Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #11

Herk, I tried Ginko but my wife took it away from me because my brain would not stop running at 100% all the time.

2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
Herk, I tried Ginko but my wife took it away from me because my brain would not stop running at 100% all the time.
you all are too kind.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #13

Wow Great Feedback...
First things first, what is YMMV and CCC?

Did I already say how great you guys are.....

Let me go back and punch my number back in, when I did it, it told me maximum trailer weight of around 5800 lb.. maybe I did something wrong.

Thank you all for the help,

Pasquale
Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #14

OK Redid the calculations but got differnet number.

the distributed weight hitch I have is max 800 LB and I used 758 (698 lb Dry Hitch Weight + 40 2x20 lb propane tanks + 20 lb two batteries) forTrailer tongue weight.

so I get Trailer GVW exceeds Maximum Trailer Weight. The provided trailer GVW (or GTW) exceeds the calculated maximum trailer weight. You should either lighten the trailer or provide additional information for a more accurate calculation. 6,154 lb

If I change my maximum tongue weight from 800 lb to 1000 lb like Triguy.
I then get 7,692 lb with 13% and 6,769 lb with 12%.

does that mean I need to replace my Hitch? or am I looking at the wrong thing.

Thanks,
Pasquale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Calculation2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	12431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Calculation1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	12432   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00100-20110922-1841.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	12433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00101-20110922-1841.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	12434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00102-20110922-1841.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	12435  

Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #15

Also Got a recomendation from the TT dealer to install the following on the Truck to help with the maximum tongue weight, they also stated that using these I did not need a Weight distributing hitch.

SuperSprings Self-Adjusting Suspension Stabilizers

I am feeling much more comfortable with our purchase..
Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #16

CCC= Cargo Carrying Capacity
YMMV = Your Millage May Vary
Sounds like the dealer is trying to take your hard earned money for what could almost be considered a dangerous product - It places all of the weight on the rear axle potentially reducing steering control.
The following is from: "Weight Distributing Hitch's will improve your trailer sway, weight distribution, and lower stress for trailer safety, Equalizer weight distributing hitch."
To explain what a WD hitch does, think of it as a bridge between the towing vehicle and your trailer. This bridge comes complete with an adjustable under truss called spring bar/arm or trunnion bars which join the trailer "V" tongue of the trailer to the hitch head and receiver hitch that arches the bridge upward to spread out the weight.. The head with the trailer ball attached to the trailer coupler/hitch, bolts to the shank which is "L" shaped with adjustment holes for proper hitch height. The shank slides in to your receiver hitch which is bolted to the towing vehicle's frame or sub-frame. This union allows you to distribute the trailer weight evenly to all axles of the truck/SUV and trailer. Thus the name "weight distributing" hitch.
On your receiver hitch or hitch receiver, you will usually see the tag with classifications for maximum tongue weight and maximum trailer weight. The lower weight is for WC which is "Weight Carrying" hitch or drawbar/stinger. In this situation all the tongue weight is on the WC hitch, draw bar. The other classification on the tag found on your towing vehicle's receiver hitch is the higher weight carrying capacity for WD which is the "Weight Distributing" hitch that spreads out the tongue weight of the trailer.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #17

Thanks Sreddy,

"A common correction for leveling a trailer, is a weight distributing hitch. Which is good for leveling a rig and transferring weight to all the axles. But taking weight off the rear axle of your truck can cause traction problems when you need traction to get your truck back in line during an evasive maneuver. SuperSprings with a good WDH with built in sway control is the best combination for towing, especially with a 1/2 truck or SUV"

I also found the above quote on the site. so maybe the best option would be to do both.

2013 Rockwood 2608WS
pasquale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #18

Hello pasquale, in my opinion, the super springs would help someone with an older truck or running closer to capacity than what you are. You have a very capable vehicle for the trailer you selected.
The dealer telling you to substitute them for the WDH is (again in my opinion) is irresponsible. I think if you take your set up to the scales loaded and ready to camp you will find that the weights are well balanced (remember to adjust the hitch setup after the trailer is loaded) giving you both good handling and traction.

sr
Old 04-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #19

Hello Sreddy,

I here you, I agree I think I will start by upgrading my WDT first from Max 800 to max1200 and see how that works. I can always have the supersprings installed if needed...

Thank you for the honesty,

Pasquale

2013 Rockwood 2608WS
pasquale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasquale View Post
Wow Great Feedback...
First things first, what is YMMV and CCC?

Did I already say how great you guys are.....
Pasquale
I think everyone here is happy to help.

Sorry about the computer jargon. I get lazy

Quote:
OK Redid the calculations but got differnet number.

the distributed weight hitch I have is max 800 LB and I used 758 (698 lb Dry Hitch Weight + 40 2x20 lb propane tanks + 20 lb two batteries) forTrailer tongue weight.

so I get Trailer GVW exceeds Maximum Trailer Weight. The provided trailer GVW (or GTW) exceeds the calculated maximum trailer weight. You should either lighten the trailer or provide additional information for a more accurate calculation. 6,154 lb

If I change my maximum tongue weight from 800 lb to 1000 lb like Triguy.
I then get 7,692 lb with 13% and 6,769 lb with 12%.

does that mean I need to replace my Hitch? or am I looking at the wrong thing.
The Husky hitch you have today looks to be too light for your trailer. I recommend the Equal-i-zer or the Reese Dual Cam with 1,000lb bars. These two have sway control integrated into the hitch. Nice!

Or possibly you can upgrade to 1,000lb bars on your Husky but you only have one friction bar so you should add another if you stay with the current hitch.

I think the trailer tongue weight of 758lbs you calculated will be too low. Its not so much a function of taking the dry TW plus batteries and propane.

I recommend that you calculate 13% of the trailer's GVWR because that will be close to your loaded weight. In your case, 13% of 6,698lbs = 870lbs.

Why 13%? Because it works for me . You can go higher or lower and trying to load differently for different tongue weights and finding what works best for your setup is recommended.

As sreedy said, look on your hitch receiver for the maximum tongue weight when using a WDH. The 1,000lbs I assumed was just that ... an assumption.

Your actual max tongue weight for your 2011 Ford F150 should be 1,130lbs (I looked it up - see attachment below).

Quote:
Also Got a recomendation from the TT dealer to install the following on the Truck to help with the maximum tongue weight, they also stated that using these I did not need a Weight distributing hitch.

SuperSprings Self-Adjusting Suspension Stabilizers
Again, as sreddy said, that dealer is wrong about the part that a WDH is not needed with these springs. Run away from him.

Even helper springs like these will require a WDH. I personally do not like the idea of adding them. I believe that a properly matched TV and trailer with the right WDH is all that you need.

I wouldn't add those springs until first trying out your rig. You have a very capable truck with the stock setup.

Good luck with this and let us know what you decide and how it goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.GIF
Views:	89
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	12442  

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad