800GVWR and the tongue will be approximately 500lbs at that weight (give or take). I don't know the specs of your truck, but I'd imagine any large SUV with a V8 and tow pkg can handle it with ease.

Quote:
The only thing that is of concern is setting up the trailer at the camp site. Is it possible to leave it hooked up to the car or better to unhitch it. From what I understand this unit only has the two stabilizer jacks in the rear, will be installing the front two when we get home. Any hints on making sure it doesn't wobble to much. Will probably have more questions after the first trip. Thanks
I think it would be a pain to leave it hooked to the truck as you lose the use of the truck. Also, it might not be easy to level front-to-back on some sites. We have only done that once when we arrived late at night and were leaving early next morning.

You will need chocks, of course.

Does this trailer have two axles or one? With two axles, you can use X-chocks between the wheels to help minimize trailer movement. There are other options for one-axle trailers.

Quote:
Is one WDH better than the other or are they all about the same when it comes to name brand and design?
I recommend that you get a weight distribution hitch that has sway control built into it. The Equal-i-zer is what I use and like. Reese Dual Cam is another option. If looking to save money, Equal-i-zer makes the E2, which provides less sway control than the original but might still be good with your setup.

The Equal-i-zer for your truck will be $460 for just the hitch and the E2 will be about $270.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

Thanks. Weight wise I'm good, without WDH its 500 lb tongue and 5000 capacity and with WDH its 770 lb tongue and 7200 capacity. It is a single axle. I have wheel chocks that I use when working on cars. I've got four total that are connected and make two pairs one for each wheel. also the ones I have are rubber not plastic, unless there is a better option out there. So I think I'm good there. It looks like after all the advice that we will not leave the explorer hooked up.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
2011 Forest River Stealth

Welcome from the central coast of California
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #10

So we ended up getting the trailer. soooo much better than a tent. The kids have their own little space which is a good thing. Only proem so far was unhitching the trailer. didnt realize you had to put down the stabilizer jacks AFTER you unhook not. efore. haha an older guy came over and helped us when he saw i was having problems. after retracting the stablizer jacks it came right off the trailer hitch, who knew. Well this ought to be fun. Its already rained today and no leaks, yeah. Thanks for all the advice and will probably be asking more advice in the future. thanks
Old 08-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #11

All good info, we will be making our first camping attempt as soon as the trailer arrives at the dealer. Very very nervous about it, but excited too!
sissyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping