Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2011, 01:18 AM   #1

New Trailer issues

We were suppose to pick up our NEW Surveyor 305 tomorrow and got a call from the dealer today letting us know that when it was getting checked out at service they noticed many "cosmetic problems" and had to call the mfg to get warranty work authorization and parts overnighted to them from indiana.
Of course I am upset but curious if its normal to have a trailer come off the line having a list of problems that they need to fix? I love that we've made our first payment on a trailer before we have actually received it and its messed up!
does this happen often?
svamarlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
Site Team

yes, it's quite normal, no matter the brand.

if you did some research on RV forums, you'd find that a vast number of new RV owners have issues, especially cosmetic issues.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #3

Treat your camper walk through like the one you did at closing on your house.
You will most likely find even more issues. It’s just part of owning a new camper.
My dealer found a thing or two & I found another couple things.
DW & I showed up for delivery each holding a clipboard & a check list & a copy of the floor plan.
I left the DW inside the unit with the sales guy to ask her own questions while I grabbed my creeper & slid under the unit for my own look around.
DW thanked me for helping her feel she was part of the whole process.

We pulled out of the lot confident we covered the unit top to bottom.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Congrats on the new trailer and to the Forums. We had a list of items during our walk through. The biggest thing that stood out was all of the scratches in the full body paint. The dealer told us to make a list of anything we wanted addressed and bring it back after a month. They waxed and buffed the whole coach and it looked great afterwards. Most importantly, take your time and like previously posted take a pad. Between the excitement of getting your new trailer and dealerships that want to hurry to get to the next customer you may miss something.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #5

We pick our new one up in April. the dealer charged a "processing" fee to fill the tanks, put in a new battery, and test everything before we pick it up. I am still going to go through it really well before we leave. I know my wife, she will be all on it.
Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #6

I would suggest you look at several rv forums and pick out PDI checklists and use these as you guide. I put together a 5 page PDI list to use. It took me between 4-5 hours for my walk thru. A few days before the PDI I gave a copy to the dealer so they knew what to expect. At the completion of the PDI I found a few things, however I could tell the dealer had fixed most things before I even got there. In fact they had a list of what they fixed to show me! Even with all I did the one thing I missed was the cheap china tires. Cost me an extra $700 to fix that. Good luck and enjoy your new rig.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
DW & I showed up for delivery each holding a clipboard & a check list & a copy of the floor plan.
3HC, if if wouldn't be too much trouble, could you post your checklist? We will pickup our first trailer from RVW in Ohio this spring, and I want to be prepared for the walk through. I have no idea what to expect except to expect the unexpected. Thanks
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #8

Thanks for all the responses, Its been a long frustrating road lol so hopefully tuesday will go smoothly. I would love to see your PDI checklist bailer6334 if its not too much trouble.
I have been reading and it appears the trailer doesnt come with a battery from what people are posting. Do you recommend getting it at the dealer or hitting walmart? Anyone have any preference on which kind to buy?
Thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by svamarlins View Post
I have been reading and it appears the trailer doesnt come with a battery from what people are posting. Do you recommend getting it at the dealer or hitting walmart? Anyone have any preference on which kind to buy?
Thanks
Do not tow that puppy home without a battery !!! That is what powers your emergency braking system !!!

The dealer should be responsible for installing a battery.... accept nothing less.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #10

I get that I just wasnt sure if it comes with the trailer or we have to buy one at the dealer that day
Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I get that I just wasnt sure if it comes with the trailer or we have to buy one at the dealer that day
I would think that the battery should be included in with the purchase price.....I have never heard otherwise.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #12

oh ok, thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkconfer View Post
3HC, if if wouldn't be too much trouble, could you post your checklist? We will pickup our first trailer from RVW in Ohio this spring, and I want to be prepared for the walk through. I have no idea what to expect except to expect the unexpected. Thanks
I developed our check list by visiting the display model the dealer had on the lot over a couple Saturdays & it was tailored to what “we” wanted/needed/expected in the 5er we were buying.
What was on my list may not apply to your experience.

