Old 08-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #1

Question New / used camper owner issues =(

we recently bought a camper and everything seemed to work fine until we moved it for work. Now we are in south Texas and we are seeing flickering lights and a humming noise in the speakers of the dvd/surround radio.Also our refrigerator is not cooling but they freezer is? Anyone have any tips to help me with solving our problems?

Old 08-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #2

are u plugged into shore power when this is happening. trying to decide if it is bat or converter.
the humming noise sounds like the battery may be bad or a bad connection. i'd also check connections around the fuse panel and converter and see if anything is loose.

frig sounds like it hasn't been on very long; freezer gets cold first then the cold ammonia makes it down to the frig section. it takes awhile.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #3

thanks for the reply.yes ..plugged into 30 amp hookup in park.We changed our end of plug also. It did look a little warn.Should everything stop working in trailer if battery is unhooked but u r plugged up?
Old 08-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #4

no, it shouldn't. a bad battery connected can put a lot of drag on a converter.
if u have a voltmeter, see if u can measure the voltage in the DC fuse panel. check it on both AC and DC. there may be some AC component there but it should be very little. don't know what would be too much, but would think 1 volt AC would be too much. what i'm trying to figure is if the converter may not be offering enough filtering. the converters abt 20 years ago didn't do a very good filtering job. the battery will also act as a filter (get rid of the alternating current pulses). see if u really have 12-15 volts there also.
the frig acting like it just started makes me wonder if there is wrong with the DC. the control board on the frig runs on DC.

while i'm rambling, check the AC volts inside the trailer. that can cause a low converter output voltage.

the converter is usually plugged into an AC outlet (in my vast experience with 2 trailers in my lifetime, they were both plugged into an outlet). check that plug and see if it is in all the way.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #5

try disconnecting from the campground and see if the problems disappear when u put it on battery.
if they do, u may have terminals that aren't tight on the lines between the converter and the fuse panel. try tightening each one. there have been post abt connections not being tightened from the factory. it is possible for them to loosen with road vibration especially if they weren't tightened well in the beginning.
when u reconnect to the campground, leave the battery connected. if u have a voltmeter, the voltage at the battery should rise when u connect to shore power. should rise abt a volt.
bad grounds and loose wires are good candidates for hum and noise in electronic equipment. i'm sure low voltage can do it as well but haven't experienced that.
flickering lights, if ur talking abt the DC lighting (most if not all lighting is DC in a travel trailer...there are minor exceptions) points to a poor connection somewhere.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

it would help a lot knowing the year, make and model of your trailer.

Tags
speaker noise, refrigerator