Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Where am I?

New to this Forum

Hello!
Just found this site. We're on our second RV. Had a C Class before, and it only had the upper bunk other than the couch to sleep in, so we moved into a 1988 Gulfstream A Class with more room and most importantly, a bedroom in the back!
It was/is a fixer upper, and we bought it cheap, and we've put a lot of work into it so far. I can't believe all the work we've done on this thing!
If I had it to do over again, I don't know if I would had taken all this on. I'm SICK of working on it, but at least the worst is behind I think. It's definitely been a learning experience, and I know this RV inside out. Still got a few bugs to work out, so I'll probably have a few questions, and will be glad to pass along anything I can if I can.
We've somehow managed to take a couple of little trips back in June, and finally getting away this weekend in it!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Site Team

to the forums! While the project sounds pretty lengthy just think of someday being able to lean back and admire your hard work.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and to the forums. Hope you enjoy the stay, and learn a lot, and can teach others what you already know. While it may have been a lot of work, at least it is yours, and customized just for you.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Where am I?

Thanks! When we got our C class, it was a bit of a fixer upper, but not to the extent of this one, but we still bought it right. We camped in it for four years before moving on.
While this one is shaping up into a nice rig, once we get it like we want it, that's probably when we'll do the same with it! Ha ha, isn't that usually the way it is?
Old 09-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum. One nice thing about doing a fixer upper is you probably have a much better understanding of your unit than most of us do. When something does go wrong I bet you will know where to look sooner than I do. I'm sure the knowledge you have gained will be a big help to alot of others. Please jump in whenever you can.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Where am I?

More than happy to! Probably got a few questions of my own as well!
Thanks for the welcome everyone!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #7

Show some pics. when you get a chance.I always admire those who have the courage to take on a challenge like that.Any engine/tranny issues?

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattVader View Post
Show some pics. when you get a chance.I always admire those who have the courage to take on a challenge like that.Any engine/tranny issues?
Thanks! That's about all I've got in the line of pics at the moment. I need to take some of the inside since we're mostly done in there.
The Engine and Transmission are going strong, although the transmission loses fluid somewhere. Can't see any leaks, so a friend who is a good mechanic thinks it might be a modulator. We'll check that later.
Other than that everything is good so far with the drive train.
I just finished doing a complete tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor button, pcv valve, air filter, cleaned the carb, replaced all the belts and hoses.
Also flushed and replaced the coolant, changed the oil and filter.
Removed the old air pump that's been disconnected, and gave the whole engine a "haircut" on a lot of useless vacuum hoses and wiring.
The rig had a lot of wiring problems, which most of, I have repaired.
It's crazy. The former owners did not seem to know anything about repairing anything, and did some of the craziest things. For example, the windshield wipers did not work when I got it, and I found their fix under the driver's seat..... a bottle of "rain X"!
There was a switch on the dash that they told me not to turn on because when they did, it caused a bunch of wiring to melt down. I traced the wiring from the switch to under the hood out front. It was something that someone had added, and it went to the hot side of one of the solenoids. The other wire went to a grounded circuit. Also, there was a switch on the side of the steering column, that ran out under the hood and was tapped into one of the wires coming out of the computer, and when shut off, the engine would not start or run. Finding no reason or use for these two switches, I removed them also.
I have also repaired the windshield wipers and washer circuit. I also could not get the refrigerator to work, and found a 12 volt wire disconnected to it. Hooked that back up and it's been working since.
I removed the single A/C unit over the kitchen and moved it to the bedroom, and moved the skylight from the bedroom to the kitchen. I bought a second A/C unit and installed it in the skylight in the Living room.
The floor was the ugliest part of the whole thing. Someone had put some sticky backed woodgrain looking tile strips throughout the whole camper, and the heat when being shut in the summer, had caused it to separate and curl up all over. There was no built in couch. They had set in an overstuffed Loveseat where it should have been.
Out with the loveseat, and flooring, and in with new carpet and padding from front to rear except for the kitchen which we put in some nice tile looking floor. I've stripped out loads of excess wiring where someone had pieced and patched and spliced, swapped out the fresh water tank with a larger one.
There wasn't a generator, so I found a generator and just got it installed before we headed out on this camping trip.
I built a new couch with storage underneath, which is also accessible from a lock compartment door on the outside like it should be. Cushions have been one thing that has been alluding me until just the other day. I've got someone working on that now. They're going to make new cushions to fit!
We've still got work to do on it, but the list is getting shorter. The job I dread the most is re-sealing the roof. I'm going to do it just like we did the last one, using Conklin Products. I've got a friend in the commercial roofing business, and we did our last RV with it. It's the best thing I've seen for a roof.
Other than that, fix the problem loosing transmission fluid, and I plan to service the transmission.
The water storage tank, gray and black water tanks are fine but the guage readouts showing the levels are not working. So I've got to track that one down.
The fuel guage doesn't work either. I'm guessing it is the sending unit or wiring.
Hope I didn't bore you to death with all that. Pheew! Now I'm all worn out again just from thinking about it all!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #9

Man! Looks like you did a major overhaul.What frame and engine/tranny components were used in that particular model.I remember (way back) My sister and her husband got a Winnebago Chieftain,late 60's early 70's was running a Chrysler 440 commando and torqueflite tranny.Not sure who made the frame.I remember it was the first class A I guess I actually was in.

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattVader View Post
Man! Looks like you did a major overhaul.What frame and engine/tranny components were used in that particular model.I remember (way back) My sister and her husband got a Winnebago Chieftain,late 60's early 70's was running a Chrysler 440 commando and torqueflite tranny.Not sure who made the frame.I remember it was the first class A I guess I actually was in.
Well, I posted a reply last night but it didn't make it for some reason....
It is a Ford E350 Chassis and Drive Train. 460 with 4 barrel Holley Carb.
Yeah, it's been a big job. I knew what I was getting into pretty much, but still yet, I'm glad most of the worst is over.
Getting ready to re-seal the roof next.