Like I said before makes two copies of the floor plan on 8x11 paper for making notes on as you walk through.
Take your time. You’re laying down a nice chunk of money on this thing. Make the dealer work for his cut!
There are no stupid questions. Well yes there are but ask them anyway. Again you’re paying a lot of money.

When you get it home, ice down a couple beverages & spend a whole Sat sitting in the unit reading the manuals.
Do another complete bottom up inspection. Guarantee you will come up with more question & maybe a couple more things you want the dealer to address.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Never heard of a camper coming without a battery.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #15

svamarlins, send me a PM and I'll e-mail it to you. Unable to link it.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #16

hopefully when I take delivery of mine in 5 to 6 weeks I dont have any major issues to deal with and I agree it is a good idea to have some sort of a check list when you do your walk thru to write any and document any discrepencies when you take delivery
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #17

Learn from our mistake--don't take it until it is all fixed!!!! We purchased our new Wildwood26TSS in June of 2010. When we went for pickup, there was water damage. We were told a door must have been left open, to go ahead and take it and camp all summer, then bring it back for warranty repair. We did, and had a punch list to them of other problems with the new trailer--refrigerator handle was melted, laminate on table was nicked, faucet was broken, etc. On our first camping hook up to water, we had a leak in the kitchen faucet that shorted out the hot water heater. They told us it would dry, no problem. WE also had a leak in the bathroom sink that caused damage to the bathroom vanity. It was supposed to have been pressure tested already when we bought it, and we use a pressure regulator when we hook up. We returned it for repair Oct. 2010. We went to pick it up last weekend, got partway there and received a call that the new faucet (faucet 3) they had put it had a leaky/broken seal, and would have to be replaced, so we turned around and came home. We picked it up later in the week, and found the following problems: bathroom counter outside strip was replaced (we don't know why), but it is loose, and not lined up with top edge, leaving the laminate cardboard exposed. The bathroom vanity was not repaired (wood parts) where the leak had damaged it. Mini blind that fell off while going down the road wasn't only not fixed, the blind is gone completely. (they said they have a new one and forgot to put it in). Where the water damage from the door being left open was fixed, it was very shoddy workmanship. At the refrigerator, the frame of the fridge is now BENT and there is black foam sticking out the top. At the entertainment center, there are staples sticking out everywhere, the slide out for the tv was mounted won't slide out because the shelf was mounted too low, there is brown wood putty on the ceiling, between the tv shelf and the trim there is a gap of 1/4 inch........the list goes on and on. We bought a new rv, and never got one. We asked them to just keep it and give us a new one since this repair was botched so badly. They said they would only give us trade in value, but we can't even trade it in anywhere else because it looks so bad. They had it 6 months the last time, we were told we had to wait for Forest River to manufacture the wood parts before they could fix it. It is a 5 hour round trip. We just want the new trailer we bought, and never should have agreed to take it as it was, but were assured it would be fixed like new. What should we do?????
campingsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #18

i found this one on line..
http://www.eaglecapowners.com/camper...Inspection.pdf
its not forest river, but it has some good ideas like brining popcorn to test the microwave , good ideas that i would not think of!
gear ratio
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #19

Checklist? Forest River has one that the dealer is to go over with you and you sign it and get a carbon copy of it. At least my dealer did it and the form says Forest River on it. Seems to be a standard deal with FR.

We bought at an RV show in January, a model at the show. We went to the dealership for the paperwork/financing and the form was presented then and filled out and we signed it then. I was a bit nervous that we did this 'approval' before actually doing a walkthrough.
It sat on their lot until last week when we got our walk through. It was hooked up for them to tow to our home - no water in it (still had the antifreeze in the plumbing). They assured me everything was checked and it would be fine.

I've now tried and tested everything (ok, maybe not every 110 outlet) and yep, everything is fine and works. The only glitch I found was the vent hose from the freshwater tank is not there and from posts here that seems to be a fairly common FR thing to forget. Probably not worth my time and money (gas) to take it back to the dealer for a fix. YMMV of course.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #20

Checking windows in the list above is a good one I never did and my escape window blew out on the last trip. See Flagstaff for more comments.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote