Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
New TT for us

Howdy folks! My wife and I are getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2014 Wildwood X-Lite 261BHXL TT. We live in the Houston, TX area, and like to travel to sites in the greater SW. There's just so much to see and do. As you can imagine, it gets pretty warm during the summer. My concern is whether or not the A/C can handle the heat. The unit has a ducted 13,500 BTU roof top unit. I'm asking this because we didn't ask the question before we bought our present TT, and we learned the hard way. The A/C can't keep up with the summer heat. Temps inside have risen to the low 80s inside the trailer during the day with the A/C trying as hard as it can to cool us down. We don't want to make that mistake again. I read somewhere that you should buy your second TT first - how funny and true!
Any other hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
MI Camperz
I think you're better off with the 15K A/C, but barring that, here's a bunch of suggestions from a recent thread:
AC runs hard to beat the heat.

I have also read hosing down the camper with cold water helps (from roof down) and turning on vents while a/c running initially to help draw out the hot air.
Have fun and enjoy your new camper!

MI Camperz
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
I live near Splendora, TX, about thirty miles NNE of Houston and I RV around the area. I have a 2012 V-Cross 275 fiver and it is 32 ft long. I have two ACs, 15,000 btu in kitchen/living area and 13,500 btu in the bedroom. I need both in the late spring, all summer and early fall to RV in the area. Good Luck.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Grats. I just picked up a new Rackwood Mini lite 2104s From Toppers rv last weekend. It has a ducted 15k btu ac. we camped in it the weekend we picked it up it was 102 out and the AC on low and set at 75 kept us cold. Not sure what to tell you on the new wildwood you are looking at but i would suggest the 15k btu for texas summers.
If you want to make a test run with your new rv you can reserve a spot at Spring creek park in tomball. It has full hook ups and is FREE. you can stay up to 7 days every 30 days. Its ran by harris county pct 4
2013 Ram 1500 (5.7)
2014 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Thanks for the responses. I'll check into upgrading the A/C to 15K.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
I'm currently camping in south Texas with lots of sun, no shade and mid 90's. I have a 15 k model and would recommend as others have that you go with the 15k. My unit is comfortable most of the time but struggles between noon and 5 pm, which is when we are moving about the most. The living area stays somewhat comfortable during these hours but the two ends of the TT are not. It's really a lot to ask of these units, I'm still considering adding an additional unit but Ill have to wait until after the summer ends and camping slows down. Good luck!

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
We live in Minnesota, will be camping in MN, SD and NE. It was less than $200 to upgrade from 13,500 to 15,000 BTU's. This was a must have upgrade.

Adding a portable fan REALLY makes a BIG difference when it is over 90 degrees!

Welcome to the forum!
RasOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
You might also try reflective window coverings. Being aware of the suns position and closing shades may also help.
Alan, Kathy & Cooper the camping cat
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS
2013 GMC 2500 Denali
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Thanks for all the helpful hints