Old 09-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #1

New TT owner

Hello, I just bought my first TT. Its a 2003 Forest River Cardinal M-30FKS. I got a really good deal on it and it has been fully updated by the seller. I pick it up in a few weeks. I thought this would be great to see if the family will really commit to camping. If they do i will get a new one in a few years.

Any tips or info about the camper would be great.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 09-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Welcome to the forum and the world of RVing. Congrats on your purchase enjoy and Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #3

Welcome from Lancaster PA!

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - ??
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #4

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your first TT.

Link to pics:http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/Wi...?sort=4&page=1
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carvercamper View Post
Hello, I just bought my first TT. Its a 2003 Forest River Cardinal M-30FKS. I got a really good deal on it and it has been fully updated by the seller. I pick it up in a few weeks. I thought this would be great to see if the family will really commit to camping. If they do i will get a new one in a few years.

Any tips or info about the camper would be great.

Thanks,
Mark
Welcome from Southern Illinois, and Congrats on your TT.
Best tips of all; Learn about it, enjoy it, make memories, and just with it. The rest will fall into place.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new-to-you TT. I can't offer any feedback on your particular unit but agree with everyone else about getting out and camping in it.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #7
Chuck

Welcome!

Welcome to the world of RV ownership. Here is some advice from a long time camper.
1. Put your antenna down the night before so you don't forget
2. Always have water in your gray tank when you dump the black. Both valves should be closed before you open the black tank (always first). Otherwise, it will back flush up the line toward the gray tank. Dump the gray tank second to wash out the hose.
3. Make up a checklist and use it. A "things to check/do list" Like chocking the wheels before you unhook the tow vehicle etc. Putting down the antenna, putting in the stairs, closing the grab handle against the body. Making sure your dump valves are closed/tanks are empty before travel. Stow all missile hazards.....put shampoo, soap etc inside the tub, cabinet doors tightly shut etc. You would be surprised what a mess can happen if one comes open and spills all it's contents during a trip!
4. ONLY use RV toilet paper. Camco 2 ply is my personal favorite and the best value for the money. Also, be sure to use the packets in the black tank to help break down the solids and toilet paper.
5. Buy a bag or two of leveling blocks and learn how to use them. They are worth their weight in gold!
6. Never run the water heater when traveling. It does not take long to heat up a tank of water. The ignition could start a fire or worse at a gas station.
7. Disconnect the 7 way plug from the tow vehicle when parked. You could run down the truck battery.
8. Turn on the refrigerator at least a day before you are ready to use it. That gives it plenty of time to get to the right temperature. If you are going for just a weekend, don't take your whole house pantry with you. Get a Foodsaver and make up meals ahead of time or bring stuff to bbq. The last thing you want to do at a camp ground is spend all your time in the kitchen!
9. Keep critters out of your rig. This means keeping ALL food in airtight containers. Ants are VERY hard to get rid of if they get into your camper!
10. Have your roof professionally sealed until you know what to look for and how to do it yourself. Water damage is the number one cause of issues with most trailers.....either leaking plumbing or leaking roof.
11. Get out of your camper when you get to your destination and have fun!
2016 Rockwood Minilite 2504S 2002 F250
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150804_094900_crop.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	611.1 KB
ID:	120221  
Old 09-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #8

new TT in KCMO

Hello all, We are new to travel Trailer vacationing. We purchased a new
Flagstaff Micro Lite 2 months ago. We have been out 3 times, twice close to home and the 3rd we went to Eureka Spring AR, about 5 hrs away. Great experience. WE plan on going to New Mexico next month. It's about a 2 day drive. We live in KCMO. I am looking forward to visiting with everyone on this forum. Any and all advise is appreciated. We are going to Almogordo NM to see the White Sand Natl Park & Roswell NM too. (I do believe in aliens )
Old 09-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #9

Welcome! White Sands is a National Monument not a National Park so there is no camping there. Recommend either the KOA in Alamogordo, Boot Hill Resort (north of town), or Oliver Lee State Park (12 miles south). Don't expect trees.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenablanca View Post
Welcome! White Sands is a National Monument not a National Park so there is no camping there. Recommend either the KOA in Alamogordo, Boot Hill Resort (north of town), or Oliver Lee State Park (12 miles south). Don't expect trees.
Yes, we have reservations at KOA. So excited to be going on the road.