Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #1

New to the pups

Hello everyone. I joined the forum without being an owner yet, but hope to buy a 2006 HW256 this Monday, Mar 11th. The only camping I've done so far is in a backpacking tent, so a pup seems like a lot of luxury. At my age (58), I hope I can handle it
Sam355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #2

Welcome, Sam and good luck with your purchase.

"Luxury" can be gotten used to pretty quickly.
The hard part is going back to sleeping in a small tent when someone has the brilliant idea of dragging you along on a backpacking trip.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #3

Thanks Don. Do you get to go a lot with your's? I checked out some pics of the inside. Nice.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam355 View Post
Thanks Don. Do you get to go a lot with your's? I checked out some pics of the inside. Nice.
I traded up from an A-Liner A-lite. The T10 is a lot more luxurious than I really wanted but, like I said, you can get used to it pretty quick! It is a nice unit and I'm very happy with it.

Where I work, we have a maintenance shutdown for one month in the summer. That gives me to opportunity to go play in the Yukon -or anywhere else I feel like going for that matter. Plus I work a schedule that gives me lots of 4-day-off stretches, so I get to sneak off for a long weekend quite often.

You'll have a blast in your new unit once you get it. Just having a place out of the weather where you can stand up -or sit at a real table- is a huge step up from small tenting.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #5

That's pretty encougaging to hear about it being such a blast. Laying out the money like this without really knowing how much I'll like it is a little daunting. But, I think you're right, my tent days of sleeping on the ground could very well be over.

I'm retired and with the weather here in the south part of the US so warm most of the year, it gives a lot of opportunities to go out. Although I just checked coastal campgrounds in Florida for the next two months and they're all booked up! Wow.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
...with the weather here in the south part of the US so warm most of the year...
Oh rub it in why dontcha! lol.

No doubt someone here will be along shortly with some good info on campgrounds down in your neck of the woods.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

Sam355, those High walls are very nice pups.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
Site Team

Luxury is a great thing to get use to. The funny part about camping & RVing is that many of us will work hard just so we can relax. In the end it's all worth it. Congrats on selecting the pup as your RV of choice! Please do keep us updated.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
The only camping I've done so far is in a backpacking tent, so a pup seems like a lot of luxury.
Luxury? That's nuttin' compared to convenience.
When you arrive at camp: Your bed is made up, your kitchen is ready to go, deploy the awning and your outdoor living area is set up, your water supply is on board, your stove is good to go, your "lanterns" are already to be turned on, your food isn't floating around in your cooler.
Add to that the luxury of dressing standing up! Oh, the headiness of it all.

Wright
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #10

Sorry to take so long to reply. I was on the road for 1,600 miles traveling to two different dealers in a search for a used pup. Salesmen at both dealers misled us concerning the canvas' condition, which was mildewed, bad on both the models we looked at (an '06 & '08). We made the most of it and stayed at a cottage on the beach at the Outer Banks of NC.

I think maybe we'll wait a year and save up for a new model.