Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #1

New TT owner

Hi everyone, I just bought a Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL. Haven't been camping yet, I'm still learning how everything works. Cleaned my fresh water tank like the manual says, now have to get my propane tanks filled tomorrow. I pulled it from the dealers a couple hundred miles to my house, had help backing it up into the yard. I've got to do some practicing backing up on my own before I feel comfortable taking it to a campground. Anyone have a back up camera on the back of their travel trailer? If so how good are they? Well, I have alot to learn so please have patience with my questions I'm sure to be asking
monicamc49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

Its a GREAT idea to practice backing up for a bit before you head out on the maiden voyage with your new trailer. Whenever we switched to a new trailer (shorter or longer) we always practiced in a parking lot - just like with the very first trailer we had - an old Jayco pup.

Besides backing up, the following can help you if you are new to RVing.

Pay attention to the turning radius and practice tight maneuvers that you will find at certain gas stations and in smaller campground sites. Watch the tailswing and make sure to learn how the trailer's rear moves when making tight slow turns moving forward and in reverse.

The views from your side mirrors will take some getting used to. Even if you get a camera, learn to use your mirrors.

Pay attention to the height of your TT. Good to look for low hanging branches and buildings.

As for cameras, here is one recent thread for you The Camper Cam Project.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new camper!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote