Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
Sunny Cove

New Trailer Options

Hey all,

We are to pick up our new travel trailer in Madison day after tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what we might expect the dealer to try to sell us in addition to the trailer, extended warrantees, UV protectors, etc and what if anything is worth buying??? Thanks Sunnycove.
Sunnycove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnycove View Post
Hey all,

We are to pick up our new travel trailer in Madison day after tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what we might expect the dealer to try to sell us in addition to the trailer, extended warrantees, UV protectors, etc and what if anything is worth buying??? Thanks Sunnycove.
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new TT! I moved your post to a new thread to help keep feedback directed to the right member.

When I arrived to take delivery of my TT my dealer didn't try to sell me anything. The extended warranty was brought up at the point of sale. There is a second year warranty available from FR for about $150 that most dealers do not inform buyers of. Do a search on that topic (green banner towards top of this page).

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #3

Just bought ours two weeks ago, pretty much what you said, overpriced warranties, protections packages, gap insurance (which is worth it IMO), rights to name any unborn children etc.... Just go in there knowing what you want to spend and stick to it. I know Forest River offers an extended 1 year warranty for $150, the dealer may or may not tell you this, mine did after the sale (I didn't buy anything other than gap ins).
NavySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
Sunny Cove

What is the gap insurance?
Sunnycove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #5

Covers the difference in what is owed to your TT and what it is actually worth. So if you owe $10000, the TT gets totalled and its only worth $5000 the gap insurance kicks in and covers the $5000 so you are not liable anymore.

The insurance is negotiable though, so if the finance guy/girl says its $950 tell em you will buy it for <insert price here> because they do make a commission on everything they sell you when you are at the desk. And if you are already pre-qualified through your bank I would ask them what it costs then compare it to the dealers price. I know in Michigan you have up to 30 days to cancel the gap insurance if you have buyers remorse.
NavySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #6

When I picked up my TT (which I don't have anymore since selling it) they took me on a tour of their store and wanted to sell me everything in there. I bought a few items such as Maxair covers, electric tongue jack, and screens to keep varments out because they were installing anything I bought that day for free. Just keep in mind RV sales business on site sells of accessories are over priced and are much lower cost at Walmart and other such stores, Ebay etc. If your handy with installing stuff buy somewhere else and install it yourself.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #7

Welcome from Ontario. When we picked up our Flagstaff, the haggling and extra this and that was already discarded. What they do is most give you a starter box full of stuff to get you going out the door. Some of it is almost throw away due to quality, for instance the sewer hose, after a few trips out and the cheap thin one they give you gets a few pin pricks in it and when emptying you get gysers of "Water" squirting everywhere. Along with the starter RV toilet paper. Take the box of freebees for what it is and when you go out the first time walk around the CG and see what others have done. You will want the heaviest duty sewer stuff money can buy, extra water hoses, shore power extension cable etc etc. You will learn tips and tricks from this forum. Go slow, unless you have a thick cheque book the stuff to buy is endless but sometimes that is half the fun. Happy camping.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote