Old 06-12-2016, 12:16 AM   #1

Bought a 2012 Tracer today. I'm concerned that we will be towing it with a 2006 Trailblazer and since I just discovered this forum and am new to camping, apparently my TB is not the right vehicle. As a novice, we bought the vehicle first, then fell in love with the Tracer. Anyway, one of the questions I have (of many more to follow I'm sure) is how important is a surge protector or an electricity indicator for telling me if I have power that is too low or too high? And (unrelated), do I really need the deodorizing pod things that go in the toilet? Are some types better than others?
Thank you in advance for responding and understanding that my questions will be all over the place in the beginning of our travel trailer adventures!

Old 06-12-2016, 02:09 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

It would help if you posted which model you have.
A TB should only be towing a TT with no more than a GVWR of 5000lbs.

Let me guess, the dealer said "Sure you can tow it with your TB".

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:22 AM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

Just looked at specs for 2012 Tracers.
The ONLY one that's maybe possible for your TB, is the 210FB.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-12-2016, 02:29 AM   #4
I go RV'ing not Camping

Yes you can use the pods for the toilet, or there is liquid that you can use, but you must use something in the toilet or it gets stinky fast. I use ?Blue Streak chem in my toilet, it is an automatic dispenser that works great

I don't have a surge protector for my trailer, but I am considering getting one, just haven't done it yet
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola tink View Post
Bought a 2012 Tracer today. I'm concerned that we will be towing it with a 2006 Trailblazer and since I just discovered this forum and am new to camping, apparently my TB is not the right vehicle. As a novice, we bought the vehicle first, then fell in love with the Tracer. Anyway, one of the questions I have (of many more to follow I'm sure) is how important is a surge protector or an electricity indicator for telling me if I have power that is too low or too high? And (unrelated), do I really need the deodorizing pod things that go in the toilet? Are some types better than others?
Thank you in advance for responding and understanding that my questions will be all over the place in the beginning of our travel trailer adventures!
I'm not the weight police as we call them but they do know can help figure your TV needed. But as far as the other things 1) most important you need to monitor incoming voltage very important. Progressive is the best either hard wire type or plug in.
2) you need some kinda of treatment for waist, either people use drop in, liquid or some even use what is called the Geo method. You can look up the combination of household chems. environmentally safe.
the Chemicals which ever you choose keeps the odor at bay and also helps breaks down the paper and what ever else comes out of you.... PS: Forgot they are pretty much the same except for the smell, I stay away from the pine myself.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:19 AM   #6
Site Team

Hello and welcome. Lots of helpful info on these forums. Please take a little bit and look around. What trailblazer do you have? What are the weights and length on it? Tell us about the Trailblazer. What is its payload, gvwr, gcwr, and tow ratings? Does it have the towing package (includes HD transmission cooler)? You likely have too much trailer for your tow vehicle.

A surge protector is highly recommended. I have the portable 50A surge guard. This article may help you better understand your needs.

There are many different opinions on what to use in your tanks. You need to use something. I am of the group that likes the geo method. many use chemical drop ins. The geo method helps coat your tank and clean your tank. No matter what method you use, Remember to always keep a few gallons of water in your black tank to prevent the dreaded stone mountain of stool from forming. Keep your black tank closed except for when dumping even if you are on a full hook up site. Dump when 2/3 or more full. We will fill with water if not that full. Make sure you flush your black tank either through a flush system or with a toilet wand. Dump your grey when do be your black to help rinse your sewer hose out.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Hello and welcome. Lots of helpful info on these forums. Please take a little bit and look around. What trailblazer do you have? What are the weights and length on it? Tell us about the Trailblazer. What is its payload, gvwr, gcwr, and tow ratings? Does it have the towing package (includes HD transmission cooler)? You likely have too much trailer for your tow vehicle.

A surge protector is highly recommended. I have the portable 50A surge guard. This article may help you better understand your needs.

There are many different opinions on what to use in your tanks. You need to use something. I am of the group that likes the geo method. many use chemical drop ins. The geo method helps coat your tank and clean your tank. No matter what method you use, Remember to always keep a few gallons of water in your black tank to prevent the dreaded stone mountain of stool from forming. Keep your black tank closed except for when dumping even if you are on a full hook up site. Dump when 2/3 or more full. We will fill with water if not that full. Make sure you flush your black tank either through a flush system or with a toilet wand. Dump your grey when do be your black to help rinse your sewer hose out.
Geez very good, where were you when I started out? First trip out with a used wildwood and my 2001 jeep I blew it up 3 times from Virginia to Tenn, and back. Cost me a little over 2000.00 in car repairs bill that trip, Stupid me I listened to the dealer....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #8

I know that my TB is 4 WD, with L6 engine, and has a GCWR of 10,500 (I think, as I am not sure of what the axel ratio is). We bought a 2012 Tracer 230FBS. If it is too much TT for our TB then all I can do at this point is pray over the TB! And tell y'all to wave as you pass us by on the road.
Thanks for all the helpful replies.
What about the wheel bearings? Do they need to be greased regularly? Is it easy to access?
Old 06-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #9

Oh! And yes, the TB came with tow package and has a transmission cooling system.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola tink View Post
I know that my TB is 4 WD, with L6 engine, and has a GCWR of 10,500 (I think, as I am not sure of what the axel ratio is). We bought a 2012 Tracer 230FBS. If it is too much TT for our TB then all I can do at this point is pray over the TB! And tell y'all to wave as you pass us by on the road.
Thanks for all the helpful replies.
What about the wheel bearings? Do they need to be greased regularly? Is it easy to access?
that trailer is WAY over the TB's capacities, especially hitch weight.
the max towing capacity of the TB is 5200lbs. with ONLY a 150lbs. driver in it.

the 230FBS has a fictional "dry" weight of 4810lbs.
that's for a stripped down version of the trailer. my HTT was 400lbs. OVER its brochure dry weight. the Tracer's actual factory weight could be over the TB's 5200 amount before you load anything in it.

loaded for camping and with passengers/cargo in the car, it will be way over capacity.

plus the trailer's dry hitch weight already exceeds the TB's max.

towing this combo not only is not safe for you and your family but others also.

what does the trailer's yellow factory weight sticker say?

Tags