Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #1

New to travel trailers

We picked up our new Rockwood 2601S last Friday and used it last weekend. Since a number of things came up, this seems like a good place to get to seek out some folks with experience and wisdom.

Its been a while since I've been camping (decades ago in a slide-in pickup camper); and I see that many things have changed (its more crowded, vastly improved technology, etiquette,etc.). I'm clearly an old dog that needs to learn new tricks.

Here is the first of my questions:

1. Is there a forum that Forest River reps frequent? I noticed an error in my manual; page 13 begins mid-sentence. (As a newbie - it is worth significantly more to me as a manual than as a fire starter as I have read elsewhere.)

2. When I store it for a couple of weeks between trips, is there a way of shutting off all battery power? I guess I could disconnect the battery at the terminal.

3. It seems that I shouldn't reference detailed plans (dates, anyway) for future trips in this forum. It would appear to be a trove of burglary opportunities. Although I found the tips and tricks part of the forum, I didn't see a specific security thread.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

Welcome Sasquatch. You can install a battery disconnect or just unhook one terminal from the battery. As far as the owners manual it is as generic as it gets. And about the stalkers waiting for you to leave I wouldnt sweat it.
Cherokee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #3

Thanks! I'm the guy that drives around the block twice - just to check that the garage doors are down (because I've forgotten more than once).
Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Papa Roo is right on the money.

A battery cut out switch was my (almost) first mod. If you look at the details most folks have no trouble telling you when they are on the road, just not so good at being specific about where they LIVE.

A firm sense of security is a survival trait. It is NOT paranoia since they really ARE out to get you! Get a good monitored alarm system. One that is central station monitored and will report even if you are not home.

Been notified a few times now while traveling that the alarm went off and had to send our house watcher over to check on things and meet the cops to do a walk through. All false alarms so far. One a spider in a smoke detector, another a crappy window repair (all me) that leaked cold air in a wind storm right onto an infrared detector.

You never know when something will cause a fire or some dufus decides to steal your favorite chair.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
2. When I store it for a couple of weeks between trips, is there a way of shutting off all battery power? I guess I could disconnect the battery at the terminal.
I had a push/pull type disconnect installed and love it! My dealership was going to install a little flip over switch at no cost but the battery cover wouldn't fit so I went to plan B which I am so glad I did. My battery was always going dead (which isn't good for the battery life) but that problem is now solved.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 AM   #6

Welcome. We keep our TT right next to the house, plugged into eletric, water and sewer if we need it. As far as security, when the pad next to the house is empty everyone knows it. We have good neighbors with good aim!! (the word around town is "I'm crazy" anyways... works for me ).
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
3. It seems that I shouldn't reference detailed plans (dates, anyway) for future trips in this forum. It would appear to be a trove of burglary opportunities. Although I found the tips and tricks part of the forum, I didn't see a specific security thread.
Let's see, I know your name is Sasquatch for Albuquerque........That ought to narrow things down some.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #8

maybe I shuold change my user name?? What you think mtnguy? are we all safe on this forum from Trolls?
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
Site Team

the FR manual is more useful for firestarting, than for actually helping you. don't worry about misprints because you'll get better info/help online or at forums like this one.

as others have said, a battery disconnect switch is a popular mod. many buy a marine-type switch.

and, if you going to be that paranoid about security issues, not sure if camping or RV'ing, will be your thing.
if you're going to worry about burglaries, break-ins, theft and so forth, you will not enjoy camping/RV'ing.
i've never seen any kind of security thread on any RV forum and i'm a member of 6 different ones.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:

The more information one puts on any Internet message board the more information someone else has access to. I wouldn't worry along as common sense is used along with beng protective of personal data.

Can strangers get your real name? Are you providing enough information that others can pinpoint the location of your home? I tend to be a little more protective and usually will generalize personal information.

I park my trailer at a storage place for several reasons. I would love to have it at home even though I know one down side that it could be a visual tool for others to know that I'm out of town but that's not a deal breaker nor the real reason it's not there. The main reason the trailer is not at the house is that I really suck at backing it up (really, really suck bad). Gosh, it still takes me about a good 20 minutes at the storage place if I have someone guiding me otherwise about a 1/4 tank of gas (about an hour).

Be careful and use common sense - there is only so much you can worry about & protect. Enjoy life

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
maybe I shuold change my user name?? What you think mtnguy? are we all safe on this forum from Trolls?
I think you be fine......and this comes from a guy that has privacy concerns.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #12

Thanks!
It's nice to find a place with good advice, a warm welcome, a range of viewpoints, and encouragement.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #13

I am sure someone can come up with a bad reason for my choice, but i dont dry camp or boon dock and my battery is really for trailer brakes and if u trip a breaker u will still have light til flip the breaker back...

I found this disconnect at Walmart for less than $5, $3.99 i think. It is made of softer brass type material amd was able to squeeze in thw screw to hold the trailer wires mice amd tight. When not needed i unscrew knob and leave on top of battery in my battery box
http://www.google.com/m/products/det...43609446356907
Old 04-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by leencharlotte View Post
I am sure someone can come up with a bad reason for my choice
old Army saying... If it's stupid and it works; IT AIN'T STUPID.

Works for you, right? Nuff said.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #15
Site Team

leencharlotte, i've been using the same disconnect for 4 years now and works as well as the expensive ones.

all i do, is raise up the lid on the battery box and turn it on or off and close the lid.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769

old Army saying... If it's stupid and it works; IT AIN'T STUPID.

Works for you, right? Nuff said.
Thats a mch better way to look at it. Thanks!